Windows 10: Controlled Folder Access keeps blocking allowed app

Discus and support Controlled Folder Access keeps blocking allowed app in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have gone through the repeated tedium of adding, one at a time, .exe files to the list of programs allowed through Win10's Controlled Folder Access.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by NewNumber2, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Controlled Folder Access keeps blocking allowed app

I have gone through the repeated tedium of adding, one at a time, .exe files to the list of programs allowed through Win10's Controlled Folder Access. This typically works fine. I usually have to restart the app in question, and occasionally seem to have to reboot, but Windows eventually gets the idea.

Except for QuickBooks 2016. There is an app it runs called QBDBMgr.exe, the only copy of which Intuit's own install routine installs in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2016. I added C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2016\QBDBMgr.exe to the Allowed App list, restarted QuickBooks, and things seemed fine. After a while however, Windows began popping an alert that it had blocked folder access to that app, even though QBDBMgr.exe still shows in the list of Allowed Apps.

Any thoughts on why Windows is forgetting it had previously permissioned that app? Thank you for your help.

:)

NewNumber2, Oct 12, 2018
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Controlled Folder Access blocked

Hi Aeolus0,

The Controlled Folder Access is an enterprise-class ransomware protection component that was recently added to Windows Defender. When you turn on Controlled folder access, a lot of the folders you use most often will be protected by default. This means that
    content in any of these folders cannot be accessed or changed by any unknown or untrusted apps. Once you add additional folders, they become automatically protected as well. To add protected folders:

• Select Virus & threat protection settings.
    • Under Controlled folder access, select Protected folders.
    • Select Add a protected folder and follow the prompts to add folders.

If you see an App is blocked message when you try to use a familiar app, you can simply unblock the app. If this message displays:

• Write down or take note of the path of the blocked app.
    • Select the message, and then select Add an allowed app.
    • Browse for the program you want to allow access.

As for your query about having no sounds on your computer, it could be caused by an outdated or corrupted audio driver. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • Have you tried to download and install the latest audio driver from the manufacturer's website of your device?

Meanwhile, you can try the steps in this
    link
    to troubleshoot sound issues on Windows 10.

We'll be looking forward to your reply.

Eric Ber, Oct 12, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 12, 2018
  4. Controlled Folder Access keeps blocking allowed app

Controlled Folder Access keeps blocking my GAMES.

Hi Nathaniel,

Controlled folder access in Windows Defender Security Center reviews the apps that can make changes to files in protected folders. Usually, an app that is safe to use will be identified as harmful for security reasons. However, there's a way for you to add
    an app to the list of safe or allowed apps to prevent them from being blocked. Here's how:

• Select Start > Settings.
    • Choose Update & security> Windows Defender.
    • Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
    • Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose
      Virus & threat protection settings.
    • Under Controlled folder access, turn it on or off.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Aileen Alf, Oct 12, 2018
Thema:

Controlled Folder Access keeps blocking allowed app

1. Controlled Folder Access keeps blocking allowed app - Similar Threads - Controlled Folder Access

2. Windows 11 Controlled Folder Access blocking allowed Apps

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 11 Controlled Folder Access blocking allowed Apps: Hi, since the recent update to Windows 11 Controlled Folder Access is constantly blocking allowed software I need on pc. Mainly its Adobe Software particularly Illustrator and WD Acronis True Image. I need these for work and its getting frustrating and the software is slower...
  3. Controlled folder access blocked

Controlled folder access blocked: After updating to the latest version of Windows 10, I got a notification of "controlled folder access blocked". I don't know what this means or what I should do....
  4. Controlled Folder Access Blocked

Controlled Folder Access Blocked: Since I installed the latest feature upgrade a few days ago, I have been getting constant messages entitled "Controlled Folder Access Blocked" and I have not been able to make changes to Excel files. I have had these messages for Excel, Explorer, MS Edge, Chrome files. I...
  5. Allowing Apps. through Controlled folder access

Allowing Apps. through Controlled folder access: I have a list of 14 ".exe" files under the subject heading; there seems to be no way of deleting them or allowing them; the "+ Add an allowed app button" just results in opening up what appear to be I have a list of 16 ".exe" files under Allowing Apps. through Controlled...
  6. Controlled folder access blocked a program

Controlled folder access blocked a program: Hi. I daily get notification on windows 10 about blocking of xyz by controlled folder access to memory. But I have already included that app in allowed apps still I get this daily. Somebody help. Thanks...
  7. Controlled folder access blocked

Controlled folder access blocked: All of a sudden over the past couple of weeks, I am getting controlled folder access blocked messages. As time goes by, the messages are coming with increasing frequency. At first it was blocking programs like Foxit and CCleaner. The latest blocks are: Controlled Folder...
  8. Controlled-folder Access Blocked

Controlled-folder Access Blocked: I have started having a message saying "Controlled-folder access blocked" whenever I try to run programs. It says that Windows Defender is blocking them. These are popular programs. I have never had this problem before. I don't know what started causing this or how to fix...
  9. Allow an app through Controled folder access

Allow an app through Controled folder access: Hello I am not sure what this image attached to this question is asking I.e I have no idea what app is being referr[ATTACH]ed to! I am not even sure what the 'Control folder' refers to! I was going to look it up like usual before posting but I have many things open...
  10. Controlled folder access block

Controlled folder access block: Yesterday morning I was playing a game on my Windows 10 PC that requires me to have the disc inserted in my CD drive. When I went to play it today, I received a message that there was no disc inserted. I opened my CD drive and, lo and behold, my disc was right there. When I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. QBDMgr.exe is blocking Quickbooks

2. qbdbmgr.exe allow access

3. windows controlled folder allowed list