Windows 10: Cortana Missing Windows 10

Discus and support Cortana Missing Windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Yes there are thousands of threads like this, but none that seem to match my specific issue. I was having trouble accessing my start menu and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Timesagex20, May 23, 2016.

1. Cortana Missing Windows 10

Yes there are thousands of threads like this, but none that seem to match my specific issue.

I was having trouble accessing my start menu and cortana, I did some searching and found the issue was typical, so I downloaded the official trouble shooter for the start menu, Needless to say, the trouble shooter couldn't solve my issue, I figured maybe just a restart after the trouble shooter would help, since its possible the trouble shooter was a catalyst and I just needed to restart to solve it, and done, the start menu was working flawlessly, HOWEVER, the spot on the start menu cortana occupied was now empty, obviously I noticed immediately as I only have a few apps present on my start menu. So I did some checking and couldn't find her anywhere on my computer... Now, I know what you're thinking, 'you have to enable her in your 'locations' settings, because cortana needs to utilize your location....' Well, one step ahead of you, I checked my location settings and the cortana app is no where to be found... numerous searches show shes no where on my computer any longer.... I tried downloading her from the Microsoft website but all I get is a document explaining cortanas functions... please someone help, quickly, I use her often and I really need her particularly right now. which is why its so irritating all these problems happened right at this time...

:)

Timesagex20, May 23, 2016

2. Cortana Missing

It didn’t help. As I told you in the previous mail there is no microphone sign and no Cortana circle on the search bar. I was thinking to uninstall updates and reinstall them. Before the factory reset Cortana was there and was working . Please suggest
    something else.

Cortana Missing, May 23, 2016
  3. Cortana Missing

I recently factory reset my laptop and freshly installed windows 10.Now my windows is updated to the latest version but there is no cortana. Although the settings show cortana and search settings.In the screenshots it can be seen cortana settings are there
    but the assistant is not there.I thhink ive accidently disabled cortana.Please help.Please tell how to setup the cortana?
    Cortana Missing Windows 10 [​IMG]

Cortana Missing, May 23, 2016
  4. flybynite Win User

Cortana Missing Windows 10

You can try running following command in POWERSHELL as administrator Code: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}[/quote] and see if it helps. Otherwise you can hold down shift key as you press restart, go to advanced startup options, and do system restore. If none of these work, you can reinstall Windows 10 as an upgrade over top of itself, reset Windows 10 keeping all your stuff, or just do a reinstall.

flybynite, May 23, 2016
  5. Ok I tried the powershell thing, and I got this

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be installed because resources it
    modifies are currently in use. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073D02)
    NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] aaba9efb-b56a-0002-c8cc-baaa6ab5d101 in the Event Log or use
    the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID aaba9efb-b56a-0002-c8cc-baaa6ab5d101
    At line:1 char:38
    + ... | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (C:\Windows\Syst...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Timesagex20, May 23, 2016
  6. flybynite Win User
    You may need to restart.

flybynite, May 23, 2016
  7. granddy Win User
  8. Cortana Missing Windows 10

Timesagex20, May 24, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Did you launch the Powershell window in admin mode?
    (If you really want to find Cortana related files, use e.g. a tool called Everything by void tools, let it index (fast) and then it will find as you type- I get many results).

Make sure Cortana is enabled:
    Cortana - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

A last resort would be an in-place upgrade install (see Tutorial section) - keeps all your programs.

dalchina, May 24, 2016
  10. granddy Win User
    granddy, May 24, 2016
  11. granddy Win User
  12. davidhk Win User
    Why not just simply do a Repair Install instead of messing around with possible fixes ?
    The time you folks spent on searching and trying out tutorials, would be more than enough to do a repair install.

davidhk, May 25, 2016
  13. Cortana Missing Windows 10

How does one accomplish a repair install, and will it effect any of my files or programs?

Timesagex20, May 25, 2016
  14. davidhk Win User
    Repair install allows you to keep files, settings and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation is automatic.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

davidhk, May 25, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed.
    Post back the result, which will be on the screen briefly.
    Otherwise you can get the result as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, May 25, 2016
Thema:

Cortana Missing Windows 10

1. Cortana Missing Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Cortana Missing

2. cortana - Notebook missing

in Cortana
    cortana - Notebook missing: Welp, I've been running windows for some years. Yes I have tried Making sure my time zone/date/location etc lines up. I have tried everything I could think of, plus some, as well as every stupid and obvious thing the internet could think of!To be honest, at this point, I...
  3. Cortana Missing

in Cortana
    Cortana Missing: My Laptop Cortana is missing any ideas pls ASAP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-missing/92d293bb-d5d4-4441-91f0-42d69425d6d9
  4. Windows 10 Cortana "learn my voice" is missing

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Cortana "learn my voice" is missing: As I said: Windows 10 Cortana "learn my voice" is missing. If I go into "Windows Settings" There is no "Cortana" option. Even when I use the search box. If I open up Cortona and select the gear icon, it will open up but won't offer the option to learn my voice. Nor is the...
  5. Cortana doesn't respond to some commands on my computer. Also it is missing some features. Why?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana doesn't respond to some commands on my computer. Also it is missing some features. Why?: I was so happy when I started Cortana for the first time. But I was dissapointed quickly, because it is missing A LOT of features that normal Cortana has. For example, it doesn't have that taskbar on the left or the function to learn the voice, also some commands, like...
  6. files are missing in cortana app

in Cortana
    files are missing in cortana app: problems connecting cortana to the geeni app * Moved from Community Participation Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-are-missing-in-cortana-app/d5d73661-8f31-40af-a48b-7360a99fba86
  7. Ask Cortana box missing

in Cortana
    Ask Cortana box missing: Hello, I run a windows 10 with the version 1903, so cortana has changed to a personal assistant which can remember thing and open programs tell me what's scheduled etc. There are 2 ways to communicate with cortana, with voice and by typing in the Ask Cortana box but the ask...
  8. Hey cortana and cortana option is missing in setting

in Cortana
    Hey cortana and cortana option is missing in setting: I am using windows 10 home... In this windows i dont see hey cortana activation and cortana option in setting.. Is this any problem in update or not available in windows 10 home?...
  9. CORTANA' S FUNCTIONS MISSING!!

in Cortana
    CORTANA' S FUNCTIONS MISSING!!: [ATTACH] THIS IS VISIBLE TO ME [ATTACH] AND IN THE MENU BAR ONLY THIS IS VISIBLE. WHERE IS MY LEFT PANEL?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-s-functions-missing/099de354-164c-4fa9-8376-edafc27c12d1
  10. Parts of cortana are missing after last update

in Cortana
    Parts of cortana are missing after last update: parts of cortana are missing after installing latest update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/parts-of-cortana-are-missing-after-last-update/f9e79b5f-843a-407d-99aa-ad9ab0c04231