Windows 10: Cortana

Discus and support Cortana in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Oh.. that one. Please try it in a 'normal' admin account. And please try the suggestions in my previous post. As an in-place upgrade repair didn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Clint, Mar 29, 2017.

1. dalchina New Member

Cortana

Oh.. that one. Please try it in a 'normal' admin account. And please try the suggestions in my previous post.

As an in-place upgrade repair didn't help, the question is whether your user profile is corrupt. Hence try creating a new one.

dalchina, Apr 1, 2017
  2. Clint Win User

I made a new account and store and Cortana both worked.

Clint, Apr 2, 2017
  3. dalchina New Member
    Good - and not so good. That means your old account is damaged or corrupt, but Windows per se is ok.

So, your choice is
    a. Configure and use your new account (Move data, set up startups as the old account, any settings etc)

Note: you cannot simply log in as one user and copy data from one user to another, unless logged in as admin and copy files between standard users.

You could use Kyhi's boot DVD/flash drive (top of the Software and Apps section), boot from that, then, being very careful about which drive letters and folders you are accessing, copy files that way.

Or, you could log in to one profile, copy files to a folder not part of the user profile- e.g. to a separate disk or partition might be simplest- log in to the new profile and copy them back again- being two copy operations, which is less desirable.

Start-ups: for traditional 'desktop' programs, you should reinstall those that don't start up when logged in as the new user, so all their relevant folders are created in the appropriate places.

I was looking for a guide on doing this as I've note mentioned store apps in the above- which would require your new account to use the same login id. However, I've not found one.

Thus, guessing, I'll add you may also consider changing your old profile to a local account, then creating your new profile with your existing login id. Note: I've never done that, so that's an assumption, but should mean you have access to your present store apps and can download them again.

or
    b. Continue to try to fix the old account.
    E.g.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-store-apps-troubleshooter-for-windows-10
    Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10

Re-register Store app in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

dalchina, Apr 2, 2017
  4. Clint Win User

Cortana

I have done this.

What files are you talking about? Copy which files from where to where?

Clint, Apr 3, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Assuming you can't fix the old account and need to create a new user, and considering the data only:

You will probably have personal data in your user profile. For example:

Cortana [​IMG]

and any other folders you may have created.

All those are particular to a given user. Delete that user's profile (account) and their desktop, Documents, Videos etc will be gone. Nada. Deleted.

Thus when you create the new user's profile, that user's Desktop, Documents etc will have no personal content.

You need then to transfer the contents of the old user's Desktop, Documents, Videos etc to the new user's folders.

You cannot do that when logged in as a standard user.

Now, installed programs (especially multimedia programs) fill these typical folders (which are just created by Windows for your convenience) with their own folders. These are created when you install such programs.

Do not bother copying those. Indeed if the program is installed 'for all users', hopefully those folders will be created in the new user account.

Thus where you installed programs only for 'this' user, you will need to reinstall such programs either for all users or for the new user only.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cortana

1. Cortana - Similar Threads - Cortana

2. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?: Since I updated my computer, my Windows key doesn't work and any application related to the start menu don't work either. I've already reset, restarted multiple times, tried wsreset and cmd commands, and checked for game mode, and tried the Fn commands. This happened the last...
  3. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?: Since I updated my computer, my Windows key doesn't work and any application related to the start menu don't work either. I've already reset, restarted multiple times, tried wsreset and cmd commands, and checked for game mode, and tried the Fn commands. This happened the last...
  4. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. End of support for Cortana

in Windows 10 Gaming
    End of support for Cortana: While the decision to phase out Cortana may have disappointed some users, it's important to recognize that Microsoft is continually evolving its products to meet the changing needs of its customers. Here are some reasons why bringing back Cortana might still be...
  6. End of support for Cortana

End of support for Cortana: While the decision to phase out Cortana may have disappointed some users, it's important to recognize that Microsoft is continually evolving its products to meet the changing needs of its customers. Here are some reasons why bringing back Cortana might still be...
  7. Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands: Hello, I'm having trouble with Cortana on my Windows 10 computer. When I try to use voice commands, Cortana doesn't respond at all. I've checked my microphone settings and made sure that Cortana is enabled, but it still doesn't work. Is there a fix for this issue, or any...
  8. Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands

Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands: Hello, I'm having trouble with Cortana on my Windows 10 computer. When I try to use voice commands, Cortana doesn't respond at all. I've checked my microphone settings and made sure that Cortana is enabled, but it still doesn't work. Is there a fix for this issue, or any...
  9. How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...

How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...: hello, I am trying to have Google Chrome as my default browser for everything, I currently see that Edge Deflector and Nomoreedge no longer works, is there a settings way to ensure that my search bar will go to Google Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge? how can I ensure that I...
  10. How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...: hello, I am trying to have Google Chrome as my default browser for everything, I currently see that Edge Deflector and Nomoreedge no longer works, is there a settings way to ensure that my search bar will go to Google Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge? how can I ensure that I...