Windows 10: Create Check for updates in Windows Update shortcut in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Check for updates in Windows Update shortcut in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create Check for updates in Windows Update shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Check for updates in Windows Update shortcut in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Create Check for updates in Windows Update shortcut in Windows 10

How to: Create Check for updates in Windows Update shortcut in Windows 10

How to Create a Check for updates in Windows Update shortcut in Windows 10

Create Check for updates in Windows Update shortcut in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Microsoft has made it easier for Windows Update to keep Windows 10 updated by automatically downloading and installing the latest features and improvements, drivers, and hotfixes released by Microsoft—and with fewer interruptions and restarts when you're using your PC the most. The latest updates will automatically download and install when they’re available. (Unless you’re on a metered connection, then updates won’t download until you manually check for updates.)

This tutorial will show you how to create or download a Check for updates shortcut that will open directly to Windows Update and automatically check for updates in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Download a Check for updates Shortcut
    • Option Two: To Manually Create a Check for updates Shortcut

EXAMPLE: Checking for updates in Windows Update

OPTION ONE [/i] To Download a Check for updates Shortcut
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .zip file below.
    Check_for_updates_shortcut.zip

Download
    2. Save the .zip file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the .zip file..

4. Open the .zip file, and extract (drag and drop) the shortcut to your desktop.

5. You can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

6. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .zip file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Manually Create a Check for updates Shortcut
    1. Right click or press and hold on an empty area on your desktop, and click/tap on New and Shortcut.

2. Copy and paste the path below into the location area, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow %windir%\explorer.exe ms-settings:windowsupdate-action

3. Type Check for updates for the name, and click/tap on the Finish button. (see screenshot below)

Note You could name this shortcut anything you would like though.

4. Right click or press and hold on the new Check for updates shortcut, and click/tap on Properties.

5. Click/tap on the Shortcut tab, then click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)

6. In the line under "Look for icons in this file", copy and paste the location below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    %windir%\System32\shell32.dll

7. Select the icon highlighted in blue above, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot above)

Note You could use any icon that you would like instead though.

8. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 5)

9. You can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 28, 2017
  2. Frick Win User

Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

Keyboard shortcuts to open programs:

Create a shortcut on the desktop to whatever program you want. Right click -> Properties and fill in the field there. Sadly the shortcut needs to remain on the desktop, but you can hide it.

Fun fact: If you had keyboard shortcuts for programs pinned to your Windows 7 start menu, those shortcuts still work when you update to Windows 10.

Frick, Oct 26, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Drone Win User

Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

Humongous update. Added lots of commands (Control and System Properties) to the OP (in green and blue).
    Double/triple checked them all in Anniversary and Creators Update, everything works.

Drone, Oct 26, 2019
  5. MrGenius Win User
    Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Oct 26, 2019
  6. bigscale Win User
    windows automatic updates

i have some questions about the windows automatic updates in windows xp pro w sp/2. ive got about forty updates they recommend , mostly for security but i only installed two today. after installing them i found them in my add/remove programs in the control panel, if i add all these updates that is a lot of space on my hd almost 1 gig. i thought that updates just updated files and not created new programs. should i innore all these update suggestions from microsoft?

bigscale, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Create Check for updates in Windows Update shortcut in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Check updates

2. Windows 10 update KB5017308 breaks shortcuts created by GPO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 update KB5017308 breaks shortcuts created by GPO: As it says in subject. I have a folder created to each user on Desktop which contains around 30 shortcuts. After KB5017308 update, all shortcuts are created empty with 0 bytes and no info where shortcut "leads" to. Removing an update fixes immediately....
  3. Windows 10 update KB5017308 breaks shortcuts created by GPO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 update KB5017308 breaks shortcuts created by GPO: As it says in subject. I have a folder created to each user on Desktop which contains around 30 shortcuts. After KB5017308 update, all shortcuts are created empty with 0 bytes and no info where shortcut "leads" to. Removing an update fixes immediately....
  4. Windows 10 update KB5017308 breaks shortcuts created by GPO

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. CREATING SHORTCUTS IN WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    CREATING SHORTCUTS IN WINDOWS 10: WITH WINDOWS 8 AND PRIOR VERSIONS I HAVE ALWAYS ENJOYED CREATING A DESKTOP SHORT CUT FOR EASY ACCESS. I AM SEEKING ADVICE ON HOW TO CREATE THESE IN WINDOWS 10. I AM ABLE TO DO THIS WITH SOME WEBSITES BUT NOT ALL. QUITE OFTEN I END UP WITH THE CHOICE OF SAVING AS A...
  6. create shortcuts in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    create shortcuts in windows 10: I have a new harddrive and before could create shortcuts to save icons on desktop but this new hard drive will not let me do it and had windows 10 before. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-shortcuts-in-windows-10/9fc8aeae-3ece-406b-adcf-5ecbd3991e61"
  7. Create Disk Cleanup All Items Checked Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Disk Cleanup All Items Checked Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Disk Cleanup All Items Checked Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create Disk Cleanup All Items Checked Shortcut in Windows 10 You can use Disk Cleanup on a regular basis to reduce the number of unnecessary files on your drives, which can free up drive space...
  8. Create shortcut to windows update on desktop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Create shortcut to windows update on desktop: Can't seem to find a way to do this. Anybody know? 5373
  9. Create Windows Update Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Windows Update Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Windows Update Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Windows Update Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows Update helps keep your PC safer and your software current by automatically downloading and installing important and critical updates...
  10. Create Check for Updates in Store Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Check for Updates in Store Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Check for Updates in Store Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Check for updates in Store Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information The Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 offers various apps, games, music, movies & TV, and books that users can browse...