Windows 10: Create Display Switch shortcut in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Display Switch shortcut in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create Display Switch shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Display Switch shortcut in Windows 10 Display Switch (aka: "Project" or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by DawgPoP, Feb 22, 2016.

1. DawgPoP Win User

Create Display Switch shortcut in Windows 10

How to: Create Display Switch shortcut in Windows 10

How to Create a Display Switch shortcut in Windows 10

Display Switch (aka: "Project" or "Second Screen") is used to change the presentation mode of the main display of your Windows 10 device or PC to display on either the PC screen only, duplicate on second display, extend across all displays, or second screen only.

This tutorial will show how to create or download a Display Switch shortcut in Windows 10.

[table][tr][td]Projection Mode[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]PC screen only[/td] [td]Only the current main display is enabled. All other connected displays will be disabled. (When you'remain display will be mirrored on the second display.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Extend (default)[/td] [td]The main display is extended across the all connected display screens and allows you to have a desktop that spans them.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Second screen only[/td] [td]The current main display will be disabled. All other connected displays will remain enabled with the second screen used as your new main display.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

*tip By default, you can press the Windows + P keys to open the Display Switch flyout.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Download a "Display Switch" Shortcut
    • Option Two: To Manually Create a "Display Switch" Shortcut

EXAMPLE: Display Switch flyout in Windows 10

Create Display Switch shortcut in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE
    To Download a "Display Switch" Shortcut
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .zip file below.
    Display_Switch_shortuct.zip

Download
    2. Save the .zip file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the .zip file..

4. Open the .zip file, and extract (drag and drop) the shortcut to your desktop.

5. If you like, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

6. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .zip file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Manually Create a "Display Switch" Shortcut
    1. Right click or press and hold on an empty area on your desktop, and click/tap on New and Shortcut.

2. Copy and paste the location you want to use below into the location area, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow (Project flyout) %windir%\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe

*Arrow (PC screen only) %windir%\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /internal

*Arrow (Duplicate) %windir%\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /clone

*Arrow (Extend) %windir%\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /extend

*Arrow (Second screen only) %windir%\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /external

3. Type Display Switch for the name, and click/tap on the Finish button. (see screenshot below)

*note You could name this shortcut anything you would like though.

4. If you like, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

DawgPoP, Feb 22, 2016

2. windows 10 shortcuts in shared folder

I have not. The other computer, windows 7, is the bos' laptop and when he is in he's working on it, so I do not have any opportunity to do so. When I do have a window of time to try to fix this issue on his computer is when he has tried to access the files
    and can not. Very limited time. I will try to check that out next time I have access.

"A" is a desktop running windows 10

"B" is a laptop running windows 7

I still do not understand why the shortcuts will work with the "A" machine and not with the "B" machine. However, when created with the "B" machine they do work????????

Again, remember the shared folder is on the "A" machine and the files that the shortcuts reference are on the "A" machine.

"B" machine has access!!!!

You can scroll down to the network in windows file explorer and open the network, select the "A" machine and the folders are listed. You can select a folder and the files are listed. You can select a file and open it. so why won't the shortcut in the shared
    folder open the file????

The shared folder is on "A".

"B" makes a shortcut to the shared folder and places it on the "B" desktop.

When clicking on the "B" desktop shortcut to the shared folder on "A" the "A" shared folder opens on "B".

Click on any of the shortcuts in the shared folder that was created with "A" and nothing happens.

Using "B" find the file wanted on "A" and create a shortcut placing it in the shared folder on "A" then click it and

the file opens.

why would "B" be able to create and open a shortcut to file on A but not be able to open a shortcut created by A to the same file???

without shared access "B" could not create a shortcut on A to a file on A. So the share is working in that respect. The problem is with windows 10 created shortcuts on the windows 10 machine. the file is placed in the shared folder instead of making a shortcut
    to it then the widows 7 can open it. I have displayed the properties of the shortcut with both windows 7 and windows 10 and target is blank when displayed on the windows 7 but not when displayed on the windows 10????? Same shortcut examined with both machines.

Boyd Anderson, Feb 22, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Version 1607: detect display (to correct screen resolution)

I finally found a single click workaround on
    TenForums
    , using one of the DisplaySwitches:

• (PC screen only) %windir%\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /internal
    • (Duplicate) %windir%\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /clone
    • (Extend) %windir%\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /extend
    • (Second screen only) %windir%\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /external
    The DisplaySwitch also re-detects the display, so that's exactly what I want.

StijnBousard, Feb 22, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello DawgPop,

You could assign the CTRL+ALT+S keys to a shortcut in this tutorial if you like. *Smile

Brink, Feb 22, 2016
  5. DawgPoP Win User
    I get that part, what I don't understand is how to swap primary and secondary monitors. I only see modes internal, clone, extend, and external. What I want is to always be in extended mode, but just to swap my displays with one quick key. I don't want to only use one display, I always want to use two displays.

DawgPoP, Feb 22, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 22, 2016
  7. DawgPoP Win User
    You can use quickkeys, but those guys know which features are important, to do what I want it is a pro only feature.
    it would be a load next profile...

DawgPoP, Feb 23, 2016
  8. kimkl Win User

Old thread but, as DawgPoP i also am looking for a way to switch main from PC monitor to my LCD TV, without going into display settings, i use my 40 inch for watching movies, and my PC Monitor for gaming, now i have connected a hdmi switch to my PC Monitor and press another input, that makes the PC Monitor "off line" in windows 10 and my 40 inch becomes main, i tried using a fancy powered hdmi switch with rc but no go windows did not fall for that even when i switched output, so i found a old button hdmi switch from before most of you where born, and i just click "correction" i use what ever is in reach so i do not have to get up from my couch and just aim at the switch, *Biggrin lazy i know, i can't recommend throwing baseballs, footballs, or anything that bounces, *Biggrin just kidding get an extension cord i have a 10m ext hdmi cable so i can have the switch at my couch hehe.

But i would prefer a keyboard shortcut to make 1 Main 2 Secondary and vice versa, it must be possible to run a command that switches from A to B or B to A its so annoying having to right click desktop select display settings click screen 2 select make main. *Biggrin

kimkl, Mar 2, 2017
  9. kimkl Win User
    Well i found another solution, i just had to enable snap, had it turned off so i could not understand why the window moving win+shift left/right did not work *Biggrin but after i enabled snap all is well, still would like to know the cmd for switching main, but for some reason i can't find any inf. ohh well for now ill have to do with the window moving , had hoped sysinternals desktop would have done the job but nope

kimkl, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Create Display Switch shortcut in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Display Switch

2. Creating a Shortcut for Display Settings

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Creating a Shortcut for Display Settings: I am looking for a way to create a Keyboard Shortcut that switches my display setup for Windows 10 So essentially I am looking for a command/macro/shortcut/bat file that when it's run Screen A becomes the Primary Screen and Screen B becomes the Secondary screen, and an...
  3. How to create a shortcut in Windows that displays the clipboard

in Windows 10 Support
    How to create a shortcut in Windows that displays the clipboard: Helló! How to create a shortcut in Windows that displays the clipboard? I'm looking for the equivalent of a shortcut for the "Win+V" command key. 147134
  4. CREATING SHORTCUTS IN WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    CREATING SHORTCUTS IN WINDOWS 10: WITH WINDOWS 8 AND PRIOR VERSIONS I HAVE ALWAYS ENJOYED CREATING A DESKTOP SHORT CUT FOR EASY ACCESS. I AM SEEKING ADVICE ON HOW TO CREATE THESE IN WINDOWS 10. I AM ABLE TO DO THIS WITH SOME WEBSITES BUT NOT ALL. QUITE OFTEN I END UP WITH THE CHOICE OF SAVING AS A...
  5. create shortcuts in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    create shortcuts in windows 10: I have a new harddrive and before could create shortcuts to save icons on desktop but this new hard drive will not let me do it and had windows 10 before. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-shortcuts-in-windows-10/9fc8aeae-3ece-406b-adcf-5ecbd3991e61"
  6. How to change or create new shortcut to switch desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change or create new shortcut to switch desktop?: By default the shortcut is Win+Ctrl+Arrow_Key. Is there a way to assign Win+V to switch left and Win+B to switch right? It would be very easy and fast to switch between , because in case of default shortcut you have to move your left hand over whole keyboard or use...
  7. Triple Monitor Display Switch Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Triple Monitor Display Switch Shortcuts: This is my first post so I'm hopeful I can explain my situation well. If it can't be solved, that's life. My setup is as follows on a GeForce 960 video card: 2 24" monitors connected via DVI identified as monitors "2" and "3" 1 television connected via HDMI identified...
  8. Create Display Color Calibration shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Display Color Calibration shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Display Color Calibration shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Display Color Calibration shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows comes with the Display Color Calibration wizard tool. You can improve the color on your display by using...
  9. Create Search Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Search Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Search Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Search Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 offers you many ways to search for files. One way is in File Explorer. This tutorial will show you how to create or download a Search shortcut...
  10. Create Switch User shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Switch User shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Switch User shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Switch User Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information If you have more than one user account on your PC, Fast User Switching is an easy way for you to switch between accounts or for another user to sign...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. switch display external to pc monitor and vice versa shortcut