Windows 10: Creating a library question...

Discus and support Creating a library question... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Folks, I'm enjoying customizing my Windows 10 install. However, I have a question... My 500GB SSD C drive is getting full. According to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iamc3k, Jan 3, 2016.

1. iamc3k Win User

Creating a library question...

Folks,

I'm enjoying customizing my Windows 10 install. However, I have a question...

My 500GB SSD C drive is getting full. According to WinDirStat, the biggest folder is "Downloads", at over 100GB. Now, I like having "Downloads" easily accessible and where it is: There's a Quick Access link, it's on the start menu, it's under "This PC", and there on Frequent Folders, too.

What I want to do is move my downloads onto my 5Tb drive and be able to access them via "Downloads". My understanding is that I can do that, very easily, by creating a library and linking a download folder to it. That "Download Library" could be on my "C" drive, but the linked files/folders could be on the 5Tb drive.

How do I create a "Downloads Library" on my C drive which would incorporate the "Downloads" folder already there? Would I be able to add another folder to that library from my 5Tb spinner?

Thanks,
    Ken

:)

iamc3k, Jan 3, 2016
  2. Sam___ Win User

My previous question regarding creating a folder in the system was confusing, I am rephrasing it

Hi Kantilal,

Basically, you cannot add a simple folder under the Windows Libraries, but you can add a library in which one can add a folder from the C: drive.

You are correct. The Windows library is not a folder rather it's a location or a single view of multiple folders. The purpose is to help users in organising their personal data.

The procedure you have listed is spot on.

Sam___, Jan 3, 2016
  3. DadasrKR Win User
    My previous question regarding creating a folder in the system was confusing, I am rephrasing it

Currently in Windows 10 as well as previous versions, there are six folders: Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures and Videos.

I want to add the seventh folder for whatever reason. So the real question is how to add a folder to it which I can rename it whatever name I choose..

DadasrKR, Jan 3, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 3, 2016
  5. iamc3k Win User
    Here's an image of the libraries I have, and why I'm confused.
    On the Navigation pane, there are 4 libraries. But, when I select the "Libraries" folder, I get 6 libraries. The extra ones are Saved Pictures and Camera Roll. Kind of odd.

How can I use the ThisPC/Users?KenII (My user name)/Downloads folder which comes with Win10 as a library?

Pix...

Creating a library question... [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Ken

iamc3k, Jan 3, 2016
  6. iamc3k Win User
    HOW do you do THAT???

Look at the post times of my two messages. You must be a common user name of some building filled with MS programmers. *Wink

Thanks, the link seems to be the way I want to go. I'll give it a shot and update the thread.

Regards,
    Ken

iamc3k, Jan 3, 2016
  7. AndreyT Win User
    I'm not sure how Libraries are even relevant here, considering that the original issue seems to be simply about relocating the Downloads folder.

There's no need to involve Libraries in order to move the Downloads folder. Just right-click the Downloads folder to open its properties and specify the new location in the Location tab.

AndreyT, Jan 3, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome Ken. Please let us know how it went. *Smile

Brink, Jan 3, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yeah, you could move the Downloads folder to the 5TB drive, but I always found that moving personal folders can be problematic. Especially, if you do a reset, refresh, etc... that breaks the link.

Having a Downloads library would be a good way to included the Downloads folder and a folder on the 5TB drive in the same location, and make the folder on the 5TB the default save location.

Brink, Jan 3, 2016
  10. iamc3k Win User
    Okay...this is not quite working the way I'd want it to...

See the screenie:

Creating a library question... [​IMG]

1. I'd like to click on my start button and have the Downloads quick link be linked to my downloads library, not the default downloads folder.

2. I'd like all new downloads to automatically go into the folder I created on my D drive and linked to my downloads library, "Ken II Downloads".

3. I'd like the top orange box in the above image to be the library, not the default downloads folder. (This PC/Downloads is the C drive folder.)

My goal is to have ALL my downloads automatically go to my D drive and thereby keep from cluttering up my C drive.

Thanks,
    Ken

iamc3k, Jan 11, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Ken, *Smile

1) You can use the tutorial below to change the target location of the "Downloads" folder on your Start list to be that of the Downloads library instead.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

2) Set the folder on D that you have included in your Downloads library as the default save location.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

3) Unpin the current Downloads folder from Quick access, and pin the Downloads library instead to Quick access.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Creating a library question... - Similar Threads - Creating library question

2. 3D library models license question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3D library models license question: Hello,I just saw some characters, in the 3D library that I really like, my question is, if I want to make a 3D game, can I use them in it? If yes, can I use them as is, or I would have to change them, if I have to change them, what constitutes a change, a recolor? adding...
  3. Library volume Licensing Question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Library volume Licensing Question: Hello, I have a customer that is a public library that wants to license 50 computers of windows 10, and add more next year. I thought they might be able to do an EA agreement, but appears they have to have a minimum of 250 devices or users. What is the best way to do...
  4. Windows 10 Photos and Media Player library question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Photos and Media Player library question: I use Windows Media Player for music only. I have a large pictures library that I use with the Photos app but don't want them monitored by the media player. When I go into Media player > Organize > Manage Libraries > Pictures and delete the folders, they also get deleted...
  5. Question about creating a computer.

Question about creating a computer.: I was planning on creating a simple computer that could run Windows 10. I am planning out all of my parts right now and got confused about how it could run Windows 10. I don't have a lot of experience yet, so I appreciate any support. Is there a Windows 10 OS inside one...
  6. Questionable Files in Download Libraries

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Questionable Files in Download Libraries: Greetings, Im running Windows 10 and after deleting Microsoft Flight-X and scenery add-on files, I was looking for any remaining that might have been hidden. In 'Libraries/Documents/Downloads' folder I found another Folder labeled 'Download App'. Inside this folder are...
  7. Creating back up for Zotero library

Creating back up for Zotero library: I want to create a back up for Zotero library, but I cannot move one level up in the file directory so that I can access the Zotero library on WIN 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-back-up-for-zotero-library/8bdd17cc-d81e-4b55-8a05-a8c565bad3bf"
  8. Library folder create new library not working (not available)

in Windows 10 Support
    Library folder create new library not working (not available): See this: Create New Library in Windows 10 Pictures will help understand my problem. Create new library 3 methods. Only Method 3 works for me. 1) Explorer Library Folder: right-click -> New -> (Empty) --- Library is missing, actual text displayed is (Empty) 2) ... on...
  9. Junctions, Libraries for multiple drives, and search questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Junctions, Libraries for multiple drives, and search questions: My system has a secondary drive (E:, with the main Public folders on it, and I use Libraries to access it. Under Libraries\Documents, there are 2 folders: My Documents points to C:\Users\bbon\Documents, and Documents points to E:\Users\Public\Document. In the process of...
  10. Create New Library in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create New Library in Windows 10: How to: Create New Library in Windows 10 How to Create a New Library in Windows 10 [img] Information Libraries gather folders that are stored in different locations so you can browse them in one place. You can add or remove folders and drives to be included in a...