Windows 10: Customize Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt Details in Windows

Discus and support Customize Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt Details in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Customize Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt Details in Windows How to Customize Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt Details in Windows When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Customize Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt Details in Windows

How to: Customize Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt Details in Windows

How to Customize Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt Details in Windows

When you delete a single file or folder, the delete confirmation dialog displays basic details (metadata) like the file or folder name, date created, file type, and date modified by default, but will vary with each file type.

A prop: value indicates a individual property or metadata within the Windows Property System that can be set on files/folders. You can customize the prop: value for the delete confirmation dialog to show any file and folder details you like in the prompt. The details you set to show in the prompt will only show if the property or metadata is available for the deleted file or folder.

This tutorial will show you how to customize the delete confirmation dialog to show any file and folder details you want in the prompt for all users in Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to customize what file/folder details show in the delete confirmation dialog.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Customize Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt Details using a REG file
    • Option Two: To Customize Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt Details in Registry Editor

EXAMPLE: File or Folder default and full details in Delete confirmation dialog

Customize Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt Details in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Customize Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt Details using a REG file

*note This option does the same thing as Option Two below, but automatically sets the prompt to show full details using the prop: values and order below:

System.PropGroup.FileSystem
    System.ItemNameDisplay
    System.ItemTypeText
    System.ItemFolderPathDisplay
    System.Size
    System.DateCreated
    System.DateModified
    System.FileAttributes
    System.OfflineAvailability
    System.OfflineStatus
    System.SharedWith
    System.FileOwner
    System.ComputerName

1. Do step 2 (full) or step 3 (default) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Show Full Details in Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Show_Full_Details_to_Delete_Confirmation_Prompt.reg

Download

3. To Show Default Details in Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Show_Default_Details_from_Delete_Confirmation_Prompt.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Customize Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt Details in Registry Editor

*note If you need any help with this option, then please feel free to post what you need help with in this tutorial thread. I'll be happy to help.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. In Registry Editor, browse to the key location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects

4. Do step 5 (default) or step 6 (custom) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Show Default Details in Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt
    A) In the right pane of the AllFilesystemObjects key, right click or press and hold on the FileOperationPrompt string value, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot below step 3)

B) Click/tap on Yes to confirm, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Show Custom Details in Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt
    A) In the right pane of the AllFilesystemObjects key, double click/tap on the FileOperationPrompt string value to modify it. (see screenshot below step 3)

*note If you don't have the FileOperationPrompt string value (you don't by default), then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the AllFilesystemObjects key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type FileOperationPrompt, and press Enter.

B) Type the data value below for the property values you want with each separated by a semicolon ; in the order you want them to show, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow prop:value 1;value 2; etc....

*note Substitute value # in the value above with the actual properties you want.

The link below at Microsoft will give you a full list of Windows properties that you can use. Click on a property type (ex: System) link at the link below to see a full list of individual properties (ex: System.ItemNameDisplay) for that type to use.

*Arrow Windows Properties (Windows)

For example: The Show_Full_Details_to_Delete_Confirmation_Prompt.reg file from Option One above uses the data value below.

prop:System.PropGroup.FileSystem;System.ItemNameDisplay;System.ItemTypeText;System.ItemFolderPathDisplay;System.Size;System.DateCreated;System.DateModified;System.FileAttributes;System.OfflineAvailability;System.OfflineStatus;System.SharedWith;System.FileOwner;System.ComputerName
    7. When finished, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 7, 2017
  2. Eliptical Win User

Delete confirmation dialog issues

Recycle Bin's "Display delete confirmation dialog" option is unchecked, yet I still get a confirmation dialog when I try to delete one or more photos.

Eliptical, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Windows 10 - How to Enable Windows Explorer File Deletion Confirmation

Hi,

By default, Windows 10 doesn't show a delete confirmation dialog box. However, you can still get the same confirmation box using
    Shift + Delete hotkey. If you wish to enable the delete confirmation box, follow these steps:

• On your Windows 10 desktop, right-click on Recycle Bin, and then select
      Properties.
    • Under General tab, check the option named Display delete confirmation dialog.
    • Click on the Apply button before closing the dialog box.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Aileen Alf, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Customize Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt Details in Windows

Can I set file delete to require a confirmation action

Hi Brian,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

Please be assured that we will do our best to help you.

I suggest you to place a checkmark in the Display delete confirmation dialog from the Recycle Bin properties and see if it helps.

Follow the bellow steps:

• Right-click the Recycle Bin icon on your desktop,

• Choose Properties.

• Place a checkmark in the Display delete confirmation dialog.
    Hope it helps.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance, we are happy to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Doug Sek Win User
    How do I restore the Windows 10 Sticky Note Delete Confirmation Dialog Box

I turned off the Windows 10 Sticky Note delete confirmations (by checking the "Don't show this message again" check-box as I deleted a Sticky Note. How do I re-enable the delete confirmation dialog? All I have found so fer is the following fix, however,
    I do not have the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\StickyNotes" registry entry.

To re-enable the prompt yourself, follow these steps:

• Click
      Customize Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt Details in Windows vistastartbutton.jpg
      , type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    • Locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\StickyNotes
    • Double-click the PROMPT_ON_DELETE registry entry.
    • In the Value data box, type 00000001, and then click OK.
    • On the File menu, click Exit.

Doug Sek, Oct 26, 2019
  6. TRON1982x Win User
    Windows 10 - How to Enable Windows Explorer File Deletion Confirmation

Hi, ok well I figured it out but I don't know why it does this. When you delete something from OneDrive using Windows Explorer you do NOT get the delete confirmation box, but if you delete a file on your local C: you do. I wonder if there's a way to turn
    that option on for OneDrive?

TRON1982x, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Customize Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt Details in Windows

1. Customize Delete Confirmation Dialog Prompt Details in Windows - Similar Threads - Customize Delete Confirmation

2. Dialog Button Customization

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dialog Button Customization: Hereby sincerely to enquire, I wish to customize the color of the dialog button, any advise for it? prefer regedit. The default color of the dialog button is blue Border and while I point on it, I wish to change it to another....
  3. How to Disable Delete confirmation dialog for Photos app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Disable Delete confirmation dialog for Photos app in Windows 10: [ATTACH]When you’re deleting a file via the Photos app on Windows 10, you may […] This article How to Disable Delete confirmation dialog for Photos app in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  4. How to disable or enable Delete confirmation dialog box for Photos app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable or enable Delete confirmation dialog box for Photos app in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you want to enable the Delete confirmation dialog for the Photos app in […] This article How to disable or enable Delete confirmation dialog box for Photos app in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Display delete confirmation dialog

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Display delete confirmation dialog: I have followed the instructions and the box is checked, apply clicked but I still do not get the option to confirm before pictures, etc. are deleted in Windows 10. It has been checked for a long time but now it doesn't work. Is there a fix for this? Thank you, Suzanne :...
  6. How to show the full details in Delete File confirmation dialog box in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to show the full details in Delete File confirmation dialog box in Windows 10: [ATTACH]While deleting a file, Windows 10 shows various details such as file name, file type, file location, etc., when it asks you Are you sure […] This article How to show the full details in Delete File confirmation dialog box in Windows 10 first appeared on...
  7. Recycle bin delete confirmation dialog box won't shut off

Recycle bin delete confirmation dialog box won't shut off: I have opened the recycle bin properties and "Display delete confirmation dialog" is unchecked. but it still appears. Any idea how to shut this off?...
  8. Dialog box customization

Dialog box customization: What file has all the dialog boxes ? Such as file explorer? The icons in the ribbon?John*cry 140382
  9. Recycle confirmation or Display delete confirmation dialog

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recycle confirmation or Display delete confirmation dialog: The function is enabled but if I delete a file in file explorer, I don't get asked to confirm. It deletes straight away. Can anyone help please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-confirmation-or-display-delete/a577009e-cb85-44d2-930c-880c46866f28"
  10. How to customize the buttons in the Recycle Bin 'Delete files' dialog?

How to customize the buttons in the Recycle Bin 'Delete files' dialog?: Hi, I'm new here, so please forgive me, if I'm asking something dumb, but I have the following question: In the popup message about really wanting to delete all the items when emptying the Recycle Bin I'd like to change the text of the two buttons from 'Yes' and 'No' to...