Windows 10: Customize Shortcut Infotip Details in Windows

Discus and support Customize Shortcut Infotip Details in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Customize Shortcut Infotip Details in Windows How to Customize Details of Shortcut Infotips in Windows [img] Information When you hover... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Customize Shortcut Infotip Details in Windows

How to: Customize Shortcut Infotip Details in Windows

How to Customize Details of Shortcut Infotips in Windows

Customize Shortcut Infotip Details in Windows [​IMG]
    Information When you hover over a shortcut of a file, folder, or drive in Windows, a pop-up description) will show displaying basic property details (metadata) such as a shortcut's target location.

A prop: value indicates a individual property or metadata within the Windows Property System that can be set for shortcut infotips. You can customize the prop: value for shortcut infoips to show any property details you like in the infotip. The details you set to show in the infotip will only show if the property or metadata is available for the shortcut.

This tutorial will show you how to customize shortcut infotips to show any file and folder property details you want in the infoltip for all users in Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to customize what file/folder property details show in shortcut infotips.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Customize Shortcut Infotip Details using a REG file
    • Option Two: To Customize Shortcut Infotip Details in Registry Editor

EXAMPLE: Custom and Default Shortcut Infotip Details

OPTION ONE [/i] To Customize Shortcut Infotip Details using a REG file

Note This option does the same thing as Option Two below, but automatically sets shortcut infotips to show details using the prop values in the order below:

System.Comment
    System.DateCreated
    System.Link.TargetParsingPath
    System.Image.Dimensions
    System.Size
    System.Media.Duration

1. Do step 2 (custom) or step 3 (default) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Show Custom Details in Shortcut Infotips
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Show_custom_shortcut_infotips.reg

Download

3. To Show Default Details in Shortcut Infotips
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Show_default_shortcut_infotips.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Customize Shortcut Infotip Details in Registry Editor

Note If you need any help with this option, then please feel free to post what you need help with in this tutorial thread. I'll be happy to help.

1. Do step 2 (default) or step 3 (custom) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Show Default Details in Shortcut Infotips
    A) Use the Show_default_shortcut_tooltips.reg in step 3 of OPTION ONE above.

3. To Customize Details in Shortcut Infotips
    A) Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

B) If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

C) In Registry Editor, browse to the key location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellEx\{00021500-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

D) Right click or press and hold on the {00021500-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} key in the left pane, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot below step 3C)

E) Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

F) In Registry Editor, browse to the key location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile

G) In the right pane of the lnkfile key, double click/tap on the InfoTip string value to modify it. (see screenshot below step 3F)

Note If you don't have the InfoTip string value (you don't by default), then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the lnkfile key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type InfoTip, and press Enter.

H) Type the data value below for the property values you want with each separated by a semicolon ; in the order you want them to show, click/tap on OK, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow prop:value 1;value 2; etc....

Note Substitute value # in the value above with the actual property details you want.

The link below at Microsoft will give you a full list of Windows properties that you can use. Click on a property type (ex: System) link at the link below to see a full list of individual properties (ex: System.ItemNameDisplay) for that type to use.

*Arrow Windows Properties (Windows)

For example: The Show_custom_shortcut_infotips.reg file from Option One above uses the data value below.

prop:System.Comment;System.DateCreated;System.Link.TargetParsingPath;System.Image.Dimensions;System.Size;System.Media.Duration

4. restart the computer to apply.

5. When finished, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 16, 2017

2. Customize Preview Details in Details Pane of File Explorer in Windows

I could use some help adding the description field for .jpg images to the details preview. I have followed your instructions step by step several times, but it doesn't work.
    Does it matter that whether the file extension is .jpg .JPG or .jpeg ?

Any help is appreciated!
    I'm trying to display and edit the IPTC and/or EXIF description data field of an image, in order to benefit from its SEO value online.
    Here is how it looks on my PC:

HagenPflueger, Oct 26, 2019
  3. cniggeler Win User
    List custom keyboard shortcuts

Hi,

I would like to create a shortcut to Windows Update using CTRL-ALT-U, but when I try to put that in the shortcut key area of the shortcut, it blanks out again. This means I have used that key combo elsewhere, but typing it doesn't do anything. I upgraded
    from Win7 to Win10 and I think I set it for Windows 7 Update.

My questions are,

1. How do I reassign this shortcut?
    2. How do I get a list of custom shortcuts that are already set?

Thanks!

cniggeler, Oct 26, 2019
  4. terrace Win User

Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.Customize Shortcut Infotip Details in Windows :)

terrace, Oct 26, 2019
  5. YannB_74 Win User
    InfoTip for a file in a network drive

Can anybody explain me why after customization of the InfoTip of a file in the Registry (i.e. jpg image) I have a correct result as far as the file is local in my PC (including OneDrive) but is not applied for a file in my network drive. It is just as if
    it shows the default configuration of the InfoTip.

Sorry but it is not possible to make a screen capture.

For example in my PC I configured the InfoTip to show:

-Type of file

-Date taken for the Photo

-Dimensions of the Photo

-Size of the file

But in my network drive I only have what follows, despite my efforts to modify it:

-Type of File

-Size of file

-Date when modified

Thanks,

YB

YannB_74, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Clipped Infotips Selecting with Keyboard

Hi,

The problem: If you have a folder with files near the bottom edge of the window and select them with the keyboard, Windows 10 will always display clipped infotips under the taskbar.

The question: Is there any registry hack that can position infotips above or to the side of selected object with the keyboard when on the last line?

The curiosity: This behavior does not occur when focusing with the mouse, only with the keyboard.

Thanks

Joliveira10, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Customize Shortcut Infotip Details in Windows - Similar Threads - Customize Shortcut Infotip

2. Custom Shortcuts not working in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom Shortcuts not working in Windows 10: I've worked in Windows 7 until just recently and heavily relied on Windows shortcuts Ctrl-Alt-1 to Ctrl-Alt-6 to quickly switch between my Putty session windows, I simply had the 6 shortcuts on my desktop and added the shortcut within properties. I cannot however get this...
  3. Customize music folder details pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Customize music folder details pane: Hello, I've tried to search for ways to customize the info displayed in the Details Pane.This forum and this list they link to seems to do the trick, but the problem is: I don't want to remove anything Windows displays by default, I only want to add one more bit of info...
  4. Changing Shortcut Details

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Shortcut Details: I am unable to run Quicken 2004 on my recently purchased Lenovo laptop. It worked perfectly well on my previous laptop both are Windows 10 OS. Whilst comparing the Details Folder Path of the 2 shortcuts I noticed the Shortcut Details Folder Path on the new laptop needed to be...
  5. Customize Keyboard shortcuts

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Customize Keyboard shortcuts: I want to create keyboard shortcuts using modifiers or combinations thereof to insert characters like # and é without using the Character Map. Is there a way to do this? I have looked through Settings but came up blank....
  6. preview details custom data not working for internet shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    preview details custom data not working for internet shortcuts: For internet shortcuts, I'd like to see the created date in the preview details. For that I edit this key : Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\PreviewDetails Because "Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.URL" have the default "InternetShortcut". So in "PreviewDetails", I...
  7. File infotips on removable drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File infotips on removable drives: I noticed that extended information in file infotips are not displayed on network drives in explorer. I guess that makes sense from a performance standpoint. Out of curiosity, why is extended tip information not displayed for files stored on removable media? Infotip on a...
  8. InfoTip for a file in a network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    InfoTip for a file in a network drive: Can anybody explain me why after customization of the InfoTip of a file in the Registry (i.e. jpg image) I have a correct result as far as the file is local in my PC (including OneDrive) but is not applied for a file in my network drive. It is just as if it shows the default...
  9. Customizing Details Pane for folders.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customizing Details Pane for folders.: In order to customize which fields are displayed in the details pane for a given file type you can: 1. Run Regedit. 2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SystemFileAsso ciations\.mp3 (Or whatever file type you want to edit.) 3. Edit the PreviewDetails string. My...
  10. Customize Preview Details in Details Pane of File Explorer in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Customize Preview Details in Details Pane of File Explorer in Windows: How to: Customize Preview Details in Details Pane of File Explorer in Windows How to Customize Preview Details in Details Pane of File Explorer in Windows The details pane shows you see the most common properties associated with the selected file. File properties...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. customize windows explorer infotip jpg