Windows 10: Defender in Passive Mode?

Discus and support Defender in Passive Mode? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I installed Avast (free version) on my new pc because I have had good success with Avast on my Mac for years. I have repeatedly read that if... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by battlezone, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Defender in Passive Mode?

I installed Avast (free version) on my new pc because I have had good success with Avast on my Mac for years.

I have repeatedly read that if third-party AV software is installed, Defender will automatically be disabled. This does not appear to be the case because in the System Tray I have the Defender Icon showing with a green checkmark. If I click the Defender icon the Defender Security Center opens and I get green checkmarks across the board.

I googled and found information about Defender's "Passive Mode," but I don't know if that's what's going on:

Windows Defender Antivirus compatibility with other security products | Microsoft Docs

I also found information about Defender not turning off even when third-party AV software is installed.:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...l-not-turn-off

I would like to know if Defender is in Passive Mode, which I suppose is okay, or if it is running, and if so, what to do about it.

:)

battlezone, Feb 16, 2018

2. Windows Defender

What was the antivirus program you are using?

"However, on endpoints and devices that are protected with a non-Microsoft antivirus or anti-malware app, Windows Defender AV will automatically disable itself. You can then choose to enable an optional, limited protection
    feature, called limited periodic scanning.

If you are also using Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection, then Windows Defender AV will enter a passive mode."

See this "Windows Defender Antivirus compatibility" matrix: Windows Defender Antivirus compatibility with other security products

GreySkyPine, Feb 16, 2018
  3. Lumia Display Dock and HDMI to VGA adapter

just to understand some constraints:

• HDMI is electrically compatible with DVI
    • DP outputs from most PCs have an HDMI compatibility mode that allows for:
      • DP-to-HDMI passive adapters [passive means it just uses wiring (no ICs) between the connectors]
      • DP-to-DVI passive adapters
    • In contrast, the USB Type-C output on the Lumia 950XL/950 phone and the DP output on the Display Dock do not have HDMI compatibility mode. To drive HDMI, DVI (or VGA), they require active adapters incorporating bridge ICs. The tipoff is usually that such
      an adapter costs $20-$40 instead of ~$10 for a passive adapter. There’s no good way to tell active versus passive other than by part # and spec.

Jesse Vaught, Feb 16, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Defender in Passive Mode?

dalchina, Feb 16, 2018
  5. That icon is not for Windows Defender, but for Defender Security Center.

When you click on Virus & threat protection, you should see, that Avast is up and running.

TairikuOkami, Feb 16, 2018
  6. I thank you both for your replies.

I know that Avast is up and running. As for the remaining Defender functions, should I leave them be or should I disable them, or is there an advantage to them running?

battlezone, Feb 16, 2018
  7. TairikuOkami, Feb 16, 2018
  8. Defender in Passive Mode?

Thank you. I have turned Periodic Scanning on. The other protection settings seem to be mostly set to "on" by default.

battlezone, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Defender in Passive Mode?

1. Defender in Passive Mode? - Similar Threads - Defender Passive Mode

2. Windows Defender on windows 10 in S mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender on windows 10 in S mode: Hi all, I’ll apologize in advance for my lack of terminology because I haven’t had a laptop in quite some time. I just bought a Lenovo ideapad S145 laptop today. It says the operating system is windows 10 home in S mode. I was wondering what the difference is between windows...
  3. Windows Defender is stuck in business mode due to virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender is stuck in business mode due to virus: Hi, my device is a Dell Inspiron 3650. I have a major problem with Windows defender. I don't know when this happened, but I believe a virus hacked Windows Defender, and now it is stuck in business mode and I can't get it out of that state without my "administrator's"...
  4. Safe Mode and Defender

Safe Mode and Defender: Just wondering if Microsoft plans to give Defender the ability to scan in safe mode. Why have they not done this yet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/safe-mode-and-defender/2e53e988-ef7a-4369-b363-0cd235858c6e
  5. Change System Cooling Policy for Processor – Passive or Active

in Windows 10 News
    Change System Cooling Policy for Processor – Passive or Active: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Be it Desktop or Laptop, it’s important to conserve power. One of the ways it can be done is using the System Cooling Policy. Since Desktops are always plugged in, it becomes even necessary to save power when you are [...] This post Change System Cooling...
  6. Windows defender offline scan does not work in safe mode

Windows defender offline scan does not work in safe mode: Recently began having reccuring freezing issues with my pc so tried to boot in safe mode to rule out any software issues and run offline windows defender scan in case of malware. clicking ‘scan now’ once offline scan is selected opens a prompt saying ‘save your work... will...
  7. Quick Question, What is that Passive Heatsink on Motherboard called

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Quick Question, What is that Passive Heatsink on Motherboard called: [img] I'm referring to the Non-CPU heat-sink to the right over there, I just got into telling an old story to a Co-worker about this little tidbit I figured out about those Loosely connected Heat-sinks there in terms of what their purpose generally serves in starting up...
  8. Defender

Defender: I recently upgraded to Windows 10. I have Eset as my antivirus software and also Malwarebytes Antimalware running. My Windows defender is forced off. My question is, " Is there any way I can turn Defender on and run with both these programs?" And Do I need to run defender...
  9. passive or active adapter

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    passive or active adapter: I just purchased an EVGA GTX 1060 and I have 2 monitors that have a DVI port and a VGA port. If I use a DVI to display port adapter or cable, does the adapter or cable need to be passive or active? 89978
  10. How to set passive mode for ftp?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set passive mode for ftp?: I had this set, but I can't find it, and I'm guessing an update reverted the setting... I'm trying to ftp to my FireTV, so I have a link in explorer to "ftp://192.168.1.4*Tongueort#" and it was working fine, but now it's telling me I need to set passive mode. I've googled...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows Defender passive mode

2. how to put microsoft defender in passive mode

3. windows defender av已经进入passive mode

4. windows defender パッシブモード,
  5. how to make windows defender passive,
  6. operating Windows defender in passive mode,
  7. sentinelone defender passive mode,
  8. windows security passive mode,
  9. using windows defender in passive mode,
  10. how to check windows defender in passive mode,
  11. what is windows defender passive mode,