Windows 10: Desktop Files Disappear

Discus and support Desktop Files Disappear in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Over the past week, my desktop has been acting up. My files keep being deleted from my desktop. I used Everything Search to see if the files are just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tbm, Jan 8, 2016.

1. TBM
    tbm Win User

Desktop Files Disappear

Over the past week, my desktop has been acting up. My files keep being deleted from my desktop. I used Everything Search to see if the files are just being moved, and they're not. They're completely wiped out. I ran a Windows Defender and it didn't come up with anything. I can't think of any software that would be causing it. Anyone have any ideas?

:)

2. Mark-NY Win User

I occasionally have a file that is visible in File Explorer but does not appear on the desktop. How can I fix this?

Thanks, but I'm afraid you've misunderstood the problem.: "The file is already in the desktop, if the file occasionally disappear in the desktop folder..."

The file does not disappear from the desktop folder, it disappears from the desktop itself while remaining in the folder.. Of course, I'm sure the file is there, but it's not visible. At this very moment no files are
    misbehaving as described, so I'll have to wait to try your suggestion until I see the problem recur. But I'm not sure what dragging the shortcut to the desktop would prove. This failure is sporadic, which is why it is so hard to nail down.

Mark-NY, Jan 8, 2016
  3. Windows 10 desktop icons keeps dissapearing

My Windows 10 desktop Icons (file folders and not shortcuts) keeps disappearing. What makes this disappearance weird is that the files of the invisible Icons are still available in the Desktop folder (using the file explorer). If I try to copy this files
    from the desktop directory back to the desktop page, its says files already exist in the source folder.

Please, I need a permanent workaround for this.

Abdulbaqi Badru, Jan 8, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Desktop Files Disappear

Brink, Jan 8, 2016
  5. TBM
    tbm Win User
    It's every file type. It's only my account's files (as in, not shortcuts from the public desktop).

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 8, 2016
  7. TBM
    tbm Win User
    This isn't my problem either. The location is fine. The files are literally being deleted off my hard drive somehow. It has nothing to do with the location as I had mentioned in my original post that I searched to see if the files were in another location and they are not. :/

8. LesW Win User

Desktop Files Disappear

I turned my computer on earlier this week and had lost about 15 - 20 files from the Desktop, which are now nowhere on the computer (luckily most were backed-up elsewhere, though some are a little out-of-date). Did this very worrying problem get resolved?

update: I have managed to retrieve most of them using Recuva, a free deleted file recovery program. It would be worth anyone who is worried about this problem installing it, or something similar, as soon as possible, and then running it as soon as the loss of files is noticed, before any of them get overwritten - don't wait until files are lost to install such a program, as the installation may overwrite some of the deleted files.

9. TBM
    tbm Win User
    Nope. To this day I still have the problem. I have run virus scans but nothing has come up.

Thema:

Desktop Files Disappear

1. Desktop Files Disappear - Similar Threads - Desktop Files Disappear

2. Desktop files and folders disappeared?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop files and folders disappeared?: today i opened my laptop that has windows 11 and all files from desktop were disappeared, and also a update happened just before that and ive tried every guide to recover but i couldnt, does anyone know how can i get my files back?...
  3. Desktop files and folders disappeared?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop files and folders disappeared?: today i opened my laptop that has windows 11 and all files from desktop were disappeared, and also a update happened just before that and ive tried every guide to recover but i couldnt, does anyone know how can i get my files back?...
  4. Specific desktop files disappeared?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Specific desktop files disappeared?: I recently tried to access some files that I have stored in a folder on my desktop. While the folder is still there, all of the files in it mostly Word documents have disappeared.While diagnosing the problem, I noticed that my desktop's file path does not show up as...
  5. Specific desktop files disappeared?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Specific desktop files disappeared?: I recently tried to access some files that I have stored in a folder on my desktop. While the folder is still there, all of the files in it mostly Word documents have disappeared.While diagnosing the problem, I noticed that my desktop's file path does not show up as...
  6. Specific desktop files disappeared?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. desktop files disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop files disappeared: just reinstalled a fresh windows 10 onto my computer. it was fine for a little while, but now my desktop files are gone. i did a lot of things that i searched up regedit modification, tablet mode check, show desktop icons. but nothing seems to be working....
  8. File disappearing from desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File disappearing from desktop: While trying to fix save files from a game I cut and pasted 3 sub folders from 2 different folders to my desktop, so 6 folders total. The first 3 moved just fine, but on the second group of three it gave me the warning that 4 files were identical and asked what to do with...
  9. Disappearing files from desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disappearing files from desktop: Hello all, any help gratefully received. Trying to sort a problem out for a relative who was browsing yesterday and noticed her desktop, which is normally decorated with lots of files and folders, suddenly showing almost nothing. There was nothing new in the recycle bin...
  10. Desktop files disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop files disappeared: I was working today and 3/4 if my desktop folders just disappeared. I have searched by name and they are just gone. I ran the hard drive check and it appears okay and they are not in the recycle bin. Please help!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why are icons dissapearing from my desktop

2. error code: 2147024894 files disappear