Windows 10: Desktop shortcuts in Folders not visible

Discus and support Desktop shortcuts in Folders not visible in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I switched on my pc yesterday running latest version of Win 10 I notice that all the shortcuts are no longer visible in the desktop folders, or,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pdoth, Feb 27, 2017.

1. pdoth Win User

Desktop shortcuts in Folders not visible

When I switched on my pc yesterday running latest version of Win 10 I notice that all the shortcuts are no longer visible in the desktop folders, or, any folders. Before I could see a representation of them sticking out from the Folder.

When I click on a folder it opens and all the shortcuts are there where they should be.

Why have the shortcuts disappeared?

:)

pdoth, Feb 27, 2017

2. Desktop shortcuts

Shortcuts can "live" in two places:

• In your own profile folder (C:\Users\Luke\Desktop). They are visible to you only.
    • In the public profile folder (C:\Users\Public\Desktop). They are visible to all users.
    You should now know why the deleted shortcut disappeared from both desktops.

Deleting a shortcut does NOT delete the file or folder it refers to. I recommend you run some tests to confirm this.

Frederik Long, Feb 27, 2017
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer - Desktop Folder only shows some shortcuts?

When I go to the Desktop folder in File Explorer I only see some of the Desktop icons and shortcuts. For instance, the Recycle Bin is not visible. Surely this should be visible by default, it's a no brainer.

Can it be made visible?

JohnSmithOG, Feb 27, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Feb 27, 2017
  5. pdoth Win User
    Thanks for this dalchina, I think you could be on to something here. Quick question though before I dive in..........
    Does this fix only apply to the arrow overlay icon missing or will it also bring back my whole missing shortcuts?

pdoth, Feb 27, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you referred to this:
    so I read your post assuming you meant the arrows.

Please clarify if you mean sthg else. Thanks.

dalchina, Feb 27, 2017
  7. pdoth Win User
    Ahh.... no, I was referring to the actual pictures (icons) of the files (shortcuts) within the folders. Before it was just like a real folder which contained a whole bunch of separate files. You could just about see the colours or some writing on them inside the folder. Now all I have is a bunch of yellow folders half open with no sign of the files inside, although they are all still there when I open the folder. All of the shortcuts do have the arrow showing in the bottom left corner. The files of course do not have arrows.

pdoth, Feb 27, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Ah, so you don't mean the shortcuts have disappeared (as you said), or the arrows indicating they are shortcuts, rather that the representation of the folder content has vanished- presumably you see just a yellow folder with text and a shortcut arrow.

Try clearing the thumbnail cache
    Thumbnail Cache - Clear and Reset in Windows 10

If that doesn't work, try the simple and obvious- do you have a restore point you can use -e.g. set yesterday?

dalchina, Feb 27, 2017
  9. pdoth Win User
    Yup, that's about right. All I've got is the yellow folders half open with the name of the folder underneath it. No arrow though.
    I'm running a SFC at the moment and if that proves no good the next on the list will be the cache clear and reset. I don't normally manually set a restore point at boot but, with any luck there maybe one I can use. The problem is I've been 'living' with this 'condition' now for last 3 days. Didn't both before as all the files in the folders were still accessible. Its only now I'm thinking - "this ain't right I need to fix it".
    Thanks for your time on this by the way, much appreciated.

pdoth, Feb 27, 2017
  10. pdoth Win User
    OK, back after running SFC and Disk Cleanup (deleting cache and all shortcuts) . Unfortunately still no sign of the missing files shortcuts in their places in the folders.

Next I'll try rollback see if that has any effect although I don't think I can rollback 3 days. Still, here goes nothing.

pdoth, Feb 27, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Feb 27, 2017
  12. pdoth Win User
    Latest update. I have run the Disc Cleanup which 'says' it has cleared both the cache and reset the thumbnails but there was no change. I wonder if its worth trying the BAT approach?

However, I have now noticed one other factor that maybe pointing to where the problem lies. I logged into another account on my PC which of course has its own profile. The desktop was as it should be with all the folders showing they contain files/shortcuts etc. So, it would appear that the problem could be account/profile related.

If so, the question now is, how do I reset my profile on the account which is playing up?

pdoth, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop shortcuts in Folders not visible - Similar Threads - Desktop shortcuts Folders

2. Icons are not visible on Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons are not visible on Desktop: Hi, I can not see the all the icons on desktop and the single icon is visible but it is showing very long strip. I have tried to do the hidden files but all the files are visible on inside file explorer folder. I have tried to copy the same file from the inside folder it...
  3. Desktop folder covers all present folders and shortcuts, but desktop folder inside user...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop folder covers all present folders and shortcuts, but desktop folder inside user...: Hi all,I recently upgraded to windows 11 and there seems to be a problem with my desktop folder, a few remarks to get started:- shortcuts are present on my desktop- I have a desktop folder which covers all the other folders + shortcuts, but the folders are not showing up on...
  4. Desktop folder covers all present folders and shortcuts, but desktop folder inside user...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop folder covers all present folders and shortcuts, but desktop folder inside user...: Hi all,I recently upgraded to windows 11 and there seems to be a problem with my desktop folder, a few remarks to get started:- shortcuts are present on my desktop- I have a desktop folder which covers all the other folders + shortcuts, but the folders are not showing up on...
  5. Creating a Desktop Shortcut For Download Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a Desktop Shortcut For Download Folder: Hi GangI'm using Windows 10 Pro and I'm familiar with how to create Desktop Shortcuts simply by using: 'Type Here To Search' and the options appear automatically to do so. However for some reason, the only option I get for a Desktop Shortcut For The Download Folder, is the...
  6. Creating a Desktop Shortcut For Download Folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Creating a Desktop Shortcut For Download Folder: Hi GangI'm using Windows 10 Pro and I'm familiar with how to create Desktop Shortcuts simply by using: 'Type Here To Search' and the options appear automatically to do so. However for some reason, the only option I get for a Desktop Shortcut For The Download Folder, is the...
  7. Creating a Desktop Shortcut For Download Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. My desktop folders and games are not visible

in Windows 10 Customization
    My desktop folders and games are not visible: please help me if you Know how to fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-desktop-folders-and-games-are-not-visible/4d84a0a1-011c-4174-967d-f626971039a7
  9. Software shortcuts icons not visible

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Software shortcuts icons not visible: Hello. I'm using Windows 10 Home x64 version 1909 on my gaming laptop. When I installed Steam and many games, all of them have icons on shortcuts. But when I installed Windows 7's Move Maker and Bandicam both don't have their icons on shortcuts. Both programs were installed...
  10. White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons

in Windows 10 Support
    White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons: [img] It happened suddenly, today. I have 4 shortcuts on my desktop which I use to quickly save files to the various folders. I selected the Icons to make them look good and distinguish between them. After an upgrade they displayed white overlays which add nothing to their...