Windows 10: Desktop/Start Menu not clickable - I have to open task manager to fix

Discus and support Desktop/Start Menu not clickable - I have to open task manager to fix in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere - please direct me if that is the case. This issue seems to have arisen out of nowhere over... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by algiz13, Jan 20, 2018.

1. algiz13 Win User

Desktop/Start Menu not clickable - I have to open task manager to fix

Hi there
    Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere - please direct me if that is the case.

This issue seems to have arisen out of nowhere over the past day or so.
    Intermittently, (and I cannot determine a common cause) the desktop is not clickable at all.
    (It's almost like there is an invisible overlay or something...?)

I can solve this issue by CTRL-ALT-DELETE into the task manager. Once I click on the full screen menu, I can click again.

Anyone seen this before?

Many thanks

:)

algiz13, Jan 20, 2018
  2. Ron215 Win User

Left/right click not working in start menu and in gaming

Changed drivers - rolled back drivers - changed the mouse with a known working mouse - used different USB port - did advanced commands to check for OS errors - checked internet for more help

Still upon initial boot same thing, mouse moves around but does not highlight (not clickable) start bar icons but will highlight desktop icons (clickable). BUT, if I do click on the desktop icon and open that item, nothing in that window will be clickable
    until I press CTRL/ALT/DEL open and close the task manager without doing anything with the task manager and everything will be clickable. BUT, I still will not be able to use the combination of Left and right mouse buttons while gaming. IE: Zooming (holding
    left mouse) and shooting (right clicking)

Ron215, Jan 20, 2018
  3. windows 10 not functioning

Nothing is working on my PC. The start menu will not open, icons on the desktop will not open, task manager is not working and the search bar is not working. Does anyone have suggestions on what could be wrong and/or how to fix this issue?

MelissaRepscher, Jan 20, 2018
  4. Desktop/Start Menu not clickable - I have to open task manager to fix

FreeBooter, Jan 20, 2018
  5. algiz13 Win User
    Yes - I have confirmed that this still occurs in safe mode.

algiz13, Jan 20, 2018
  6. If you are using third-party antivirus software uninstall it to make sure issue is not cause by third-party antivirus software.

Malwarebytes' scanner
    If this program is already installed: Skip the installation and run only the scan!
    Download and install: Please download Malwarebytes' scanner to your desktop.

• Double-click mb3-setup-consumer-3.x.x.xxxx and follow the prompts to install the program.
    • Click Finish.
    • On the Dashboard, click the 'Check for Updates' button.
    • After the update completes, click the 'Scan Now' button.
    • A Threat Scan will begin. Please allow it to progress through the scanning process.
    • When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Quarantines Selected button to allow the program to clean what was detected.
    • In most cases, a restart will be required.
    • Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.

How to get logs: (Export log to save as txt)

• After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open Malwarebytes once more.
    • Click on the Reports tab > Scan Report. (if you have done more than one scan in the past, select the most recent that shows the Date and time of the scan just performed. Press View Report button.
    • Click 'Export'.
    • Click 'Text file (*.txt)'
    • In the Save File dialog box which appears, click on Desktop.
    • In the File name: box type a name for your scan log.
    • A message box named 'File Saved' should appear stating "Your file has been successfully exported".
    • Click Ok
    • Find the log on your Desktop and Attach that saved log to your next reply.

(Copy to clipboard for pasting into forum replies or tickets)

If you like you can repair install Windows 10 without losing anything.

*Arrow How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

FreeBooter, Jan 20, 2018
  7. algiz13 Win User
    Malwarebyteswww.malwarebytes.com-Log Details-Scan Date: 1/21/18Scan Time: 5:14 PMLog File: 7e19b5b0-fece-11e7-aa1e-b06ebfc544d9.jsonAdministrator: Yes-Software Information-Version: 3.3.1.2183Components Version: 1.0.262Update Package Version: 1.0.3749License: Trial-System Information-OS: Windows 10 (Build 16299.125)CPU: x64File System: NTFSUser: NEW-2MUQ6K2V244\John-Scan Summary-Scan Type: Threat ScanResult: CompletedObjects Scanned: 271827Threats Detected: 11Threats Quarantined: 11Time Elapsed: 0 min, 39 sec-Scan Options-Memory: EnabledStartup: EnabledFilesystem: EnabledArchives: EnabledRootkits: DisabledHeuristics: EnabledPUP: DetectPUM: Detect-Scan Details-Process: 0(No malicious items detected)Module: 0(No malicious items detected)Registry Key: 0(No malicious items detected)Registry Value: 0(No malicious items detected)Registry Data: 0(No malicious items detected)Data Stream: 0(No malicious items detected)Folder: 0(No malicious items detected)File: 11PUP.Optional.Conduit, C:\USERS\JSSEL\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Sync Data\SyncData.sqlite3, Replaced, [511], [454832],1.0.3749PUP.Optional.Conduit, C:\USERS\JSSEL\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Web Data, Replaced, [511], [454832],1.0.3749PUP.Optional.Conduit, C:\USERS\JSSEL\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Sync Data\SyncData.sqlite3, Replaced, [511], [454835],1.0.3749PUP.Optional.Conduit, C:\USERS\JSSEL\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Web Data, Replaced, [511], [454835],1.0.3749PUP.Optional.ASK, C:\USERS\JSSEL\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Sync Data\SyncData.sqlite3, Replaced, [462], [454827],1.0.3749PUP.Optional.ASK, C:\USERS\JSSEL\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Web Data, Replaced, [462], [454827],1.0.3749PUP.Optional.Spigot, C:\USERS\JSSEL\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Sync Data\SyncData.sqlite3, Replaced, [583], [454814],1.0.3749PUP.Optional.Spigot, C:\USERS\JSSEL\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Web Data, Replaced, [583], [454814],1.0.3749PUP.Optional.Conduit, C:\USERS\JSSEL\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Web Data, Replaced, [511], [454832],1.0.3749PUP.Optional.Trovi, C:\USERS\JSSEL\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Web Data, Replaced, [4616], [454808],1.0.3749PUP.Optional.Trovi, C:\USERS\JSSEL\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Web Data, Replaced, [4616], [454808],1.0.3749Physical Sector: 0(No malicious items detected)(end)

algiz13, Jan 20, 2018
  8. Desktop/Start Menu not clickable - I have to open task manager to fix

I would like you to check the system integrity of your Windows OS installation.

• Please type cmd.exe into Start Menu search box.
    • Please right click cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator".
    • Please type the following command and press the <Enter> key: sfc /scannow (Please note that there is a space between 'sfc" and "/scannow".)
    • It should take about 20 minutes to run, if there are no serious errors.
    • If the System File Checker reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain; please reboot your computer and run the System File Checker from an Administrator Command Prompt, again.
    • If the System File Checker again reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain, please reboot your computer and run it a third time.
    • If "Resource Integrity Violations" (errors) are reported that could not be corrected, or were not corrected after a third SFC run, then please navigate to the folder: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS and copy the file "cbs.log" to your desktop immediately. I am asking you do that because that file is dynamic, so I want to be able to examine a copy that is unchanged from the time that the System File Checker was run.
    • If there are errors that couldn't be corrected, let me know and I will provide you with instructions as to how to upload the file.

FreeBooter, Jan 20, 2018
  9. algiz13 Win User
    "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Thankyou for helping me with this.

algiz13, Jan 20, 2018
  10. Can you not right click the Desktop or can you not left click the Desktop or is it both?

You are very welcome!

FreeBooter, Jan 20, 2018
  11. algiz13 Win User
    OK - so I was just checking the answer to your questions.

- I cannot left click to open the start menu.
    - I can double-click on the Recycle bin, for instance, but once it is open I cannot click on the 'X' to close it.
    - I can click and drag icons on the desktop.
    - I can right click.

It almost like the left click is not setting focus or something.

algiz13, Jan 20, 2018
  12. Please install latest version of graphic card driver from either your computer manufacturer website or graphic card manufacturer website. Also install latest device drivers for your computer.

If you have a another extra mouse use this mouse to check if the issue resolves.

Check to see if your mouse have a latest driver you can install.

FreeBooter, Jan 21, 2018
  13. algiz13 Win User

OK
    I have done all of that.

Its still causing the same problem.

(I have even done a full reset of Windows 10)

algiz13, Jan 22, 2018
  14. FreeBooter, Jan 22, 2018
  15. zbook New Member
    Perform the following steps:
    1) type: win + x (simultaneous)
    2) type: a
    3) type: alt + x (simultaneously)
    Most of the time this opens administrative command prompt.
    If the settings were not modified it may open administrative powershell.

If it is administrative command prompt or if you can open administrative command prompt type or copy and paste:
    1) sfc /scannow
    2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    3) chkdsk /scan
    4) net user test /add
    5) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread
    6) shutdown /r
    7) reboot and sign on with the new user named test.

Report into the thread whether the new user named test has a desktop without the problem that the current user is having.

If there are problems with both users then open administrative powershell and copy and paste:
    Code: Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}[/quote] reboot and sign on with the new user test and report the findings into the thread.

zbook, Jan 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop/Start Menu not clickable - I have to open task manager to fix - Similar Threads - Desktop Start Menu

2. Task Manager & Start Menu Issues- Any Fixes/Patches For This Coming?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager & Start Menu Issues- Any Fixes/Patches For This Coming?: OK, you're probably wondering what these "issues" are that my system has as soon as you read the title & possibly decided to open it up just to read the post. I'm really curious to know if any other Windows 11 users out there like myself are still experiencing this. Maybe I...
  3. Task Manager & Start Menu Issues- Any Fixes/Patches For This Coming?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Manager & Start Menu Issues- Any Fixes/Patches For This Coming?: OK, you're probably wondering what these "issues" are that my system has as soon as you read the title & possibly decided to open it up just to read the post. I'm really curious to know if any other Windows 11 users out there like myself are still experiencing this. Maybe I...
  4. Task bar and Start Menu not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task bar and Start Menu not opening: Hi I have a Windows 10. When I try to type anything in the Search box the screen freezes Until I open Task Manager, and none of the right bottom keys on the taskbar works. When I try to open the start menu- It opens and closes and leaves a black screen where it opened after...
  5. No desktop icons, start menu won't open, Taskbar won't open, task manager won't open,...

in Windows 10 Customization
    No desktop icons, start menu won't open, Taskbar won't open, task manager won't open,...: It's all in the title. When I login, there are no desktop icons. If I click a few times the screen will flash and go back to how it was. Clicking on the Taskbar results in the same thing. I've tried opening task manager by ctrl Alt delete and by ctrl shift escape, but it...
  6. Taskbar, Task manager, start menu and desktop not working.

Taskbar, Task manager, start menu and desktop not working.: Recently my computer does not work properly, when I boot it up, it takes a vert long time for the icons on the desktop to load, while bot being able to open start menu, when I open Task Manager it stops working. I've tried safe mode, clean start up, sfc scans and nothing...
  7. Taskbar and start menu are unresponsive on desktop and task manager will not open

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar and start menu are unresponsive on desktop and task manager will not open: Title says it all. Taskbar won’t even load app icons. I only have recycle bin on my front page so I don’t know if apps like chrome would even open, but when I open the bin and try to navigate to my files it’s goes unresponsive. Right clicking does not do anything on the...
  8. Start Menu and Taskbar icons are not clickable

Start Menu and Taskbar icons are not clickable: Hi, please am having issues with my pc start menu, search bar and all the taskbar icons, after i update the windows 10. The start menu windows button is not working and all other taskbar icons. some settings like windows security and account settings are not working also....
  9. Start Menu not clickable at times...

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu not clickable at times...: Every once in a whils I lose the ability of opening the start menu either by clicking on it or using the keyboard. In order to restart, I have to hit the reset button. After that, I regain the Start Menu, but that does not last long. Maybe a couple of hours later the same...
  10. Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager: The other day my computer was refusing to open some pop-up windows in Google Chrome so I restarted it. It hung in the restart window with the spinning circle for a significant period of time so I was forced to shut down. Upon restarting, I get to my desktop and my cursor...