Windows 10: Disable Cortana using gpedit but process still running after reboot.

Discus and support Disable Cortana using gpedit but process still running after reboot. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I expected gpedit setting to kill the process, but it hasn't. Is this usual? Any other ways to stop it? 84610 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Iangh, May 16, 2017.

1. Iangh Win User

Disable Cortana using gpedit but process still running after reboot.

I expected gpedit setting to kill the process, but it hasn't. Is this usual? Any other ways to stop it?

:)

Iangh, May 16, 2017
  2. HONDO209 Win User

Too many background processes running in Windows 10

I agree, there are wayyyy too many processes running in W10. Right now I have 82 processes running. In W7 only in the 30s. I uninstalled all the apps, disabled Defender, killed some processes. Disabled all the spyware. Killed auto update in GPedit. I still
    have this many processes. It's ridiculous.

HONDO209, May 16, 2017
  3. how to restore cortana

hi i have cortana problem i disabled cortana from gpedit then i wanted it back i did restore the change in gpedit but i still have only the windows search box shown below

i tried everything found in the internet but i still have the problem

Is there a way I can restore Cortana?

Disable Cortana using gpedit but process still running after reboot. [​IMG]

mouzakigeek, May 16, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

This is probably what you have done - see note. Which process are you concerned about?

Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

dalchina, May 16, 2017
  5. Iangh Win User
    I have the Cortana apps process showing in Task Manager, but the Windows Search icon on the taskbar. I have Cortana running for search and not as the assistant? That sounds plausible. Cheers.

Iangh, May 16, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    For example, Win key + S should not now cause a Cortana dialogue to appear.

Bear in mind the Cortana search box is little more than a front end to traditional Windows search (search box in file explorer) and is more restricted.
    - will not find any executable files (various types)
    - only finds what's been indexed when searching documents
    - does not handle MS Advanced Query Syntax
    - is a mix of program/start menu, web and document search lacking the customisability of e.g. Classic Shell start menu's search box (free highly regarded 3rd party tool )
    - requires more clicks to focus on videos or photos e.g.

That said, it can be very useful, so long as you're aware of these restrictions.

dalchina, May 16, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
Thema:

1. Disable Cortana using gpedit but process still running after reboot. - Similar Threads - Disable Cortana using

2. Cortana disabled, but cortana processes still wants to connect to internet.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana disabled, but cortana processes still wants to connect to internet.: Hi, I have disabled all cortana features in settings and O&O shutup 10, but the cortana processes is still establishing connections.How do I proceed to fully uninstall it?If I need an assistant, I will hire one....
  3. Why is Cortana still running and how do I disable it permanently?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is Cortana still running and how do I disable it permanently?: My PC is using Windows 10 Education, which disables most in-built telemetry and data collection. In settings, anything related to Cortana is off. However, Focus Assist in the Action Center uses Cortana, and in Task Manager there is a Cortana process. Is this to be expected...
  4. I have Cortana disabled yet it is still using CPU strenuously.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    I have Cortana disabled yet it is still using CPU strenuously.: I have Cortana disable via the registry hack; yet task manager is reporting that Cortana is largely robbing the CPU percentage and pegging my CPU at times to its limits. If I understand correctly, the Cortana and Search feature are combined; but I wasn't even using the...
  5. Even after disabling Cortana, it is still using network, anyway to stop that?!

in Cortana
    Even after disabling Cortana, it is still using network, anyway to stop that?!: [ATTACH] I had Windows 10 Home and this issue wasn't occurring. Last night I decided to freshly install Windows 10 Pro version and since then I am seeing this Cortana in the App history using Network that never happened to do in Windows 10 Home. Is there anyway to stop this...
  6. How do I disable Cortana and still use the search function?

in Cortana
    How do I disable Cortana and still use the search function?: I have no use for Cortana. It is a burden on my system with no benefit for me. How do I disable it and maintain the search function? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-disable-cortana-and-still-use-the-search/6eed2ac0-b8e9-436c-b61d-f725949fb9ef"
  7. my gpedit is not run.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my gpedit is not run.: I very try to run my gpedit but is not found in my windo 10. way it can be possibal ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/my-gpedit-is-not-run/17913733-edb5-4eac-a192-166a07d9f631
  8. Cortana runs in background after being disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana runs in background after being disabled: I have already turned off Cortana and her ability to 'get to know me' in the settings. I go to task manager and Cortana still shows up. while using 3% or memory(a large chunk compared to what is being used when nothing is open), i end her process. After a second or two,...
  9. Why is the disabled Cortana still running ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is the disabled Cortana still running ?: Hi there I have disabled Cortana but it still runs in the background. [img] Anyone know why ? and can it be disabled completely ? zoo 24943
  10. Disabled Windows Search service... Cortana still running?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disabled Windows Search service... Cortana still running?: So I've gotten fed up enough with the terrible windows search system. I went into services.msc and disabled the windows search service; then restarted my computer. However, "Cortana" is still listed in my task manager taking up 50mb of memory. How do I kill Cortana?...