Windows 10: Disable WU's permanently, but allow for MANUAL update.

Discus and support Disable WU's permanently, but allow for MANUAL update. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I would like to disable WU's permanently. By that, I mean that I ONLY want to manually [Settings => Update & Security => Windows Update => Check for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Paul Black, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Disable WU's permanently, but allow for MANUAL update.

I would like to disable WU's permanently. By that, I mean that I ONLY want to manually [Settings => Update & Security => Windows Update => Check for updates] check for updates when I want to.

Is is best to . . .

[1] Use gpedit.msc => Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update, and then change the Configure Automatic Updates policy to Disabled.

[2] Use gpedit.msc => Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update, and then change the Configure Automatic Updates policy to Enabled, then use Option 2 [Notify for download and auto install].

[3] Use egedit => HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows => New => Key [named WU for example], right-click the New Key => New => Key [named AWU for example] => DWORD (32-bit) value => name the new key NAWU for example => change the value to 1.

[4] Use egedit => HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows => New => Key [named WU for example], right-click the New Key => New => Key [named AWU for example] => DWORD (32-bit) value => name the new key NAWU for example => then use Option 2 [Notify for download and auto install].

Thanks in advance.

:)

Paul Black, Feb 6, 2020

2. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Feb 6, 2020
  3. Try3 Win User
    Disabling WU: pXc-coding / Manual (Trigger Start)

Mike,

The thread has diverged somewhat so I think you might be referring to something else. Matthew had been suggesting a script for running Windows update and it was that script that I was referring to. Since I am happy with my current arrangements I am reluctant to experiment with a new script that does not replace all aspects of them because I would also need/want to spend time researching it & I would almost certainly end up restoring a previous system image afterwards.

I am happy with the method I use to stop automatic Windows updates
    - metered connections
    - default network connection properties set to metered to avoid accidental updates. Step-by-step procedure shown in my post #74 below because I could not find it written out already in TenForums.
    - permissions removed from USOClient [post #4 by ,TairikuOkami and several other TenForums threads],
    - automatic maintenance disabled [Disable Automatic Maintenance - TenForums] with some elements of it set up separately. This only has a minor effect - it stops Settings, WU from showing spurious 'date last checked' info.

I am happy with the methods I use to get Windows updates manually
    - Windows defender updates & automatic scans handled by batch files that are run by Task scheduler, and
    - PSWU [PSWindowsUpdate - TenForums], and
    - some use of WUMinTool [Windows Update MiniTool - MajorGeeks which was also discussed earlier in this thread as well as in other TenForums threads].

Denis

Try3, Feb 6, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Disable WU's permanently, but allow for MANUAL update.

how to permanently disable windows 10 automatic updates,

Hi Ezequíaz, complete the 3 steps below to permanently stop Windows 10 Automatic Updates:

Open the Settings App

Go to Accounts - Sign-in Options

Choose to sign in with a Local Account rather than a Microsoft Account.

In the Settings App

Go to Network and Internet

Set your WiFi connection as Metered

Click your Start Button, type services and hit ENTER

Scroll down the list of services to find Windows Update

Double click the service

If it has started, click 'Stop'

Then you must set its startup type to 'Disabled' - 'Manual' will not do!

Restart your PC

That's It!

DaveM121, Feb 6, 2020
Thema:

Disable WU's permanently, but allow for MANUAL update.

1. Disable WU's permanently, but allow for MANUAL update. - Similar Threads - Disable WU's permanently

2. Windows Update disabled permanently .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update disabled permanently .: can anyone helpe me out of this? how to disable windows update permanently in windows 10. because my system automatic restarts. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-disabled-permanently/cc5378a0-ad16-4044-8ccc-19a705ff67f4
  3. Windows Update disabled permanently .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update disabled permanently .: can anyone helpe me out of this? how to disable windows update permanently in windows 10. because my system automatic restarts. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-disabled-permanently/cc5378a0-ad16-4044-8ccc-19a705ff67f4
  4. Windows Update disabled permanently .

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to permanently disable Updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to permanently disable Updates?: I absolutely hate it. It keeps forcing me to update every now and then using huge bandwidths. I hate the fact it keeps harassing me all the time prompting me to update regularly and I can't find a way to disable it. Just stop! Leave me alone, Windows Updates. Just go away. I...
  6. Permanently disabled windows updates

Permanently disabled windows updates: How can I permanently disable windows updates? I have a 2 year old Dell that, when I delete the updates, runs like a top. As soon as updates are installed, it slows to the point where it's barely usable. I do not wish to use the updates but you've taken away my ability to...
  7. Permanently Disable Updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Permanently Disable Updates: I almost never shutdown my PC or restart as I use it a a lot. I usually just put it into hibernate. The every few weeks that I do shut it down I always am forced to go through with a Windows update. No matter how much I search or disable stuff I can not figure out any way to...
  8. How to permanently disable update

How to permanently disable update: Windows 10 update keeps turning itself back on after I disable it . I want it permanently disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-permanently-disable-update/ad74379e-f311-4abd-8ebe-2681bdd1154d
  9. Permanently disabling Windows 10 updates... permanently.

Permanently disabling Windows 10 updates... permanently.: I would like to know how to fully disable updates for windows 10. Not partially, not some arbitrary percentage, but COMPLETELY AND PERMANENTLY! I'm tired of having these updates crammed down my throat without even having a choice in the matter. I'm fully aware that this...
  10. Disabling WU will disable Drivers Update also?

Disabling WU will disable Drivers Update also?: My PC is a Production Machine and I do not want to lose time with broken updates, so I decided to completely disable the Windows Update in Services. Will this also Disable the Drivers Updates by means of the Online Search and Install? Thank you 65969