Windows 10: Disabling automatic updates and restart on Win10 v1607

Discus and support Disabling automatic updates and restart on Win10 v1607 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I would like to know, does disabling automatic updates works on Windows 10 v1607 (Anniversary Update)? I would like to set it to ask me before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by n00ne, Mar 1, 2017.

1. n00ne Win User

Disabling automatic updates and restart on Win10 v1607

Hello, I would like to know, does disabling automatic updates works on Windows 10 v1607 (Anniversary Update)? I would like to set it to ask me before installing updates. I tried set it via Edit group policy on Win10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 in Virtualbox but it seems it didnt work and updates were installed automatically without asking (however I manually clicked on Check for updates).

And also I would like to disable all automatic restarts by Windows Update (only manually restarts), is there some option which work on all editions (especially Home edition)?

Thanks for info.

:)

n00ne, Mar 1, 2017

2. How to "Manually" Install Win10 v1607 Updates

Vanessa Oca,

Here's my somewhat "complicated" resolution answer - YES and NO...(as with most MS software issues...for me, not being a MS software "weenie", just a retired Systems Test and Integration Engineer of 40 years. Recalling my objective to only manually install
    Win10 v1607 updates without installing Win10 v1709 (Fall Creators Update).

1). First, I didn't even know a Microsoft Update Catalog existed on Win10 v1607 (Update History page).

2). I did use the MS Update Catalog "link" you provided, searched for v1607 updates and only found 1 of my 2 target updates (KB4056887) and not (KB4049411)??

3). I did a download of (KB4056887) successfully and upon installation got this "pop-up" message: "Windows Update Standalone Installer - The update is not applicable to your computer"??

4). In frustration, decided to eliminate another software annoyance...Uninstall Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS - 2016) from "constantly reminding me to renew" after letting my one year subscription expire in favor of Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium.

5). Now here comes the "MAGIC". The Uninstall went flawless with a follow on Restart.

Apparently there were an accumulation of v1607 updates that took sometime to install and restart my computer. With fingers crossed...BINGO!! Both of my target v1607 updates (above) were installed + a few other updates and I still have Win10 v1607 (OS Build
    14393.1944) with Feature Update Win10 v1709 waiting in Update Status page.

Thanks for your guidance!!

Dan_de_Lion, Mar 1, 2017
  3. How to "Manually" Install Win10 v1607 Updates

I am currently running Win10, version 1607, and want to keep this version until after 2017 tax reporting. I have "2" v1607 updates (KB4056887 and KB4040411) to install in my Update History which require a Restart. I keep getting this annoying "blue Update
    Message" displayed that I continually override. Win10 v1709 (Fall Creators Update) is also sitting in my Update List.

I did not "Auto Update" to Win10 v1703 (Creators Update) or Win10 v1709 (Fall Creators Update) in anticipation of your typical Microsoft update anomalies that I don't have time to troubleshoot. Additionally, I really don't need all of those fancy 3D & movie
    creation features at this time.

So is there a way to "manually" update those "2" v1607 updates, to get rid of the annoying "Update Message", without also updating to v1709 (Fall Creators Update)??

Dan_de_Lion, Mar 1, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello n00ne, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you like, you could use an option in the tutorial below to disable automatic updates so that Windows will only update when you manually check for updates. This can be helpful so you can update and restart when you have the time to.

Windows Update Automatic Updates - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

or

Windows Update - Turn On or Off Pause Updates in Windows 10

You can't really disable automatic restarts for updates, but you can change your active hours for when it's best for you to have the computer restart for updates.

Windows Update Active Hours - Change in Windows 10

See also:

Windows Update - Use Custom Restart Time in Windows 10

Windows Update Restart Notifications - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

Brink, Mar 1, 2017
  5. cv007 Win User
    I find the simple way is to just set Windows Update service to disabled. When you are in the mood, if ever, to let Windows hack away on your pc, turn on Windows Update service, check for updates, install, then disable the Windows Update service again.

With updates disabled, Windows will have no reason on its own to reboot.

I have a laptop that has been running for 6 months, no reboot, no poweroff, no hibernate, no sleep, no hassles from Windows. The only thing I keep updated is Chrome. (Windows Defender will still update on its own).

cv007, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Disabling automatic updates and restart on Win10 v1607 - Similar Threads - Disabling automatic updates

2. Disable Active Hours and Stop Automatic Restarting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Active Hours and Stop Automatic Restarting: My laptop is often left in my work bag overnight, or other places where having said laptop running for hours is not convenient or downright bad for the system. If I get hoe from work and I don't use the laptop that evening, it stays in my backpack all night. There have been...
  3. Automatic restarts

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Automatic restarts: My brother's pc has 1803 and got a notification for restarting to upgrade to 1903. That's cool and all, but it doesn't restart automatically some days later. The "update and restart" button is a separate button. Does it keep waiting for you to manually restart or will it...
  4. Disable automatics updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable automatics updates: How to disable automatic updates in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-automatics-updates/d6484564-a7b1-4fd7-bd15-520dd58072cf
  5. Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates: Is there any REAL way to disable this cancer feature? This is not the first time i have lost unsaved work due to this annoying function, that almost every Windows user hates. I'm trying to behave, but it is really hard to keep calm after loosing unsaved work multiple...
  6. Disable automatic reboot for updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable automatic reboot for updates: Windows 10 seems to like rebooting without my permission - such as when I have a fullscreen game open, and I also miss the notification to postpone. How do I disable this? I don't have windows pro and thus cant use gpedit. The registry keys various pages suggested editing...
  7. Disable automatic reboot for updates

Disable automatic reboot for updates: Windows 10 seems to like rebooting without my permission - such as when I have a fullscreen game open, and I also miss the notification to postpone. How do I disable this? I don't have windows pro and thus cant use gpedit. The registry keys various pages suggested editing...
  8. Disable Automatic Updates

Disable Automatic Updates: Right now, after installing Windows 10, I only have the option to Automatically Install Updates or Notify to Schedule Restart. This is a problem, I want to be able to choose what drivers I install. I don't want windows automatically installing all the craptastic 3rd party...
  9. how to disable all automatic restart in windows 10?

how to disable all automatic restart in windows 10?: Windows 10 Home rebooted for an unknown reason this morning. I woke up and found my pc hanged and unresponsive. I was able to connect through the vnc server, and saw the dot-circle going round and round. Just stuck there. I had to hard reboot. When I checked the Event...
  10. Windows Update Automatic Restart

Windows Update Automatic Restart: Hello, I just wanted to say here on the forums that making the Windows update restart my computer automatically, no matter what, is ridiculous. The last time the update had restarted my computer while I was using it, I went and put the settings to the option of "choose when...