Windows 10: Disabling automatic updates and restart on Win10 v1607

Discus and support Disabling automatic updates and restart on Win10 v1607 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I would like to know, does disabling automatic updates works on Windows 10 v1607 (Anniversary Update)? I would like to set it to ask me before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by n00ne, Mar 1, 2017.

1. n00ne Win User

Disabling automatic updates and restart on Win10 v1607

Hello, I would like to know, does disabling automatic updates works on Windows 10 v1607 (Anniversary Update)? I would like to set it to ask me before installing updates. I tried set it via Edit group policy on Win10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 in Virtualbox but it seems it didnt work and updates were installed automatically without asking (however I manually clicked on Check for updates).

And also I would like to disable all automatic restarts by Windows Update (only manually restarts), is there some option which work on all editions (especially Home edition)?

Thanks for info.

:)

n00ne, Mar 1, 2017

2. How to "Manually" Install Win10 v1607 Updates

Vanessa Oca,

Here's my somewhat "complicated" resolution answer - YES and NO...(as with most MS software issues...for me, not being a MS software "weenie", just a retired Systems Test and Integration Engineer of 40 years. Recalling my objective to only manually install
    Win10 v1607 updates without installing Win10 v1709 (Fall Creators Update).

1). First, I didn't even know a Microsoft Update Catalog existed on Win10 v1607 (Update History page).

2). I did use the MS Update Catalog "link" you provided, searched for v1607 updates and only found 1 of my 2 target updates (KB4056887) and not (KB4049411)??

3). I did a download of (KB4056887) successfully and upon installation got this "pop-up" message: "Windows Update Standalone Installer - The update is not applicable to your computer"??

4). In frustration, decided to eliminate another software annoyance...Uninstall Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS - 2016) from "constantly reminding me to renew" after letting my one year subscription expire in favor of Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium.

5). Now here comes the "MAGIC". The Uninstall went flawless with a follow on Restart.

Apparently there were an accumulation of v1607 updates that took sometime to install and restart my computer. With fingers crossed...BINGO!! Both of my target v1607 updates (above) were installed + a few other updates and I still have Win10 v1607 (OS Build
    14393.1944) with Feature Update Win10 v1709 waiting in Update Status page.

Thanks for your guidance!!

Dan_de_Lion, Mar 1, 2017
  3. How to "Manually" Install Win10 v1607 Updates

I am currently running Win10, version 1607, and want to keep this version until after 2017 tax reporting. I have "2" v1607 updates (KB4056887 and KB4040411) to install in my Update History which require a Restart. I keep getting this annoying "blue Update
    Message" displayed that I continually override. Win10 v1709 (Fall Creators Update) is also sitting in my Update List.

I did not "Auto Update" to Win10 v1703 (Creators Update) or Win10 v1709 (Fall Creators Update) in anticipation of your typical Microsoft update anomalies that I don't have time to troubleshoot. Additionally, I really don't need all of those fancy 3D & movie
    creation features at this time.

So is there a way to "manually" update those "2" v1607 updates, to get rid of the annoying "Update Message", without also updating to v1709 (Fall Creators Update)??

Dan_de_Lion, Mar 1, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello n00ne, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you like, you could use an option in the tutorial below to disable automatic updates so that Windows will only update when you manually check for updates. This can be helpful so you can update and restart when you have the time to.

Windows Update Automatic Updates - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

or

Windows Update - Turn On or Off Pause Updates in Windows 10

You can't really disable automatic restarts for updates, but you can change your active hours for when it's best for you to have the computer restart for updates.

Windows Update Active Hours - Change in Windows 10

See also:

Windows Update - Use Custom Restart Time in Windows 10

Windows Update Restart Notifications - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

Brink, Mar 1, 2017
  5. cv007 Win User
    I find the simple way is to just set Windows Update service to disabled. When you are in the mood, if ever, to let Windows hack away on your pc, turn on Windows Update service, check for updates, install, then disable the Windows Update service again.

With updates disabled, Windows will have no reason on its own to reboot.

I have a laptop that has been running for 6 months, no reboot, no poweroff, no hibernate, no sleep, no hassles from Windows. The only thing I keep updated is Chrome. (Windows Defender will still update on its own).

cv007, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Disabling automatic updates and restart on Win10 v1607 - Similar Threads - Disabling automatic updates

2. Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates: Other users have called Windows Update a cancer and there is no better word to summarize it. This morning I opened my laptop and found it had restarted. Every single thing I had been working on the for the past two weeks is gone. IDE closed, reference docs closed, data files...
  3. Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates: Other users have called Windows Update a cancer and there is no better word to summarize it. This morning I opened my laptop and found it had restarted. Every single thing I had been working on the for the past two weeks is gone. IDE closed, reference docs closed, data files...
  4. Disable Windows 10 automatic update/restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Windows 10 automatic update/restart: Firstly, why Microsoft do you lock threads when they're not addressed/resolved and I have to start another one with the practically the same title and issue?Now to the point. How does one stop a PC from restarting without permission.... permanently. I note that group policy...
  5. Disable Windows 10 automatic update/restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Windows 10 automatic update/restart: Firstly, why Microsoft do you lock threads when they're not addressed/resolved and I have to start another one with the practically the same title and issue?Now to the point. How does one stop a PC from restarting without permission.... permanently. I note that group policy...
  6. Disable Windows 10 automatic update/restart

7. Disable Automatic Restarts After Windows Updates

Disable Automatic Restarts After Windows Updates: I need a way to disable automatic restarts on Windows 10 Home. Setting active hours does not work. I have engineering programs that run on my system 24/7 and I'm tired of losing data because I come back in the morning to find that my computer randomly restarted during the...
  8. Permanently disable automatic restarts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Permanently disable automatic restarts: Once again, windows automatically restarted. This time I lost 2 days worth of work. I need to know how to permanently disable auto restart. I WILL decide when it is safe to reboot. Automatic updates are one thing, but this is a work computer. I need it to remaining running...
  9. How to disable automatic restarts after updates completely?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable automatic restarts after updates completely?: First of all: Sorry to bring this up again, I'm sure this question probably gets asked a lot. But somehow I haven't found a working solution (or done something wrong). What I want is to completely prevent my PC from automatically restarting, only restart when I explicitly say...
  10. Disable Automatic Restart on Update in Windows 10

Disable Automatic Restart on Update in Windows 10: Dear Microsoft Community, I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 2004. It has been multiple times since the previous-previous releases that Windows 10 automatically restart my PC for automatic updates. This makes me lost my unsaved work in which I have spent a lot of hours. I...