Windows 10: "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC"?

Discus and support "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC"? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi everybody. I need a t-shirt that says "I survived the upgrade to Windows 10". I started it Sunday afternoon, from Win 7, and finished it Monday... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MamaBear, Jul 26, 2016.

1. MamaBear Win User

"Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC"?

Hi everybody. I need a t-shirt that says "I survived the upgrade to Windows 10". I started it Sunday afternoon, from Win 7, and finished it Monday afternoon. Whew. Completely lost my home Wifi use, in the process and had to research it on the other PC, which had been upgraded 2 weeks before and experienced the same thing. Had to find a driver for my Asus USB-N53 wifi adapter - a driver that Asus never bothered to upgrade for Windows 10, and I had to find from Medialink, who did the chip.

Anyway, I'm getting "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC?" every single time I start a program now! Is there a setting that will remember my answer after the FIRST time, and not keep asking forever?
    ( why is my text suddenly getting underlined here? )

:)

MamaBear, Jul 26, 2016

2. do you want this app to make changes to your device?

Thankyou for trying to help John.....i n the end I had my laptop cleaned as if new and that has solved my problem. Bit of a nuisance but hey ho !!

panamahatz, Jul 26, 2016
  3. John Zab Win User
    do you want this app to make changes to your device?

Hi,

In line with your concern on pop-up message when making changes, kindly give us more information on the following:

• Are you currently logged in to a administrator account or a
      standard account?
    • Are you using a Microsoft account to login to your laptop?
    • Did you make any changes to your laptop prior to this issue?
    We look forward to your response.

John Zab, Jul 26, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello MamaBear, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

This is indeed the UAC (User Account Control) prompt that is asking you to approve to allow the app to run as an administrator (elevated). This is a security feature to prevent anything from running with elevated rights without you approving first. UAC doesn't have an exception list since it would defeat its designed purpose.

Change User Account Control (UAC) Settings in Windows 10 Security System Tutorials

Brink, Jul 26, 2016
  5. MamaBear Win User
    I'm fine with that. It's just that it's doing it OVER AND OVER, EVERY TIME I open the programs that I've already told it were ok! I want it to ask once, not EVERY SINGLE TIME. COME ON.

MamaBear, Jul 26, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That's what it's designed to do. To prompt you for approval each and every time anything wants to run with elevated rights.

This way if something was infected, it can't automatically run with elevated rights to have complete unrestricted access to your computer without you approving it first.

If you like, you can use the method in the tutorial below to create an elevated shortcut to run a program elevated without getting a UAC prompt. Just be warned of what I posted above.

Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Brink, Jul 26, 2016
  7. MamaBear Win User
    But how would I know that something was infected anyway, unless MalwareBytes or Microsoft Security Essentials CAUGHT it?

MamaBear, May 30, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Running and keeping antivirus software up to date would indeed be the best way.

Brink, May 30, 2017
  9. Precisely!!!! *Smile
    Asking for permission to run something that might be dangerous ... with no way for you to know whether or not it is dangerous ... IS UTTERLY STOOOPID.

If my antivirus says it's infected, it won't let me run that program (and will squirrel it away in the quarantine folder).
    If my antivirus gives no such warning, how am I to know whether it's dangerous?

It brings to mind the grade-school question "How do you spell <some-difficult-word>".
    Answer: Look it up in the dictionary!

D'oh!!!!!

margrave55, Jun 5, 2017
  10. macsrwe Win User
    Despite the moderator's defense of this behavior, my opinion is that it is an idiotic oversight on the part of Microsoft as well.

I, too, was getting really tired of seeing the warning box saying, "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to modify your system?" before every execution, and not being able to put the app in my startup list... so I did a web search to see if there were any way to turn that off. I came across this posting, where a fellow claimed that any app with the strings patch, install, update, or setup in the name will trigger this warning, while others won't.

It smacked of voodoo, but I renamed the offending package, netinstall.exe, to netinsttall.exe. After one additional, "do you want to let this app through the firewall" message box (it's a networking app), I never saw the message for that package again!

Yes, this tip sounds wacky, but I have had occasion to use it multiple times and it has always worked. Not sure how to help you if your app does't contain any of those strings, but if it does, try it, because you have nothing to lose.

macsrwe, Dec 2, 2017
  11. If you trust that App and or Program, then set it to run as administrator in its shortcut properties. I have / had one or two programs that prompted every time I launched them. I trust them as I installed them from a reputable source. I don't mind setting those programs to run as admin. I'd rather have to occasionally do that than turn UAC down or off.

alphanumeric, Dec 2, 2017
  12. macsrwe Win User
    Setting it to run as administrator had absolutely zero effect on this message. It's been set that way forever. Changing the name was the only way to turn this message off. Like you, I don't want to turn UAC off for my entire machine, but (other than my tip) that's the only whitelist option Microsoft offers, and I'm happy to have found one way to avoid using it.

macsrwe, Dec 2, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

It's not completely about trust.

Think of this notification as a last line of defense for you to approve (Yes/No) letting an app run elevated with unrestricted access to your PC.

If you initiated the action, then it's most likely safe.

However, if you just get a UAC prompt out of the blue, then it sure would be nice to have a chance to find out why first.

Just to note, the UAC prompt is different than the prompt for a blocked file like below.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC"? - Similar Threads - allow app changes

2. Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?: It said I need to enter an username and password for administrator but idk where can I find the password?P/S: I can access to administrator account btw...
  3. Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?: It said I need to enter an username and password for administrator but idk where can I find the password?P/S: I can access to administrator account btw...
  4. Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?: Well? Do I? I’ve installed a few things (zoom, iTunes, etc) without really thinking what I’m saying yes to. Should I be saying yes? Eek submitted by /u/watchtoweryvr [link] [comments]...
  5. “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?”

“Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?”: Hello everyone! I use Windows 10 home Whenever I install some new software, the window appears, where I get asked the following: Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device? 1) Where can I see a list, with all the apps that has been granted access? 2)...
  6. Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?: So yesterday I downloaded a game called Phantasy Star Online and whenever I opened it, it said "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" and I would usually click "yes" but this one time I clicked on "no" by accident and ever since then when I try to...
  7. do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device

in Windows 10 Customization
    do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device: Hi, whenever I want to update an app or try to delete one, I get a window that says "do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device". However, the window that pops up only gives me one option, a NO button. No other button to press for yes, or enter admin info....
  8. Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device? issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device? issue: Hi. When I open Chrome browser or Windows Live Mail, I am now getting a User Account Control pop-up dialog box with the message 'Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?' and I click on Yes. I don't get this message with any other browsers or email...
  9. "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?": I have a few programs that when I attempt to launch them Windows 10 stops them and asks "do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" I have to respond YES every time I want to run them. Is there a way to stop this message by application without turning...
  10. Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?

Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?: Win 10 Pro. 1709. Logged in as admin. I don't want to shut off UAC completely but that message gets pretty annoying at times. Is the only way to solve this is to use Task Scheduler or a third party app? or is there a setting that I am not aware of that I can just manually...