Windows 10: Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive

Discus and support Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everybody, Hopefully someone can help with this annoying issue. At some point shortly after installation I changed the Location of my Documents... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pjrobot, Nov 20, 2015.

1. pjrobot Win User

Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive

Hi everybody,

Hopefully someone can help with this annoying issue. At some point shortly after installation I changed the Location of my Documents folder, so it may reside within the OneDrive user folder.

Shortly thereafter I released this was not what I wanted, given that many applications, by default, spout numerous files into my Documents' location. I redirected the Documents folder once again, seemingly successfully, to its original location. Since then a second, duplicated Documents consistently reappears (even after deletion from both the PC and the OneDrive website).

On checking the properties of this Documents doppelganger I can observe that its location is configured still to the OneDrive folder.

I am hoping there exists some register wizardry that might solve this issue.

Thanks in advanced for any help!

Pete

:)

pjrobot, Nov 20, 2015

2. Help! How do I stop One Drive Sync in Windows 10?

That's right. If you tell OneDrive not to sync the Documents folder, then you won't see a Documents folder when you open your OneDrive anymore (in other words, your OneDrive will be empty because it's turned off). You'll have to just use the Documents
    folder that's not inside OneDrive instead.

If you have stuff inside the OneDrive documents folder, you might want to drag it out to your desktop before you turn it off, then drag them to the non-OneDrive documents folder.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Nov 20, 2015
  3. windows explorer

Yes, but in my problem case, the Onedrive synced documents folder is under My PC instead of my username\documents folder. The Onedrive synced documents folder also shows under Onedrive, where it should be.

GeraldDummer, Nov 20, 2015
  4. Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive

How did you change the location of the documents? If you're absolutely sure you cannot find it under This PC tab in Windows Explorer, then go to OneDrive and right click on the documents folder in there (make sure this is not the OneDrive documents folder, which looks very similar). Select properties in the menu that appears. Go to the Location tab in Properties. In the text box that appears, enter in C:\Users\Your-Username\Documents . This should put your documents folder back in its normal location. This definitely should work, as I did it to my own computer just to check.

JTechnology, Nov 20, 2015
  5. How did you move it back? Did you use the Restore Default option? If No, I would do that on both folders.

alphanumeric, Nov 20, 2015
  6. pjrobot Win User
    Hi and thanks for replying,

I had changed the location using the Location tab of the Documents' Properties. I did indeed restore default location afterwards. I have tried changing the Location back as you have described to no avail, prompting this error:

Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive [​IMG]

Many Thanks,

Pete

pjrobot, Nov 20, 2015
  7. There is supposed to be a Documents folder in OneDrive by the way. And one in C:\Users\ your user name. There should be Documents, Pictures, Music and Public folders there.

alphanumeric, Nov 20, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 20, 2015
  9. pjrobot Win User
    Thanks for your continued help,

If that is the case, seems rather counter-intuitive to end up with this situation:

I have none of the folders Pictures, Music, etc folders in there. I have used OneDrive prior to upgrading from Windows 7. You're saying that these folders would simply be injected among my previously established OneDrive folder configuration?

Regards,

Peter

pjrobot, Nov 21, 2015
  10. pjrobot Win User
    Thanks for the warm welcome Brink,

I have checked this and these settings are already configured as illustrated.

Regards,

Peter

pjrobot, Nov 21, 2015
  11. Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive [​IMG]

alphanumeric, Nov 21, 2015
  12. pjrobot Win User
    Perhaps the two have become merged irreversibly? The icon in my OneDrive also appears to be different.

This by no means solves my problem.

pjrobot, Nov 21, 2015
  13. Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive

I'm not sure what you did to be honest? How did you originally move your documents folder, and why?

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 21, 2015
  15. I have a OneDrive and OneDrive for business listed in my Start menu. The for business I believe is tied to my office 2016 install. They both have an uninstall option if I right click their start menu icon. Maybe uninstall and reinstall Onedrive? If that's possible?

Thema:

1. Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive - Similar Threads - Documents Folder Stuck

2. Documents folder turned into OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents folder turned into OneDrive: I used to have a yellow manila folder under the blue cloud in File Explorer that was called Documents and was part of my OneDrive, and a text file symbol folder under the My PC in File Explorer that was called Documents and saved to my hard drive. I switched to a new...
  3. Documents folder turned into OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Documents folder turned into OneDrive: I used to have a yellow manila folder under the blue cloud in File Explorer that was called Documents and was part of my OneDrive, and a text file symbol folder under the My PC in File Explorer that was called Documents and saved to my hard drive. I switched to a new...
  4. Onedrive Documents folder moved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive Documents folder moved: Good afternoonHaving purchased a laptop in addition to my desktop setup, I have set it up with access to my onedrive files. During the process the 'Documents' folder moved to become a subfolder of e-mail attachments. Step 1 - panic everything is gone. Step 2 - oh it's still...
  5. Onedrive Documents folder moved

Onedrive Documents folder moved: Good afternoonHaving purchased a laptop in addition to my desktop setup, I have set it up with access to my onedrive files. During the process the 'Documents' folder moved to become a subfolder of e-mail attachments. Step 1 - panic everything is gone. Step 2 - oh it's still...
  6. Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive: I activated OneDrive to add my university's OneDrive folder to File Explorer. In doing so, my primary user folders Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, etc. were moved there as well. In attempting to reverse this all returned excluding the Documents folder, persisting in its...
  7. Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive

Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive: I activated OneDrive to add my university's OneDrive folder to File Explorer. In doing so, my primary user folders Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, etc. were moved there as well. In attempting to reverse this all returned excluding the Documents folder, persisting in its...
  8. My Documents is on OneDrive folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Documents is on OneDrive folder: I didn't know why but my Documents folder is on OneDrive. So when I save something on Documents, my OneDrive will automatically sync. I found that this results in more storage used, so if I have a 50mb file, it takes up space both in my computer and OneDrive. When I try to...
  9. Documents folder stuck in OneDrive and duplicate Pictures folders.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder stuck in OneDrive and duplicate Pictures folders.: I was moving some folders around and my Documents folder ended up getting moved into my OneDrive Folder from This PC. Where my Documents folder used to be there's now a duplicate Pictures folder with the same icon as my old Documents Folder. When I tried to restore the...
  10. OneDrive documents folder and the real documents folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive documents folder and the real documents folder.: I didn't find an answer to this exact question. Windows 10 Home 1511 x64 clean install. In the left pane of File Explorer there is a Documents folder which points to my OneDrive folder and contains almost nothing (just a few folders that programs created). Under my username...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive windows 10