Does F8 key still work to boot into Safe Mode?

Discus and support Does F8 key still work to boot into Safe Mode? in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; I ran into a problem installing Win10 on my laptop (I posted about it here). I got into an endless reboot cycle where Win would go to desktop but no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CountryBumkin, Jul 6, 2015.

1. CountryBumkin Win User

I ran into a problem installing Win10 on my laptop (I posted about it here). I got into an endless reboot cycle where Win would go to desktop but no taskbar/apps worked and a popup message left me no choice but to reboot again. I needed to get to Safe Mode to fix this. I had a USB stick with the Win10 install files on it, but no way to boot to it.

I tried repeatedly pressing F8 key from BIO screen to Windows start, but could not get into Safe Mode. F8 and Shift+F8 didn't work (nor did F6). It seemed that mu USB keyboard was not being recognized during the boot up process (is this possible?).

so, I could get to desktop but no further, however I was getting to the login screen where there is a icon to shutdown or restart. I read here that holding the Shift key while selecting Restart would boot into Safe Mode. That worked!

So does F8 no longer work during boot up? Or is my keyboard not being recognized until after Windows loads?

:)

CountryBumkin, Jul 6, 2015
  2. angellangell Win User

Safe Mode F8 Key Does Not Work In Windows 10

omg who is writing that **** programs ???????????

recovery not working at all at windows 10 what the fk

nothing is working on windows 10 Microsoft must hire anothers programers I cant fix **** nothing with windows 10 and that shity updates too acusing windows not work ok at all

angellangell, Jul 6, 2015
  3. MovingTechnologyForward Win User
    Safe Mode F8 Key Does Not Work In Windows 10

On Windows 7 and Windows 8 we were able to start the computer from scratch by tapping the "F8" key which forced the computer into a Safe Mode screen with different choices. On Windows 10 they took this ability away. It's annoying when you get the blue screen
    and you can't get into safe mode.

You will have to check this on a running Windows 10 system to see if these instructions are there by using the procedure below.

There is away around it by setting some parameters in REGEDIT.

Start with "System Command" prompt as administrator

go to the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Configuration Manager

You should see a "BackupCount" as a Dword.

If there is no BackupCount, right click on configuration manager, then click on new DWORD(32-bit) call it "BackupCount", and set its value to 2.

Now go back to configuration manager and right click and go to "NEW KEY" and type "LastKnownGood", this will create the key

Now right click on "LastKnownGood", then click on new DWORD(32-bit) and type "Enabled", set this value to 1

now exit out of Regedit.

At the command prompt type "BCDEdit /Set {Current} BootMenuPolicy Legacy" and hit the enter key. You should see successful.

Now power down your Windows 10 system and restart it, lightly tapping the "F8" key like you did in Win7 or 8.

Now you should be able to have all the controls like in the old operating system days..

I hope Microsoft will bring back this feature to save Windows 10 users a lot of headaches.

MovingTechnologyForward, Jul 6, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 6, 2015
  5. CountryBumkin Win User
    It was Option Two, step 4 (holding shift key while pressing restart) that worked.

CountryBumkin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Does F8 key still work to boot into Safe Mode? - Similar Threads - Does key still

1. Microsoft Office 2010, Does Product Key have to be in caps?

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft Office 2010, Does Product Key have to be in caps?: The subject says it all. I could not finish installation of Microsoft Office 2010. I have the Product Key but don't know if the maximum number of uses has been met. The website that the installation sent me to for entering the product key said that upper or lower case was ok....
  2. Touchpad does not respond when I am holding key on the keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad does not respond when I am holding key on the keyboard: it's becoming a real problem trying to play like that... please help 103765
  3. Does Windows 10 support disk on key 1TR?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Does Windows 10 support disk on key 1TR?: Hi, I just bought a disk on key (DOK) 1TR. The device file system is exFAT. When I try to copy files (movies for example) it copies as looks like OK. Some of the files work (from the DOK), some not although they all work on my PC. When I try to copy some more files - some...
  4. Where in the BIOS does MS store the Win10 key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Where in the BIOS does MS store the Win10 key: I have had my BIOS locked with a password ever since I started testing Windows 10 Builds. I have not had to enter the password and have updated to the latest CB build. How does MS do this? or if it can do this How? I run a ASUS P9X79 LE motherboard. 53735
  5. Win10 updated from Win8 - does clean install loose product key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 updated from Win8 - does clean install loose product key?: I have Pavilion laptop with Win8 recovery option. I've upgraded my Win8 to Win10 via the free option. Now I need a clean install (format c: equal). Should I: 1. Install Win10 directly from the usb flash I used to install my desktop? If so what happens with product key,...
  6. Ctl key + mouse click does wrong thing

in Windows 10 Support
    Ctl key + mouse click does wrong thing: I have just built a new computer with bits from e-bay at a fraction of what it would have cost new *Smile I have been using Windows XP, NT, 7 since DOS. I have now embarked on the experience which is Windows 10 - some good most horrible, but it does run faster. I have...
  7. No start key - taskbar does not respond to R mouse click + no edge ico

in Windows 10 Support
    No start key - taskbar does not respond to R mouse click + no edge ico: After reading all of the possible steps to fix what appears to be a common situation in Windows 10. I find that none of them work. My computer has all the signs and symptoms as described. Does anyone have a solution to this or is it as suggested just format the hard disk and...