Windows 10: Edge not working after Creators Update

Discus and support Edge not working after Creators Update in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Microsoft Edge launches to a blank screen, hangs for a few moments then shuts off. This has happened since the Creators so called Update. It worked... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by alanmlloyd, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Edge not working after Creators Update

Microsoft Edge launches to a blank screen, hangs for a few moments then shuts off. This has happened since the Creators so called Update. It worked perfectly until then. Can anything be done or should I use Opera instead?

:)

alanmlloyd, Oct 5, 2017
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 5, 2017
  3. edge not working after creators update

David, just to be clear only the Refresh is a reset that requires reinstalling your programs and settings. The Repair Upgrade using latest media keeps your files, programs and settings in place but only reinstalls v.1709 if you have it or advances you
    to v.1709 if you don't have it yet. I've never seen such a Repair Upgrade not repair a system file like Edge so that's why I suggested it after you reported the Edge Reset and reinstall didn't work.

There is also in the Checklist steps I gave the System File Checker which may repair System Files like Edge if you run it:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow...

I hope this clarifies and gives you all possible options if you want to have Edge. It also might start working on it's own, too, perhaps after some Windows Updates.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 5, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Edge not working after Creators Update

dalchina, Oct 5, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Edge was admitted as being a 'Known issue' four days after September's 'Patch Tuesday' cumulative update to build 15063.608.
    Cumulative Update KB4038788 Windows 10 v1703 Build 15063.608

This led to an 'out of band' cumulative update on 25th September (15063.632) that was supposed to fix Edge.
    Cumulative Update KB4040724 Windows 10 v1703 Build 15063.632

Bree, Oct 5, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    What's your current build?
    (Windows key + R, winver)
    If below latest, you could try checking for updates manually.

dalchina, Oct 5, 2017
  7. If you are having any of the problems like below with Microsoft Edge, then resetting Microsoft Edge settings to default and reinstalling Microsoft Edge may help.

• Microsoft Edge doesn't not open when you click/tap on it's icon
    • Microsoft Edge is missing from the Start menu
    • Microsoft Edge is not listed in default apps.
    • Microsoft Edge opens and then closes immediately.

When you reset Microsoft Edge, it will also delete all of your favorites in Microsoft Edge.

If wanted, you should back up your favorites in Microsoft Edge first.

Edge not working after Creators Update [​IMG]

1. Open Windows PowerShell by pressing the
    + S keys to open Search.

2. Type powershell into search box.

3. Right click the Windows PowerShell in the search results and select Run as administrator.

4. Execute following command:

Code: remove-item $env:localappdata\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\* -recurse -Force[/quote]

5. Execute following command:

Code: Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}[/quote]

6. Restart your computer.

FreeBooter, Oct 5, 2017
  8. Edge not working after Creators Update

Hi Freebooter, I just tried that , but Edge still will not load. It now comes on briefly then shuts down.

alanmlloyd, Oct 6, 2017
  9. Open the Command Prompt as a administrator and type following command and let us know the result.
    Code: start microsoft-edge:http://www.microsoft.com[/quote]

FreeBooter, Oct 6, 2017
  10. Eagle51 Win User
    Eagle51, Oct 6, 2017
  11. Hi Freebooter, I tried as you suggested but Edge still didn't boot.

alanmlloyd, Oct 6, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    @alanmlloyd,

You don't say if you have Home or Pro. This thread has a variety of different solutions that have worked for some but not others, it seems there's no one solution that works for all. Some are specific to Pro, but many are applicable to both. See if working your way through them may help.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...in10itprosetup

The ones that strike me as potentially helpful are to check Reliability Monitor for clues around the time of the crash and to try DISM's /RestoreHealth option.

13. Edge not working after Creators Update

FreeBooter, Oct 6, 2017
  14. Hi Freebooter, thanks for the info, but I'm gonna leave It as it is with Edge broken. I'll carry on with another browser. I think it proves that microsoft don't know what they are doing if they can break there own browser but all the others work fine. *Rolleyes

alanmlloyd, Oct 7, 2017
  15. You are very welcome, sorry i could not help resolve your problem.

FreeBooter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Edge not working after Creators Update

1. Edge not working after Creators Update - Similar Threads - Edge working Creators

2. Creators Update Broke Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Creators Update Broke Edge: All other browser work fine... but after the Creators Update Edge is behaving badly with intermittent problems. Main error is 'Hmmm... cannot reach this page' with 'The DNS server might be having problems. Error Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND' when Details is clicked....
  3. Edge non-responsive after Creators Update

in Browsers and Email
    Edge non-responsive after Creators Update: Edge is unresponsive after the Creators Update (opens to blank page, Home button won't work and can't even type anything in address bar). Most hamburger menu items on right work except New Window and Zoom and extensions lost. All previous settings like Home page, Save...
  4. AutoComplete not working in Edge Since Fall Creators Update?

in Browsers and Email
    AutoComplete not working in Edge Since Fall Creators Update?: Hello, I remember before the Fall Creators Update, Edge would autofill certain pages addresses that I visited before when I start typing a word of the subject that the page is discussing (thus not necessarily the address itself). This does not seem to work anymore...
  5. More Edge issues after Fall Creators Update

in Browsers and Email
    More Edge issues after Fall Creators Update: Sorry if I've posted in the wrong place, and thanks in advance for your help. computers are dell inspiron laptops, i7 processors, less than a year old, updated to fc. First a suggestion: is there a single thread for problems with major Windows updates, like the fall...
  6. Edge won't work after Creator

in Browsers and Email
    Edge won't work after Creator: Hi everyone, my very first post anywhere and I am desperate! Upgraded to Creator 3 weeks ago and Edge won't open since - click on it, opens, hangs then back to desktop. Have tried various options to repair but no joy. Now I also get funny message on start up - will try and...
  7. Creators Update, Edge, Facebook, memory leak?

in Browsers and Email
    Creators Update, Edge, Facebook, memory leak?: Hi Early adopter of Creators Update. I have found that after you have scrolled several pages on facebook in Edge memory use becomes very great, in fact it goes to about 70% of my 8gb and Edge becomes very slow to scroll or respond. I have sent a capture file via the...
  8. Creators Update - Edge cannot cast media

in Browsers and Email
    Creators Update - Edge cannot cast media: Since upgrading to the Creators Update version 1703, build 15063.13 Edge can no longer cast media to a device. The option is still there, but it just searches endlessly for a device without finding one. Even typing the name of the device into the Search box says 'it looks as...
  9. Simple Dnscrypt not working after Creator update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Simple Dnscrypt not working after Creator update: I usually use SDcrypt to bypass blocked site and even game. Its just working fine before, but right after i installed Creator update. SDcrypt no longer working. Any solution ? Thanks in advance 83042
  10. Sound icon doesn't work after creator update.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound icon doesn't work after creator update.: Nothing happens when I left click on the sound icon following the creator update. Right click gives a working menu. How can I get the left click volume control back? 82101