Windows 10: Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers in Windows How to Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers in Windows A mouse pointer or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers in Windows

How to Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers in Windows

A mouse pointer or cursor is a graphical image on the PC monitor or other display device. The pointer echoes movements of the pointing device, commonly a mouse, touchpad, or stylus pen, signals the point where actions of the user take place.

By default, users can use the Pointers tab in the Mouse Control Panel to add, remove, or change the mouse pointers.

If you like, you can prevent users on the PC from changing mouse pointers. When disabled, the Pointers tab will be removed from the Mouse Control Panel.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable changing mouse pointers for specific or all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable changing mouse pointers.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers for All Users using a REG file
    EXAMPLE: Changing mouse pointers enabled and disabled

Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers in Local Group Policy Editor

*note In Windows 7, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.
    1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, and Personalization. (See screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Personalization, double click/tap on the Prevent changing mouse pointers policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Changing Mouse Pointers
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Changing Mouse Pointers
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers for All Users using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization

NoChangingMousePointers DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Changing Mouse Pointers for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_changing_mouse_pointers.reg

Download

3. To Disable Changing Mouse Pointers for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_changing_mouse_pointers.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You could now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 8, 2018

2. Mouse Pointer

Hi,

You can customize your mouse in a variety of ways in Windows. To change how your mouse pointer looks, you can follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the Start menu, then click Control Panel.
    • Select Mouse, then go to the Pointers tab.
    • Select the pointer you prefer from the drop-down list, click
      Apply > OK.

If you want to use a pointer that is not on the list, you can download it online. After that, go to Control Panel > Mouse > Pointers tab again, then click
    Browse.

Update us if it addressed your issue.

Angela Pun, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Shawn Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers in Windows

Change Pointer Color

Hello pmw0813

Please follow these methods

Method 1

Change them in PC settings.

Step 1: Open PC settings.

Step 2: Choose Ease of Access to enter its settings.

Step 3: Click Mouse, and choose new pointer size and color in the options.

Method 2

Change Mouse Pointer size and color in Mouse Properties.

Step 1: Click the lower-right Start button, type mouse in the search box and select Mouse in the results to open Mouse Properties.

Step 2: Tap Pointers, click down arrow, choose a scheme from the list and select OK.

Method 3

Change size and color of Mouse Pointer in Control Panel.

Step 1: Open Control Panel.

Step 2: Enter Ease of Access.

Step 3: Tap Change how your mouse works.

Step 4: Choose new mouse pointer in the options provided, and tap OK.

I hope it helps

Pedro V Flores, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Mouse pointer gone

Very concerning indeed. As a first step I would want to know how you are magnifying your mouse pointer. I assume you are going to Settings, Ease of Access, Mouse, and from there you are changing the pointer size.

I followed these steps and I was able to make my mouse pointer larger. So I know it works for some PCs. Just not yours.

Normally I suggest updated mouse drivers but in your case you already tried a different mouse so I would go in a different direction to troubleshoot your issue. First I would clean boot your PC. See if that step resolves your issue.

Clean boot your PC

How to perform a clean boot in Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: The steps apply for Windows 10 as well.

The goal of this step is to see if some other software is running on your PC that conflicts with your mouse. If this step resolves the issue the goal is to try to find the software that is conflicting and disable it, remove it, or update it so it no longer
    conflicts. Don't forget to reverse the steps of the clean boot when you are done trying this step.

Jesse Kopavi MSFT, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Ian Ser Win User
    The Mouse Pointer (THE OLD ONE?)

Hi Amir,

Are you using an external mouse or the touch pad mouse? You can change the way how your mouse pointer looks by following these steps:

1. Press Windows key on your keyboard, type Change your mouse settings and select the search result.
    2. On the window that would appear, click Additional mouse options.
    3. On the Pointers tab, under Scheme, click
      Windows Default (system scheme)
      on the drop-down menu.

Let me know if there are improvements.

Ian Ser, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers in Windows

1. Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Changing

2. Mouse Pointer Won't Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse Pointer Won't Change: Hi there,My PC is fully up-to-date in regards to Windows 11 & mouse driver so it is not an issue related to things needing to be updated.I have never been able to change my pointer. When in mouse settings & selecting the pointer I am wanting it won't even change my actual...
  3. Mouse Pointer color change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse Pointer color change: Hi Team , While using magnifier , mouse pointer color is changing green to white when something trying to install . This issue started after the KB5011487 update . If magnifier is not opened and there is no issue while installing . Its something odd and this issue is over all...
  4. Mouse Pointer color change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mouse Pointer color change: Hi Team , While using magnifier , mouse pointer color is changing green to white when something trying to install . This issue started after the KB5011487 update . If magnifier is not opened and there is no issue while installing . Its something odd and this issue is over all...
  5. Mouse Pointer color change

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Changing Mouse Pointer Size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Mouse Pointer Size: Hello All: I Understand about % scaling of text and other things between multiple monitors. I have a 4k monitor, 2k one, and a 1080. You know what would be friggin awesome? A way to change the size of the mouse from 1 display to the other. So, that...
  7. Change the color of the mouse pointer

Change the color of the mouse pointer: I have made sure I have all the updates installed on my computer, as well as having Windows 10, however, I do not get the option to change the color of my mouse to purple or pink. What am I missing?...
  8. How to change mouse pointers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change mouse pointers: Hi, I have downloaded a mouse pointer pack that includes pointers that you get while hovering over text or when you are over something clickable. However, I can't seem to find a way to apply them all. I can just apply one of them as they become the standard mouse pointer, is...
  9. Allow option to enable/disable the "sticky corners" mouse pointer feature in Windows 10...

Allow option to enable/disable the "sticky corners" mouse pointer feature in Windows 10...: When moving the mouse/pointer over the top edges of the screen with multiple monitors, the pointer motion is interrupted/stuck on the corner. This is an intrusive feature non-existent in other OSs or prior versions of Windows. Any intrusive/non-standard functionality should...
  10. Change Mouse Pointers in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Mouse Pointers in Windows 10: How to: Change Mouse Pointers and Change Pointer Color and Size in Windows 10 How to Change Mouse Pointers and Change Pointer Color and Size in Windows 10 A mouse pointer or cursor is a graphical image on the PC monitor or other display device. The pointer echoes...