Windows 10: Endless Circle of dots during boot (in ancient terms, a form of Hang)

Discus and support Endless Circle of dots during boot (in ancient terms, a form of Hang) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Recently I did the 1903 upgrade on 4 Windows 10 machines, two laptops, and two desktops. It went smoothly on all of them. However, after that, two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LeslieEnerson, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Endless Circle of dots during boot (in ancient terms, a form of Hang)

Recently I did the 1903 upgrade on 4 Windows 10 machines, two laptops, and two desktops. It went smoothly on all of them. However, after that, two further upgrades became available:

KB4506991 2019-07 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64

KB4507453 2019-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64 based systems

These two installed in the normal fashion on both laptops, and one of the desktops, but on the other laptop, the fun began.

In the process of the normally required reboot, it occurred, the endless circle of dots, regularly redrawing with no progress being made. On the initial try, I let the ECOD (Endless Circle Of Dots) update for 30 minutes with no joy.

As it was necessary to have all 4 machines bootable, I searched for a method of mitigating those two updates, planning to follow up later. I found the Microsoft utility for hiding and 'unhiding' updates, and used it to temporarily hide those two updates on the machine where the trouble occurred. It performed perfectly, hiding the two updates, and the machine ran otherwise perfectly (along with the other three) for the reunion.

Now the week is over and it is time to get those updates on the 4th machine.

My initial theory was that there was a conflict between the two updates which was further aggravated by the only other difference between the offending machine and the other three. (The offending machine has an SSD (solid state disk) as a system (CEndless Circle of dots during boot (in ancient terms, a form of Hang) :) drive; none of the other three do.)

If I was correct, I should have been able to 'unhide' each update in turn and install each one individually, rather than trying to do them both at the same time.

First unhide, KB4506991. Then 'check for further update' showed KB4506991, and it dutifully started to install. After downloading and installing, I was advised that a restart was required (as is usual). Mentally crossing my fingers (it is very difficult to type with them crossed), I called for the reboot.

Aha! I thought as the system booted successfully, no ECOD. It must have been something about the potential interleaving between the two update processes even though it shouldn't occur.

So next, try the other update. should be a piece of cake, right?

Second unhide KB4507453. Then 'check for further update' showed KB4507453, and it dutifully started to download and install. 'Just about there' I thought. When advised that a reboot was required, I called for the reboot.

Guess what! Why am I here?

The dreaded ECOD occurs.

Machine particulars:

CPU Intel Core i7-3770k CPU @ 3.5 Ghz

Installed RAM 16 Gbytes

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 10 Home

Version 1903

installed 6/24/2019

OS build 18362.207

drives:

128 Gigabyte SSD

D and E: 500 Gigabyte Rotary

I can't retrieve the drive details here as I am running in Safe Mode with Networking, and parts of the OS aren't working (expectedly). This message is being generated on the offending machine. I have read many answers on the ECOD, but none under my particular circumstances. I will be fighting to get that update hidden while you my knowledgeable readers cogitate and bring forth pearls of wisdom which will enable me to make further progress.

Thanks for your time and attention.

:)

LeslieEnerson, Jul 17, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

3. Windows 10 - stuck on orange screen with white circling dots

This PC is not part of a domain, and I never get to a login screen; only the orange screen above.

Your linked instructions for Safe Mode are not useful in my situation, as they assume I can boot
    normally into the system and then set an option to boot to safe mode. There is a way to boot to safe mode without the ability to boot normally but it is well hidden and complex - I will detail it below for future readers of this thread.

Your suggestion regarding Clean Boot is also not applicable. The instructions show how to disable services and startup items for third party applications. However, as I stated in my original post, I Reset Windows 10 so there are no third party
    services or startup items. Never the less, I went through the steps and the results are the same - orange screen with white circling dots.

Finally, your suggestion regarding creating a new user account is again not applicable. I have multiple accounts on this PC. As I never am presented with a login screen, I cannot utilize any of them.

I await your next repair step…

For readers who are unable to boot normally and wish to boot to safe mode (only try this if you are technically advanced):

Mike-Kremer, Jul 17, 2019
  4. Endless Circle of dots during boot (in ancient terms, a form of Hang)

Stuck on the circling dots screen.

I am having the same problem, but it's not related to updates, at least not always. Every time I restart, it gets stuck on the circling dots screen. The dots keep circling for hours with nothing happening. I have to power down, then bring up the boot screen.
    Sometimes, I can restart normally from there, but more often I have to choose system restore, and sometimes that will actually go into a normal boot without actually offering me any restore points.

Someone suggested disabling "fast start", which I did, and that seemed to help for a few restarts, but now it's back to it's old freezing self.

Craig Faustus Buck, Jul 17, 2019
Thema:

Endless Circle of dots during boot (in ancient terms, a form of Hang)

1. Endless Circle of dots during boot (in ancient terms, a form of Hang) - Similar Threads - Endless Circle dots

2. Windows Hanging during boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Hanging during boot: Hello,I have an embedded Dell 3000 running Win 10 21H2 that just hangs occasionally while booting right after POST. I have tried a number of things to get this corrected but I am running out of luck and options. Does anyone have any other ideas?Here are the things I have...
  3. Windows Hanging during boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hanging during boot: Hello,I have an embedded Dell 3000 running Win 10 21H2 that just hangs occasionally while booting right after POST. I have tried a number of things to get this corrected but I am running out of luck and options. Does anyone have any other ideas?Here are the things I have...
  4. Windows Hanging during boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Stuck On Restarting With Dots Circling

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck On Restarting With Dots Circling: I bought a new laptop, but it was defective. So I decided to return the laptop since it had all of my information; I had to restart without backing my files. The percentage of the restart was fine. The problem is that the laptop screen has been stuck on restarting with the...
  6. Dots and lines forming on certain tabs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dots and lines forming on certain tabs: Hey, I have had this problem for quite a while. on certain apps, such as Microsoft teams meetings, Epic Games, or Wallpaper engine app on steam, many dots and lines are starting to form on the tab and make it hard to see, just like in the picture. I was wondering if anyone is...
  7. Circle dots just circling when bootable flash drive is plug in.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Circle dots just circling when bootable flash drive is plug in.: Hello I have a Acer Aspire ES 15 laptop. I am trying to reinstall windows 10 on it from a bootable flash drive but it's not letting me. When I have the bootable flash drive plug in, under the Acer explore beyond limits logo it is just showing a dot circle which is just...
  8. Black Screen with circling Dots

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black Screen with circling Dots: I have been having trouble with windows 10. One of the articles suggested to hold down the start button 3 times and start the PC 3 times. I did and the screen started going through stages of fixing. The Screen went black with the circling dots for the last 6 hours or so. I...
  9. Computer Hangs Up During Boot Up

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Hangs Up During Boot Up: Recently, my computer hangs up at the Windows Logo screen during boot up. I have to power off and then power back on. It usually boots up on the 2nd try. Any idea what's happening, and how to fix it? HPE-510t Intel Core i5-2500 CPU @ 3.3GHz 64-bit Win10 v 1709 build...
  10. W10 pretty blue screen with circling dots on boot up/restart

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 pretty blue screen with circling dots on boot up/restart: Lenovo Y500 laptop takes hours to boot but then appears to run normally. It's been doing this for quite a while, I just haven't taken the time to try to track down the culprit. This is my daughter's laptop. Came as a Win8 or Win8.1 laptop and took the free upgrade to W10...