Windows 10: Frozen before desktop

Discus and support Frozen before desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My 2 year old computer did a windows 10 update overnight and I woke up to a frozen computer. It is stuck right before the desktop. I cannot do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Randommadness, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Frozen before desktop

My 2 year old computer did a windows 10 update overnight and I woke up to a frozen computer. It is stuck right before the desktop. I cannot do anything. I've pressed the normal buttons one would press and Nada.
    Rebooted by way of the power button. Boots to the same screen before the desktop and freezes. I cannot get into startmenu to get to safe mode.
    Any suggestions? F8 and F11 are not working.

:)

Randommadness, Dec 16, 2015

2. Dual Monitor setup, main display is unresponsive/frozen.

So I have just encountered a problem with my main monitor freezing. On the frozen monitor, I can move my mouse cursor and can see it moving onscreen, but I cannot interact with anything on that screen, no clicks work regardless of if I am interacting with
    the desktop or a window above that desktop. If I use the keyboard controls, however, I can move the windows around. If I do the click drag, I also can drag across to the frozen desktop, but only if I start the click drag on the working desktop.

I have restarted the computer, restarted explorer.exe, changed which monitor is the main display and it's always the main display that is frozen. If I make my secondary monitor the main display, that is the monitor that frozen.

Any help? Thanks.

Meeesh11011, Dec 16, 2015
  3. my computer is running slow and freezes with Windows 10

Hello,

This problem just started this morning.

I have the ASUS - Desktop PC Model M32AD

It came with Windows 7 I upgraded about a month ago to Window 10.

Right now the computer is frozen for about 20 minutes - before that it was frozen for about 15 minutes when I did a hard shut down.

So I can't get the other info - and Windows Key + X doesn't do anything.

Should I do another hard shut down?

JoelMehrer, Dec 16, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Frozen before desktop

More info on this PC, Make and Model. Know if it has a UEFI BIOS ? Ever make a Windows 10 disc from downloaded ISO file ?
    Option # 1 https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...-download.html
    You can only boot from a disc with a UEFI BIOS

Advanced Startup Options https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

You can first try a System restore point before the update was installed if you have one.

Try Safe mode to see if you can enter it. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

jds63, Dec 16, 2015
  5. Asus cm1730 , unknown and lastly, no *Sad
    Thanks for responding

6. jds63 Win User
    Your Welcome. Looks to me this does have a UEFI BIOS. Are you able to download the ISO file from link and burn to a disc ?
    Suggest having this disc for future use. Pressing F8 on boot should bring you to the boot menu to be able to choose the optical (dvd drive) drive after the disc is inserted into this drive.

jds63, Dec 16, 2015
  7. Yes, i can download and burn to a disk from a link!

8. jds63 Win User

Frozen before desktop

Link is in my first post to you. Follow tutorial, first see if you have a restore point before the issue. When booting from the disc, press F8 right after the ASUS logo and from the Boot Menu select UEFI and your optical drive(DVD Drive) whichever drive letter it is ,e.g...UEFI D: DVD, UEFI E: DVD........

Usually ASUS Logo screen will state which to press to enter boot menu, manual said F8

jds63, Dec 16, 2015
  9. All is good and working now! Thanks so much for your help!!

Randommadness, Dec 18, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Your Welcome, what were you able to do to fix it ? System restore ?

jds63, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Frozen before desktop

1. Frozen before desktop - Similar Threads - Frozen before desktop

2. PC Desktop frozen and blacking out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Desktop frozen and blacking out: My work computer suddenly froze midday yesterday. Taskbar hidden. Cursor moves but nothing happens when I click on any desktop icon or right click on desktop. Monitor alternates black out every few second. Ironically, if I "switch user" and log in as my predecessor,...
  3. Windows frozen on desktop after log in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows frozen on desktop after log in: I can log on to windows fine, but is pretty much unusable after that. Here are some of the symptomsStart button/task bar unsuable. I just get a spining circle when I move my mouse over it.This includes the clock which freezes displays the time I turn on, might change every...
  4. Desktop frozen

Desktop frozen: When I Start Or Restart My Pc The Desktop Is Frozen, Cant Right Click Or Use The Taskbar But I can Move The Mouse Pointer Around The Screen. I Have Left The Pc For 5 minutes And An Hour In Case Something Was Working In The Background But Nothing. Only When I Press Ctrl Alt...
  5. desktop frozen and does not respond

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    desktop frozen and does not respond: desktop frozen and does not respond. how to resolve this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-frozen-and-does-not-respond/9fdb8fd7-1c8a-4820-88df-69df1b5f81fa
  6. desktop frozen and does not respond

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    desktop frozen and does not respond: my desktop with window 10 frozen and does not respond https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-frozen-and-does-not-respond/6e259c82-b0f1-4e62-b945-f555d0bcab0b
  7. Frozen build number on my desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Frozen build number on my desktop: Just look at it. I can't describe it and this problem has been there since version 1903 [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/frozen-build-number-on-my-desktop/81778190-5955-4135-82b3-bc748253e32f
  8. Desktop frozen, persistent

Desktop frozen, persistent: Hi, I'm using windows 10 on surface pro, and it has frozen on the desktop. I've tried restarting, and it does the same thing. I can't click on anything, and the cursor is showing the moving circle like its busy. Last time I was using it successfully it kept throwing up a...
  9. Frozen desktop

Frozen desktop: We have a Dell Alienware desktop that is frozen and unresponsive. We tried all the simple solutions from the internet up to resetting to a save point a week earlier which worked for about 5 minutes. Are there any suggestions before we get to reinstalling Windows? Thank you...
  10. BSOD - windows 10 frozen & no desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    BSOD - windows 10 frozen & no desktop: Sorry - see Forum BSOD. 39393