Windows 10: Hang at shutdown or restart - BSOD Driver_Power_State_Failure

Discus and support Hang at shutdown or restart - BSOD Driver_Power_State_Failure in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi All, I recently replaced my original HDD with a Samsung SSD 120GB, installed fresh Windows 10 Pro on my laptop and now, it cannot be shutdown or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by M150, Jun 3, 2016.

1. M150 Win User

Hang at shutdown or restart - BSOD Driver_Power_State_Failure

Hi All,

I recently replaced my original HDD with a Samsung SSD 120GB, installed fresh Windows 10 Pro on my laptop and now, it cannot be shutdown or restarted properly as before.

When I shutdown/restart the PC, the screen goes black but the power button light is still on and after 10 minutes or so, the BSOD appear with error message as DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.

I tried everything I found on the Internet regarding this error, such as disable Fast-Startup mode (actually I also disabled Hibernate), disable Intel Management Engine, update Display driver to the latest version but nothing works *Sad(

I struggled with this annoying problem in 4 days already and will highly appreciate all of your help. Thank you a lot.

:)

M150, Jun 3, 2016
  2. Mikeyx39 Win User

Windows Defender and Windows Update Not Working, Can't Re-register certain Windows Components, and more...

A BSOD greeted me when I turned it on this morning, with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. Although restarting made it work again, this is still rather worrying.

Mikeyx39, Jun 3, 2016
  3. BSOD - Restarting.

Hello,

Today I re-install the system already for the seventh time. Every time the PC restarts, it restarts a long time, and then BSOD - DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. You do not know what to do?

DanielHloušek, Jun 3, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi M150,

Welcome to the 10forums *Smile

Unfortunately there are no logs about BSODs, but could you please check your SSD for firmware updates *Smile

Please make sure your pc is configured for small dump files How to configure minidump | Windows 10 tutorial

axe0, Jun 3, 2016
  5. M150 Win User
    Thanks axe0 for your reply. About my SSD firmware, it's the latest one as below

Attachment 83235

It's weird that there's no logs as I already configured exactly the same as in tutorial *Sad I checked the C:\Windows and there's no minidump folder in there

Attachment 83237Attachment 83241
    Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this? Really frustrated and desperate right now *cry

M150, Jun 3, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    Please search "services.msc" (without quotes) and press enter, search 'Windows Error Reporting Service' and make sure the startup type is manual (right click > properties).

Hang at shutdown or restart - BSOD Driver_Power_State_Failure [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    System File Check
    Please try following:
    • Open an admin command prompt
    • Copy/paste "sfc/scannow" (without quotes) and press enter
    • When it finished reboot your system
    • Open again an admin command prompt
    • Enter sfc/scannow again
    If sfc/scannow says "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" after the second SFC, please upload the cbs.log file located at %systemroot%\Logs\CBS\, if the file is too large try a 3rd party uploader like dropbox, onedrive, google drive, mediafire etc.
    System File Check(SFC a.k.a. Windows Resource Protection) needs to have your system rebooted in order for sfc to try to fix the problems that it finds.
    Make a photo of SFC and post it.

axe0, Jun 3, 2016
  7. M150 Win User
    The service was set as Mannual Trigger. I will re-install Windows one more time with minimum driver to make sure everything is in original state. The laptop only reboot/shutdown normally when it's in Safe Mode, so I'm quite doubtful that this mainly because of the driver problem. Will keep you posted shortly.

M150, Jun 3, 2016
  8. M150 Win User

I re-installed Windows but still got the same problem (and still no dump file). The newest driver of Nvidia and Windows Auto Update were installed.

Attachment 83298

Sfc/scannow was performed 2 times and got the same error "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them". CBS files can be accessed via this link (CBS01 is 1st run, CBS02 is 2nd):

Thank you a lot for your help.

M150, Jun 3, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
    It is the opencl.dll issue.
    Please try following command in admin command prompt
    Code: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth[/quote] If there are problems with RestoreHealth, please follow step 6 or 7 (depending on the file you have from the download) from the tutorial DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Tutorial.

Could you modify the recovery settings and uncheck 'Automatically restart' in the system failure settings, then make a photo of the BSOD the next time it occurs and post the photo please.

axe0, Jun 3, 2016
  10. M150 Win User
    I followed step 6 in the tutorial and got this, then rebooted the laptop and still had BSOD (and no dump):
    bsod.jpg - Google Drive
    Attachment 83304
    Then I run sfc for the 3rd time and have this (detailed log file is in my shared folder above):
    Attachment 83305
    Please advise what I should do next *Smile Thanks much!

11. axe0 New Member
    Use the IMAGE HEALTH tool, download it and run as administrator.
    When you have opened it, choose option 3

EDIT: misread your post.

Lets try and force a crash using another method and hope it does create a dump.
    If it doesn't we'll need to check the memory and hard drive

Diagnostic Test
    DRIVER VERIFIER

Warning Please make a backup of your important files and get your rescue media or create one.
    Please create a restore point.
    Please follow this tutorial to run driver verifier.

Driver verifier stresses your drivers and will crash your pc if any driver fails due to a violation.

Driver verifier should be performed for a max of 48 hours, or when you have a bluescreen, whatever comes first.

If driver verifier has found a violation and you can't get back into windows normally, try to boot into safe mode and reset in safe mode driver verifier, or in the troubleshooting options open command prompt and type verifier /reset.

Note Your system will act very sluggishly while driver verifier is enabled, this is normal as your drivers will be being subjected to heavy testing in order to make them crash.

12. M150 Win User
    Already enabled Driver Verifier and still no crash *Shock Is there any way that I can give it more stress to fasten the process *Tongue

Updated: Gosh... just tried to restart the laptop and this is the 1st time that it can restart normally without any BSOD *Zip Anyway, I'll take a sleep and let it run the Memtest until next morning to see if there's any issue with the RAM or not. Good night!

13. M150 Win User

Run the memtest last night with 8 passes, so I think there's no problem with the RAM. Running Driver Verifier this whole afternooon but still no crash *cry Performed Windows reset as another tip on the Internet but no luck at all.

Suddenly, when I shutdown the laptop, the minidump file is there *Confused I don't know why there's no dump file when I restart it, but yes, I now finally have the dump file *Shock

Please help to troubleshoot with my latest log as in attachment. Thank you so much.

14. axe0 New Member
    The dump is isn't as helpful as I had hoped for, a quick analysis shows the HAL.dll.
    Code: ******************************************************************************* * * * Bugcheck Analysis * * * ******************************************************************************* Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information. BugCheck 9F, {3, ffffe0012d9f44f0, fffff80160e46990, ffffe001314ce8d0} Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE ) Followup: MachineOwner 0: kd> !irp ffffe001314ce8d0 Irp is active with 3 stacks 2 is current (= 0xffffe001314ce9e8) No Mdl: No System Buffer: Thread 00000000: Irp stack trace. cmd flg cl Device File Completion-Context [N/A(0), N/A(0)] 0 0 00000000 00000000 00000000-00000000 Args: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 >[IRP_MJ_POWER(16), IRP_MN_SET_POWER(2)] 0 e1 ffffe0012d8e49f0 00000000 fffff8015f615b44-ffffe00130e4e210 Success Error Cancel pending \Driver\ACPI nt!PopSystemIrpCompletion Args: 00015600 00000000 00000005 00000003 [N/A(0), N/A(0)] 0 0 00000000 00000000 00000000-ffffe00130e4e210 Args: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 0: kd> !devobj ffffe0012d8e49f0 Device object (ffffe0012d8e49f0) is for: InfoMask field not found for _OBJECT_HEADER at ffffe0012d8e49c0 \Driver\ACPI DriverObject ffffe0012dbaebd0 Current Irp 00000000 RefCount 0 Type 00000032 Flags 00000000 DevExt ffffe0012d8e3c70 DevObjExt ffffe0012d8e4b40 ExtensionFlags (0000000000) Characteristics (0000000000) AttachedTo (Lower) ffffe0012d9f44f0 \Driver\ACPI_HAL Device queue is not busy.[/quote] Please disable fast startup
    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Code: Event[426]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Boot Date: 2016-06-05T16:23:47.636 Event ID: 29 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-SNE5JDJ Description: Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC000007B.[/quote] If disabling fast startup doesn't help then you have hardware problems, though that would be slightly odd with the circumstance that only a crash occurs at shutdown however Samsung SSDs sometimes can be a bit problematic with the power transitions.

15. M150 Win User
    Thank you, but disabling fast startup doesn't help as I've already tried it at first place *Sad Besides, I can say it's super odd because I have no problem with shutdown/restart in safe mode :| Now, thing became worse as when I shutdown the laptop, it just stays there for a while, then BSOD, then automatically restart (with no dump). The last time that I got the dump file was when I shutdown... it stays for a while, then BSOD, then automatically turn off.

This forum is my last hope... so... what should I do now *Sad

Thema:

1. Hang at shutdown or restart - BSOD Driver_Power_State_Failure - Similar Threads - Hang shutdown restart

2. Shutdown DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shutdown DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE: Hello,This BSOD is quite common as I can check. I have this problem for quite some time, at first it happened when I was working with the PC suddenly, now "luckily" only when I turned off the PC. It's quite annoying.I have done everything that has been commented on in...
  3. Shutdown DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shutdown DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE: Hello,This BSOD is quite common as I can check. I have this problem for quite some time, at first it happened when I was working with the PC suddenly, now "luckily" only when I turned off the PC. It's quite annoying.I have done everything that has been commented on in...
  4. Shutdown DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. BSOD--Driver_power_state_failure on shutdown

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD--Driver_power_state_failure on shutdown: Good evening/morning/other appropriate timezone! My roommate and I have recently run into an issue where attempting to use a microphone through a USB mixer causes a BSOD when we attempt to restart the PC, or an attempt to shut down will cause the PC to reboot on its own...
  6. BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE on shutdown/restart and it shutting down for very long time...

BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE on shutdown/restart and it shutting down for very long time...: hi everyone i recently get bsod everytime i try to shut down/restart my windows. It's display DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE i managed to locate and analyze the minidump in C:\Windows\minidump with WinDbg, but i dont understand the results of what cause the bsod or something....
  7. BSOD on shutdown and restarts

BSOD on shutdown and restarts: I keep getting BSOD when my computer restarts or shutdowns. It will say "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" on the BSOD. I have double checked system files to make sure none are corrupted and also tested my memory on the memory diagnostic tool and it passed without any issues....
  8. Windows hangs on shutdown/restart

Windows hangs on shutdown/restart: I just built a new PC. Upgraded my Windows license because my free upgrade to Windows 10 was from a Windows 7 OEM, Installed the mobo drivers (as best I could, see below), installed GPU drivers, etc. Issues: 1) Whenever I try and shut down, the system hangs on the blue...
  9. BSOD on shutdown DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

BSOD on shutdown DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE: Hi, I just reinstalled my windows OS and I am getting a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD after about 5 minutes of being stuck on the shutdown screen. I have attached the required .zip file here Attachment 148388 Thanks 91087
  10. BSOD, shutdown and restart

BSOD, shutdown and restart: For a while, if I left my computer on 24/7 every day or so I'd get a 1 second buzzing sound of corrupted audio followed by a BOSD saying various things like: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, or sometimes DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, or KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED. Since I heard...