Windows 10: Help setting up Hyper-V to test Windows Server 2016

Discus and support Help setting up Hyper-V to test Windows Server 2016 in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there @ I can't answer your specific questions on HYPER-V but I know all about "Breaking Netflix" - even the Dog starts barking madly. !!!! I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by DZ10, Apr 5, 2018.

1. DZ10 Win User

Help setting up Hyper-V to test Windows Server 2016

Thanks for the advice jimbo *Smile

I only currently have one Ethernet port on my Desktop at the moment and a lack of physical test machines to play around with, but I suppose I could use my main two other machines once I know how things setup and work with Server 2016.

I'm going to give the Hyper-V setup a go first (within a couple of days or so) and I'll report back with how it goes. Hopefully I have some success with getting them to talk to each other on their own virtual switch in Hyper-V and report back with what settings I used *Smile

Thanks again.

DZ10, Apr 5, 2018
  2. DZ10 Win User

Hi,

I need a bit of help setting up a virtual environment, so I can try out Windows Server 2016. I'm quite new to Windows Server in general, but I'd like to get to know it better and start learning about its major features etc. I'd like to set up a virtual environment in Hyper-V but I could do with a bit of advice with setting it up please.

I'd like to test Windows Server 2016 out in Hyper-V along with having say a couple of VM's with Windows 10 Pro on so that they can connect to the Server so I can try out things like Active Directory, Group Policy etc.

What I was concerned about though is the Windows Server interfering with my home network. I would ideally like to have both Windows Server 2016 and the client VM's on their own virtual network in Hyper-V, away from my physical home network. So to summarize:

• All Virtual Machines to be in Hyper-V (Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 Pro clients)
    • The Server and Pro clients need to talk to each other and ideally have Internet access
    • I'd like to use Hyper-V rather than VirtualBox etc. Not that I dislike VirtualBox and the like, it's just that I'd like to get used to using and knowing the features of Hyper-V
    • Hyper-V is already installed on my physical Windows 10 Pro Desktop PC
    • This Windows 10 Pro Desktop PC is currently connected to my normal home network and has Internet access
    The main thing I am unsure of is the networking side. I'd like the Server and client VM's to not have full access to my home network, so they can't interfere with it. So is it possible for the VM's to talk to each other, have Internet access, but not be able to interfere or be seen by other physical machines on my home network?

I hope I've explained it correctly. I have had a look myself into this, I was thinking of maybe using an 'Internal' virtual switch in Hyper-V, which sounds like it may do the job of letting the VM's talk to each other and possibly getting Internet connection from the physical machine that Hyper-V is installed on. I'm not sure if this is the way to go though, so I thought I'd ask for some advice before setting it up in Hyper-V.

Thanks *Smile

:)

DZ10, Apr 9, 2018
  3. Why is Hyper-V-Manager consuming so much bandwidth?

Hello Jennifer,

Thank you for your support.

The setup is quite simple:

• The Hyper-V Server is a Root-Server in the Internet (not in a domain). It is only managed by myself (whatever that means Help setting up Hyper-V to test Windows Server 2016 :) )
    • The server is a "Hyper-V Server 2016" (see e.g. Microsoft Evaluation Center)
    • My Notebook connect's via Server Manager (This connection uses 8 kBit/se or less on average)
    • When I open Hyper-V (via the Server Manager) it uses 500kBit/s permanently, without even connecting to a VM. Just listing the VMs on the server.

Michael

wallenstein0961, Apr 9, 2018
  4. PMCmikem Win User

Windows 10 Hyper-V PCI Passthrough

Does anyone know if you can pass a PCI device from the Host machine to a VM? I am using Windows 10 Hyper-V. I am trying to pass a PCI device to a windows 10 VM. Is this possible through the built-in Hyper-V manager in Windows 10. I read somewhere where
    Hyper-V in Server 2016 has a Discrete Device Assignment that allows this, but couldn't find anything on Windows 10 Hyper-V.

PMCmikem, Apr 9, 2018
  5. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Apr 9, 2018
  6. Kari Win User
  7. DZ10 Win User
    Thanks essenbe *Smile I hadn't noticed that there were Hyper-V ones on this site, I should have had a search through the Tutorial Index in more detail. I've had a good look through that tutorial you mentioned, very helpful indeed.

Thanks Kari, in fact I had already read the Windows Server 2016 - Setup Local Domain Controller Windows 10 Tutorials tutorial and I bookmarked it as it will be the guide I use for when I setup Server 2016 for the first time in a VM *Biggrin It's a great tutorial and will be very helpful, thank you.

So, could you or anybody else let me know if I have this correct please. After reading your tutorial on switches, I do think that the 'Internal' switch which (and let me know if I'm wrong!) should allow me to have internet access (if I share share my connection from the PC running Hyper-V), but because it's an Internal switch, not External, the VM's should be able to see each other but not the devices on my home network. Shall I give this a go? I'm only a bit hesitant because I've heard about DNS conflicts etc. if you just plonk a Server on a home network along with my ISP's router etc. I don't exactly want my family losing connection whilst in the middle of viewing stuff on Netflix *Wink

Thanks.

DZ10, Apr 9, 2018
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    @DZ10

I can't answer your specific questions on HYPER-V but I know all about "Breaking Netflix" - even the Dog starts barking madly. !!!!

I don't think there's any major problem to having a server on a home LAN (I have 2 Linux servers on a LAN plus a whole slew of other stuff).

The best way I've found (from bitter experience - with almost a dogbite or two !! ) is to use a network switch and if you have more than one Ethernet port on your server create in a different subnet and don't grant shares etc from the server until it's all working.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Help setting up Hyper-V to test Windows Server 2016 - Similar Threads - Help setting Hyper

2. Hyper V Dedicated Network Traffic for Hyper V Replication between two Hyper V Server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper V Dedicated Network Traffic for Hyper V Replication between two Hyper V Server: Hi AllI have a problem on the Hyper V of replication traffic. I search many KB or the articles in the internet and there are no official information on how to isolate the Hyper V replication traffic Does it anyone know how to configure it for the Hyper V Server 2012R2 and...
  3. Can I test Malware on Hyper V

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can I test Malware on Hyper V: Hi my name is Rounak and I want to safely test malware on a virtual machine . I have already tried hypervisor 2 virtual machine but now I want to test malware on hyper V Hypervisor 1 VM because I want to download some applications which would not run on hypervisor 2 but can...
  4. Windows server 2016 Hyper V internet connection switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows server 2016 Hyper V internet connection switch: Hi, I am setting a virtual machine under Hyper-V. I have been setting up Hyper-V virtual machines but on a desktop computer and everything ran perfectly, network too. It is my first time working on a hosted server. The host is a Dell Poweredge C6100 server, Intel...
  5. Help with Hyper V

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with Hyper V: I am having a problem booting linux machines on hyper v. I created a virtual machine of mint linux and it runs fine but all additional VM's that I create will not boot up. They start to boot then just hang. What am I doing wrong?
  6. Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016: I am having trouble moving a VM from windows 10 to Server 2016. I have updated Win 10 to 20H2 and applied all available windows updates. I created a VM on Win 10, exported it, and then copied to a server 2016 computer with Hyper-V installed but it does not present as...
  7. Hyper-V and Windows Server 2012 R2/ and 2016

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V and Windows Server 2012 R2/ and 2016: Have this weird problem recently. Can't access some sites in Windows Server 2012R2 and Server 2016 VM, on Hyper-V, via the Default Switch(NAT). And the sites it can access, like google.com and facebook.com , are taking time to load. This issue is only with these two...
  8. HLK Test fails for Windows Server 2016

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HLK Test fails for Windows Server 2016: Hi All, We are running the HLK test on Windows Server 2016. For all the driver's oplock test is getting failed. Some drivers are not changed and the test was passed for those drivers previously. But now with the same HLK setup the test is getting failed for those drivers...
  9. HYPER-V Server 2016 - cant connect to server from Windows 10 remote

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    HYPER-V Server 2016 - cant connect to server from Windows 10 remote: funny thing is I can create the VM now on the HYPER-V server but PING still fails !!!! Not really funny. Ping response is disabled by default on firewall of all server SKUs and that is a fairly sensible thing to do if you think about it. You can enable it with netsh...
  10. Minimal Virtual PC for Hyper-V for Network testing

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Minimal Virtual PC for Hyper-V for Network testing: Does anybody know of a minimal virtual "pc" that can be installed in Hyper-V for network testing (pinging)? I have seen them used in environments like GNS3, but I can't find one that installs in Hyper-V. I just need a VM that provides a CMD or Powershell that has the...
Tags: