Windows 10: Remove Windows 10 PC from a Domain

Discus and support Remove Windows 10 PC from a Domain in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Remove Windows 10 PC from a Domain How to Remove a Windows 10 PC from a Local Active Directory Domain A network based on a Domain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Remove Windows 10 PC from a Domain

How to: Remove Windows 10 PC from a Domain

How to Remove a Windows 10 PC from a Local Active Directory Domain

A network based on a Domain provides centralized administration of the entire network from a single computer which is called a server. A Domain provides single user login from any computer connected to that network within the network perimeter. Users are allowed (or restricted) to access resources depending upon the permissions they have.

If your Windows 10 PC is joined to a domain, you can remove the PC from the domain if needed.

This tutorial will show you how to remove a Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education PC from a local Active Directory Domain in Windows 10.

You must be signed in to an administrator account on your Windows 10 PC to leave a domain.

Contents
    • Option One: To Remove PC from a Domain in Settings
    • Option Two: To Remove PC from Domain in System Properties

OPTION ONE [/i] To Remove PC from a Domain in Settings
    1 Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

2 Click/tap on Access work or school on the left side, click/tap on the connected AD domain (ex: "TEN") you want to remove this PC from, and click/tap on the Disconnect button. (see screenshot below)

Remove Windows 10 PC from a Domain [​IMG]

3 Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

4 Click/tap on Disconnect. (see screenshot below)

If this PC has BitLocker installed and running, make sure you save a copy of the BitLocker recovery key somewhere other than this PC first.

How to Backup BitLocker Recovery Key for Drive in Windows 10

5 Click/tap on Restart now. After restarting, your PC won't be joined to the domain (ex: "ten.forums") anymore. (see screenshot below)

Your PC will now be a member of the default WORKGROUP name. If you like, you can change its workgroup.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Remove PC from Domain in System Properties
    1 Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the System icon.

2 Click/tap on either the Advanced system settings link on the left side or the Change settings link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3 Click/tap on the Change button in the Computer Name tab. (see screenshot below)

4 Select (dot) Workgroup, type the workgroup name (ex: "BRINKGROUP") you want to be a member of after leaving the domain, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5 Click/tap on OK to confirm. (see screenshot below)

6 Type the user name and password of an administrator account from this PC (not domain), and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

7 Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

8 Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

This does not restart the computer yet.

9 Click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

10 Click/tap on Restart Now. After restarting, your PC won't be joined to the domain (ex: "ten.forums") anymore. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 12, 2017
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  3. changari Win User
    Raising the windows domain and forest issues?

hi,

I run a domain that was all 2003 r2 servers. I recently upgraded all my domain controllers to windows 2012 r2.
    That went off without any problems.. Our trust relationships had no issues also.

My first step was to raise the Domain and Forest levels past 2003 to 2008. This went off without a hitch.
    These are the features for raising the levels to 2008:

• Features and benefits include all default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2003 domain functional level, plus:
    • Read-Only Domain Controllers – Allows implementation of domain controllers that only host read-only copy of NTDS database.
    • Advanced Encryption Services – (AES 128 and 256) support for the Kerberos protocol.
    • Distributed File System Replication (DFSR) – Allows SYSVOL to replicate using DFSR instead of older File Replication Service (FRS). It provides more robust and detailed replication of SYSVOL contents.

Forest Level Windows Server 2008

• Features and benefits include all of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, but no additional features. All domains that are subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level by default.

My next step is to raise the domain and forest to 2008 r2, then 2012, and finally 2012 r2. I have been trying to find out exactly what I could expect from raising the Domain and Forest for each step.

The step involving 2008 r2 seems relatively a non issue. But getting the couple of new features seem very nice

Domain Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level, plus 2 new features

Forest Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, plus the following features:

• Active Directory Recycle Bin, which provides the ability to restore deleted objects in their entirety while AD DS is running. <== New Feature very cool
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 R2 domain functional level by default.

Here is my big concerns for the next raising of domain and forest to 2012.

Forest Level Windows Server 2012:

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2008 R2 forest functional level, but no additional features.
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2012 domain functional level by default.

Domain Level Windows Server 2012 R2: <=====
    Need to investigate more and why this post

• DC-side protections for Protected Users. Protected Users authenticating to a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain can no longer:

• Authenticate with NTLM authentication <==============(what issues may arise)
    • Use DES or RC4 cipher suites in Kerberos pre-authentication
    • Be delegated with unconstrained or constrained delegation
    • Renew user tickets (TGTs) beyond the initial 4-hour lifetime

Will this affect my exchange anywhere users with remote access authenticating either clear of NTLM???
    and what would/may not to work properly day 1 when I raise the domain and forest to 2012. I cant really find anyone that can answer a straight question.

Has anyone gone through this? what problems did you have, if any , if a lot???

Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated??

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

One more point... I am not sure if I posted this to the correct forum.. So if I was wrong and it should be in a different one..
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW

changari, Oct 26, 2019
  4. puma99dk| Win User

Reinstalling Windows 10 to sell a PC - is the 'Remove everything' option enough?

Restore factory settings do list Removes your personal files, apps and settings, and reinstalls the version of Windows that came on this PC.

So if this isn't true well than just erase the drive and install a clean Windows 10 with all the drivers u need but why should it be true
    @FordGT90Concept ? *Laugh :laugh:

puma99dk|, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Brink Win User
    Join Windows 10 PC to a Domain  

@rseiler,

I just finished clean installing Windows 10 Enterprise build 17093 in a VM using a local account, and it still has the same steps in the tutorial for me.

Is your PC already joined to a domain?

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  6. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Remove Windows 10 PC from a Domain - Similar Threads - Remove Domain

2. After removing from the domain not getting other user option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After removing from the domain not getting other user option: ABCDef https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-removing-from-the-domain-not-getting-other/6791b8f8-5106-4c4a-9778-e1d32bde953f
  3. After removing from the domain not getting other user option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After removing from the domain not getting other user option: ABCDef https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-removing-from-the-domain-not-getting-other/6791b8f8-5106-4c4a-9778-e1d32bde953f
  4. After removing from the domain not getting other user option

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to remove domain on computer? windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove domain on computer? windows 7: bought a thinkcentre edge71 1577 at a carboot, but it uses a domain i don't know the passsword to. i can't do the recovery things because of the domain lock. helpplease!...
  6. How to remove domain on computer? windows 7

How to remove domain on computer? windows 7: bought a thinkcentre edge71 1577 at a carboot, but it uses a domain i don't know the passsword to. i can't do the recovery things because of the domain lock. helpplease!...
  7. How to remove windows 7 PC from a domain ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove windows 7 PC from a domain ?: How to remove a PC from a domain and join a workgroup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-windows-7-pc-from-a-domain/04c41cfe-e1dd-4b69-b331-53b7703176ff
  8. How to remove windows 7 PC from a domain ?

How to remove windows 7 PC from a domain ?: How to remove a PC from a domain and join a workgroup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-windows-7-pc-from-a-domain/04c41cfe-e1dd-4b69-b331-53b7703176ff
  9. Remove windows defender globally from all servers in domain

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove windows defender globally from all servers in domain: What would be the best, fastest , most efficient way to remove Windows Defender from all servers on my domain? I have been trying to use a scripted PS solution that will query the DC to determine the OS of each server, and if the server is 2016 or newer to check if Defender...
  10. Remove windows defender globally from all servers in domain

Remove windows defender globally from all servers in domain: What would be the best, fastest , most efficient way to remove Windows Defender from all servers on my domain? I have been trying to use a scripted PS solution that will query the DC to determine the OS of each server, and if the server is 2016 or newer to check if Defender...