Windows 10: Home network, leave one PC on 24/7 to leave network share available?

Discus and support Home network, leave one PC on 24/7 to leave network share available? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. New user, first post! Imagine I have a typical home network - modem, router, a desktop PC and a couple of laptops. The desktop is Win10, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sevenateten, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Home network, leave one PC on 24/7 to leave network share available?

Hello. New user, first post!

Imagine I have a typical home network - modem, router, a desktop PC and a couple of laptops. The desktop is Win10, the laptops are Win8.

The PC has some files on its hard drive that the two laptops want to access semi-regularly.

Is this not exactly what networking was designed for? I would leave the PC on and connected to the network, share the applicable folder, and the laptops can access the files whenever they want.

I have been told no, no, this is a terrible idea, you must set up a NAS. But to me this seems like the very purpose of Windows networking.

Would this board be kind enough to educate me one way or the other?

Thanks.

:)

sevenateten, Jun 29, 2019
  2. Skofab Win User

Join/Leave Network

I have 1809 installed on 4 computers.
    I needed to rejoin network on one of them - so went to network and sharing - only to find that the previous option to join a network or leave a network (together with password details had disappeared). Checked the other three, and they to had no options shown.
    Have I missed something obvious here? OR have I gone to the wrong source to find these options?
    Your comments appreciated.

Skofab, Jun 29, 2019
  3. Help needed with simple wired network

Step one- Connect all PC's to router, and then the router to the modem. PC's go to router by the ports labeled "1-4" on the back of the router. WAN port goes to router. Power up all network equipment, and then systems.
    Step two- Power on the computer connected to port one. Go into router settings at 192.168.0.1 and configure internet, dyndns, firewall, etc.
    Step three- Go to "network set up wizard" in windows. (Network places- network set up wizard). The rest is self explanatory.
    Step four- right click on each drive and printer you want to share, and then configure sharing preferences. Should be easy enough.
    Step five- right click my computer, and the select "map network drive". Using the network address for each piece of hardware you shared, assign network drive letters.

Congratulations, you have a fully operational network. Happy Gaming! *Toast :toast:

zekrahminator, Jun 29, 2019
  4. Bree Win User

Home network, leave one PC on 24/7 to leave network share available?

Join/Leave Network

Joining a 'network' by means of supplying a password is how Homegroup worked. Homegroup was removed from Windows 10 starting with version 1803. Is this what you were looking for? If so, it's no longer there.

Home network, leave one PC on 24/7 to leave network share available? [​IMG]

Join Homegroup in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

What you should use instead is a Workgroup.

Change Workgroup in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

Thema:

Home network, leave one PC on 24/7 to leave network share available?

1. Home network, leave one PC on 24/7 to leave network share available? - Similar Threads - Home network leave

2. One drive leaves no choice.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One drive leaves no choice.: One drive leaves no choice. I downloaded some photos and they automatically went to One Drive..no choice.Then not accessible to Lightroom. How can I delete one drive from my computer?...
  3. One drive leaves no choice.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One drive leaves no choice.: One drive leaves no choice. I downloaded some photos and they automatically went to One Drive..no choice.Then not accessible to Lightroom. How can I delete one drive from my computer?...
  4. Home network file sharing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Home network file sharing: I just got a new computer super fast lots of memory Windows 11 latest updates.I have 4 other computers running windows 10 on a wireless network but I can't get the new computer to recognize these.The other 4 communicate with each other OK.What's different about the Win 11...
  5. Is it bad to leave my laptop running 24/7?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it bad to leave my laptop running 24/7?: So, I wanted to host my own Minecraft server but I can't afford a service like Google Cloud, Apex Hosting, Shockbyte, etc. And when I found out about Ngrok, I was like "Sweet, now the only obstacle in my way is that I would need to keep my laptop running 24/7". But.... I'm...
  6. Do I need to leave my PC on to be able to write to a Network Shared Folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Do I need to leave my PC on to be able to write to a Network Shared Folder?: I have a Network Share connected to my motion sensor camera. It’s meant to write and store footage in the share, on my local drive D: However, I was wondering if I have to continually leave my computer on so that the camera can write to that shared folder? Thanks for...
  7. sharing folders on home network

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    sharing folders on home network: After update, I can no longer access shared folders on my wife's laptop from my laptop over our home network. How may I turn this on again please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-folders-on-home-network/56cc4ace-5759-47cb-b514-9c86e98307d9"
  8. Home group/network sharing

Home group/network sharing: I have a Desktop with Windows 7 and a Laptop with Windows 10. At an earlier date I was able to share files with both by turning on Home Group on Windows 7 and sharing folders in Network Sharing on my Laptop. I have since had to reinstall my Windows 10 on my Laptop; and...
  9. Join/Leave Network

Join/Leave Network: I have 1809 installed on 4 computers. I needed to rejoin network on one of them - so went to network and sharing - only to find that the previous option to join a network or leave a network (together with password details had disappeared). Checked the other three, and they to...
  10. W7 and W10 networking/sharing on home network

W7 and W10 networking/sharing on home network: Unfortunately my laptop had to be rolled back to W7 due to driver issues after the version 1803 update. Now I cannot get my home networking sharing working. I can see both computers but get "you do not have permission to access>>>>" warning on both pc when trying to access...