Windows 10: Join Homegroup in Windows 10

Discus and support Join Homegroup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Join Homegroup in Windows 10 [img] Information A Homegroup makes it easy to share pictures, music, documents, videos, and printers with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Cliff S New Member

Join Homegroup in Windows 10

How to: Join Homegroup in Windows 10

Join Homegroup in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information A Homegroup makes it easy to share pictures, music, documents, videos, and printers with other Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computers on your local home network. You can also stream media to devices.

When a PC homegroup password, which you can get from the PC that created the homegroup or any PC already joined to the homegroup.

When a PC joins a homegroup, all user accounts (except guest account) on the PC become members of the homegroup. Each user on the PC will always be able to choose what libraries and devices to share with the homegroup.

This tutorial will show you how to join a homegroup in Windows 10 to share files and printers with other Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 computers on your home network.

Note Homegroup Notes and Requirements:
    • You will need at least two computers running Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and/or Windows 10 on your home network to set up a homegroup.
    • Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, and Windows RT PCs cannot create a homegroup. They are only able to join a homegroup.
    • If you are already part of a homegroup on a separate network, you must leave that homegroup to join another homegroup.
    • You can join computers to a homegroup whether they connect by using wired and wireless networking.
    • If your PC is joined to a domain, you can join a homegroup but you cannot create a homegroup. You can access files and resources on other homegroup PCs, but you cannot share your own files and resources with the homegroup.
    • All homegroup PCs must be date.
    • Each homegroup PC muse have a different computer name than the other homegroup PCs.
    • All homegroup PCs must be members of the same workgroup.
    • All homegroup PCs must be set to use a private (aka: home) network location.
    • All homegroup PCs must have network discovery turned on for the private network profile.
    • All homegroup PCs must have file and printer sharing turned on for the private network profile.
    • All homegroup PCs must have the services below enabled and running.
      • DNS Client
      • Function Discovery Provider Host
      • Function Discovery Resource Publication
      • HomeGroup Listener
      • HomeGroup Provider
      • Network List Service
      • Peer Networking Grouping
      • Server
      • SSDP Discovery
      • UPnP Device Host
    • All homegroup PCs must have the items below turned on in the network connection properties of their network adapter. (see screenshot below)
    Warning Starting with Windows 10 build 17063, the HomeGroup service is no longer operational in Windows 10. The user profile used for sharing and the file/folder/printer shares will continue to work.

Here are recommended alternatives to HomeGroup for you to get the best file-sharing experience in Windows 10 going forward:
    • File Storage:
      • OneDrive is a cloud-first, cross-device storage and collaboration platform for all of the pieces of data that matter most in your life – like your files, your photos, your videos, and more.
      • OneDrive Files On-Demand takes cloud file storage a step further, allowing you to access all your files in the cloud without having to download them and use storage space on your device.
    • Share Functionality: For those who prefer not to use the Cloud to connect their devices, the Share functionality for folders and printers allows you to see the available devices and connect them to and from other PCs on your home network.
    • Easier Connection: No more remembering cryptic HomeGroup passwords in order to connect to another PC. You can now simply connect through your Microsoft Account email address across devices.

Here's How:

1. Make sure at least one PC that has created the homegroup or already joined to the homegroup is turned on and awake for you to be able to join the homegroup.

2. Do step 3 or step 4 below for how you would like to open the Create a Homegroup wizard.

3. Open File Explorer, click/tap on Homegroup in the navigation pane, click/tap on Join now (button) or Join homegroup (ribbon), and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

Note If you don't see the Join now button, there might not be a homegroup available. Make sure that someone has created a homegroup first. Or you can choose to create a homegroup yourself.

4. Open the step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

Note If you don't see the Join now button, there might not be a homegroup available. Make sure that someone has created a homegroup first. Or you can choose to create a homegroup yourself.

5. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

6. Set permissions to either Shared or Not shared for the files and devices you want to share from your account, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

7. Type the homegroup password, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Note If you had ever previously joined this homegroup and left it, then you will not be prompted to enter the homegroup password unless the password has been changed after leaving the homegroup.

8. You have joined the homegroup. Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cliff S, Aug 11, 2017

2. Win 10 homegroup option only shows create a homegroup, with no option for joining a homegroup...

Windows 10 homegroup option only shows create a homegroup, with no option for joining an existing windows 10 homegroup. Am I missing something? (There is no joining option of any kind)

AlvinOMitchell, Aug 11, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Aug 11, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome Cliff. I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, Aug 12, 2017
Thema:

1. Join Homegroup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Join Homegroup

2. Joining a Homegroup with Win 10 V 20H2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Joining a Homegroup with Win 10 V 20H2: Purchased new computer and I need to get into and existing Homegroup. Actually got a hold of Microsoft and the told me updating to v20H2 would correct the issue about joining. Well spent all afternoon with them and updating and you guessed it. I still cannot join an...
  3. How do I join a windows 7 homegroup from a windows 10 computer?

How do I join a windows 7 homegroup from a windows 10 computer?: I am trying to network a new computer windows 10 into main computer which is operating windows 7. There is a HOMEGROUP established on the main computer Windows 7. How do I go about doing this? Thanks!...
  4. Cannot join homegroup on Windows 10

Cannot join homegroup on Windows 10: I have a new Windows 10 computer, and I'm trying to join the existing homegroup in my home (which currently includes Windows 8 laptop and Windows 7 desktop), but to no avail. I tried to follow the instructions written by Shawn Brink in this forum: Open File Explorer,...
  5. Windows 10: How to join an existing Windows 7 Homegroup

Windows 10: How to join an existing Windows 7 Homegroup: I'm sure this has come up dozens of times but every time I search for an answer, the advice simply says "just use the Homegroup utility" that came with Windows 10. That's all well and good but now that Microsoft has seen fit to delete the Homegroup wizard/utility in the...
  6. Joining a HomeGroup

Joining a HomeGroup: I have been trying to join 2 laptops to a HomeGroup set up and there is no option showing to join. There are several guides that I've seen and all show options that do not appear on either laptop I'm trying to join with. Supposedly ther is a HomeGroup option within the...
  7. About Homegroup Joining/creating Option

About Homegroup Joining/creating Option: hi ! I created homegroup from windows 7 , and wanted to join from windows 10 home , but I could not see any option of Homegroup to join or create in Windows 10 , but Pc in the Network was visible and opened too. But shared folder could not be opened. The shared Printer...
  8. Joining homegroup. My PC updated now can access Homegroup how to i fix this??

in Windows 10 Customization
    Joining homegroup. My PC updated now can access Homegroup how to i fix this??: Joining homegroup. My PC updated now can access Homegroup how to i fix this?? Can access shared printer or Files any more....
  9. Not able to join HOMEGROUP on Windows10 Pro

Not able to join HOMEGROUP on Windows10 Pro: Hi All, I have 2 Dell Alienware PC's. Both are running on Windows10Pro 64 BIT. One is a laptop and the other one is a Desktop. Both systems areconnected to the same and only network and not any domain whatsoever. The problem is, when I try to create a Homegroup on...
  10. Homegroup issue: I have one laptop which cannot join (or leave)!

Homegroup issue: I have one laptop which cannot join (or leave)!: Folks, I'm in need of an assist. I have 5 computers working nicely with one another on my homegroup. None of that matters since my wife's laptop is the one which doesn't work with the homegroup. I've read every tutorial and tried every step that I could find, to no...