Windows 10: How Can I Keep My Local Windows Password When Signing Up Computer for MS Account?

Discus and support How Can I Keep My Local Windows Password When Signing Up Computer for MS Account? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm trying to add a Windows 10 laptop to my Microsoft account. In the process of doing so, they want my Windows password and state that in the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by M A Weiss, Jan 16, 2019.

1. M A Weiss Win User

How Can I Keep My Local Windows Password When Signing Up Computer for MS Account?

I'm trying to add a Windows 10 laptop to my Microsoft account.

In the process of doing so, they want my Windows password and state that in the future, I'll log into Windows using my Microsoft account password.

I don't want to change my Windows password. In fact, I'd rather have my machines boot into Windows with 'AutoAdminLogon' as I do in Windows 7. Failing that on Windows 10, I keep a simple password that I can remember and type quickly. I don't want to replace that with the long and complex secure password I use for the MS account.

Is that even possible?

:)

M A Weiss, Jan 16, 2019
  2. Yaqub K Win User

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Jan 16, 2019
  3. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Jan 16, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

How Can I Keep My Local Windows Password When Signing Up Computer for MS Account?

Creating a MS account without losing Local account

Go to https://account.microsoft.com, click Create account and fill the form:

How Can I Keep My Local Windows Password When Signing Up Computer for MS Account? [​IMG]

With a Microsoft account you can then use OneDrive and Office Online apps for free. You can also use built-in native Windows apps which require a Microsoft account like Mail, Skype Preview, People, Calendar and download apps from Windows Store.

See steps 3 to 5 in this tutorial to continue using local account as Windows sign-in account even when / if you download apps from store and / or use Windows apps requiring a Microsoft account, to avoid Windows user account converting to Microsoft account: Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

Other tutorials you might be interested in when you have created a Microsoft account:

Thema:

1. How Can I Keep My Local Windows Password When Signing Up Computer for MS Account? - Similar Threads - Keep Local Password

2. How can I reset the password of my local account from the sign in screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I reset the password of my local account from the sign in screen?: •Windows 11 on a laptop•The local account is the administrator•The local account is the only account on my deviceThe reset link on the sign in screen only works if I have a flashdrive formated to reset my local account. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of flash drive...
  3. How can I reset the password of my local account from the sign in screen?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I reset the password of my local account from the sign in screen?: •Windows 11 on a laptop•The local account is the administrator•The local account is the only account on my deviceThe reset link on the sign in screen only works if I have a flashdrive formated to reset my local account. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of flash drive...
  4. how can I reset password for a window local account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can I reset password for a window local account?: how can I reset password for a window local account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-reset-password-for-a-window-local/94b3204c-1822-419f-81b9-4d99ba1ff559
  5. how can I reset password for a window local account?

how can I reset password for a window local account?: how can I reset password for a window local account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-reset-password-for-a-window-local/94b3204c-1822-419f-81b9-4d99ba1ff559
  6. How can I sign in to my computer when my PIN and password are not working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I sign in to my computer when my PIN and password are not working?: Hello there, I'm having a big problem related to being able to sign in to my laptop. A few days ago, when I opened up my laptop and tried to sign in, I was given the message 'something went wrong and your PIN isn't available code 0xd000a002. Click to set up your PIN again.' I...
  7. How can I sign in to my computer when my PIN and password are not working?

How can I sign in to my computer when my PIN and password are not working?: Hello there, I'm having a big problem related to being able to sign in to my laptop. A few days ago, when I opened up my laptop and tried to sign in, I was given the message 'something went wrong and your PIN isn't available code 0xd000a002. Click to set up your PIN again.' I...
  8. Blank Password screen when signing in to MS Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Blank Password screen when signing in to MS Account: When working in any Office app Excel, Word, Visio, etc.., a window will appear asking me to sign into my MS account. I assume that this request when the app attempts to auto-save to Onedrive. After I enter my email for my MS account and click NEXT that window disappears and...
  9. How can I sign into Windows when I disabled admin and my local account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How can I sign into Windows when I disabled admin and my local account: Hello, recently I tried to do something, but it didn’t register my local user because I had a space in it. Because of this, I decided to change my local user using regedit, computer management, and administrator user. After I did this, I used net user Administrator /active:no...
  10. Can I sign in with a Microsoft account and keep my local account?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can I sign in with a Microsoft account and keep my local account?: Or will it at least let me merge the two/keep my settings and files from my local account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-sign-in-with-a-microsoft-account-and-keep-my/5303135f-073a-4f4d-91ed-5f4deb347fd2