Windows 10: How can I prevent automatic updates?

Discus and support How can I prevent automatic updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; To prevent automatic download & installation of Windows Updates, including new builds such as the FCU do the following: 1) Download Windows Update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by stonefly, Dec 12, 2016.

1. How can I prevent automatic updates?

To prevent automatic download & installation of Windows Updates, including new builds such as the FCU do the following:

1) Download Windows Update MiniTool
    2) Go into user interface, on the left hand side you will see 'Automatic Updates', change from 'automatically' to 'Notification mode'

After doing the above, whenever there are updates, you will get a toaster notification that there are updates to install. When you go into Windows Updates, it will show you the updates available to install & you can click 'install now' If there is one you don't want to install, run the MiniTool & check for updates. When the one that you don't want to install appears in the list, put a check mark beside it & click on the option to hide it. Then, if you go back and re-run Windows Update, that update will not appear again.

AthanasianCreed, Nov 4, 2017
  2. cmcole101 Win User

Thanks TairikuOkami and muchomurka for these great work-arounds / fixes. I'll give each a run to see if it stops my system from doing its own thing and let y'all know the outcome. *Smile

Best regards!

cmcole101, Nov 4, 2017
  3. Hi. Doing this will will turn off automatic updates on your PC. Just go to start menu>type 'services'>look for a service called 'windows update' and double click on it>if it's already running stop it and put its startup type to 'disabled'.

gamer254rb, Nov 6, 2017
  4. Clint Win User

How can I prevent automatic updates?

I have a set monthly price for internet. If I change to a metered connection, will I be charged more?

Clint, Nov 6, 2017
  5. Barman58 Win User
    The only reason for this option is to prevent Updates from using up your limited internet access when it is not convenient to you, it will not change the contract you have with your ISP,

Also eventually if the updates are not downloaded then your system could become unsupported, so it is in your interest to find some alternate way to download updates With a laptop this could be an occasional visit to a Free unlimited wi-fi store/library/school Etc

Barman58, Nov 6, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Setting a metered connection just changes how Windows uses your connection and reduces the amount of data you'll download. Your ISP will just see you using less data, that's all.

A metered connection stops background processes using your bandwidth, such as Spotlight which won't download new pictures over a metered connection. Also, windows update will not automatically download most updates. Instead, when you check for updates it will say there are updates available, but won't download them unless you click its 'Download' button.

It's now your choice when to download, if you're near your data cap you could choose to wait until the next month to get your updates. Or find another free WiFi connection to get them now.

How can I prevent automatic updates? [​IMG]

7. Clint Win User
    I just want MS to stop installing updates that I don't want. It keeps installing video driver over my manufacture driver.

Clint, Nov 6, 2017
  8. How can I prevent automatic updates?

Runnerbean, Nov 7, 2017
  9. Clint Win User
    Clint, Nov 7, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
  11. cmcole101 Win User
    Well, guys, it appears the work-arounds have done the job!! My system hasn't checked for updates, nor installed any from our update servers (which means my registery hasn't been overwritten), since implementing them. This is more than 6 weeks!! YEA!!

Thanks, again!!

Happy Holidays to all, and may each of you have a very joyful and prosperous new year ahead.

cmcole101, Dec 26, 2017
  12. ozkatz Win User
    Can you spell out what you've finally done on your system exactly from all the tips you've received here to stop the updates?

ozkatz, Dec 31, 2017
  13. How can I prevent automatic updates?

this worked month ago, but not anymore *Huh windows is still pushing drivers updates i dont want, and it does not matter how many times i disable that stupid service. Nothing is working and windows is completely ignoring that i NEED APPROVED drivers from MANUFACTURER otherwise my OS is bricked with blackscreen and BSOD problems until I reinstall it again. This problem lasts for around week and half and I must reinstall those drivers every day again and again, because Im not able to stop those stupid updates.
    I would like to know that too.

RulerKelso, Dec 31, 2017
  14. I've noticed to that even though in 10 Home you are supposed to be able to stop automatic updates of windows store apps
    it is STILL automatically installing and updating completely useless games like Candy Crush and Disney Adventures.
    I booted up today and noticed on my 768/128k connection that my browser was not even loading pages. I went to
    the Windows Store and looked at downloads and updates..and sure enough there they were downloading and updating
    MS is really killing themselves with this nonsense! I have the MS store auto updates clearly turned OFF but obviously the system is IGNORING that selection.

One thing I did notice is that when you select the "metered connection" choice it DOES turn off updates from what I can tell...
    but it even turns off Windows Defender automatic updates too! I thought that the OS was still supposed to download
    critical updates like defender....but it's not in metered mode. Not a big deal (I can manually update) but still an annoyance.

I just upgraded to 10 from 7 and while the basic product is quite good the nuisances are almost totally unbearable.
    Bill Gates needs to rejoin the board and start forcing the company to listen once again to customers!

legacy7955, Jan 1, 2018
  15. I use Home Edition, where such automatic installation and updates have NEVER happened.

I use VBScript scheduled to update definitions at 6-hour intervals.

I have long since wiped out the nuisances.

Phone him up. Perhaps he will listen to you.

Matthew Wai, Jan 1, 2018
Thema:

How can I prevent automatic updates?

1. How can I prevent automatic updates? - Similar Threads - prevent automatic updates

2. How can I find/prevent automatic computer restart?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I find/prevent automatic computer restart?: Hello I recently joined the IT department as a technician, I have laptops HP ProBook 455 G7 that automatically restart during use and close all applications. I use Windows 11 Pro version 22H2.I've even disabled automatic restart on system error in settings but it still hasn't...
  3. How can I find/prevent automatic computer restart?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I find/prevent automatic computer restart?: Hello I recently joined the IT department as a technician, I have laptops HP ProBook 455 G7 that automatically restart during use and close all applications. I use Windows 11 Pro version 22H2.I've even disabled automatic restart on system error in settings but it still hasn't...
  4. How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?: amd error when windows update driver https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-prevent-automatic-updating-a-specific/5dec9048-21cb-43c1-b9ad-ea5fc3485f6b
  5. How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?: amd error when windows update driver https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-prevent-automatic-updating-a-specific/5dec9048-21cb-43c1-b9ad-ea5fc3485f6b
  6. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  7. How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 10 Home?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 10 Home?: Hello to everybody, I have Realtek 8822CE wireless adapter installed in my Lenovo IdeaPad Laptop running Windows 10 Home, build 10.0.19042. I'm not able to connect to my home WiFi network with two latest versions of Realtek drivers 2024.0.8.129 of 04.11.2020 is the latest...
  8. How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?: Yesterday a window popped up giving me only two choices, now or in one hour. There was no option to stop it altogether. First of all, I had no proof that it wasn't malware. And while I'd stepped away from my desk, it automatically started the upgrade which forced me to sit...
  9. How can I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing feature updates but still...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing feature updates but still...: I'm planning to install the first version of Windows 10 on my PC because the later versions use more RAM even if there is no apps are open. Now don't lecture me on features that I am missing and security features because I know what I am doing. I just need to prevent Windows...
  10. how to prevent automatic windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to prevent automatic windows update: I wish to check what the windows update does and only install ones I want. There are too many that I do not need. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-automatic-windows-update/55cf74a6-0ead-460c-8dc7-71a6e3ac95cb