Windows 10: How do disable search history in file explorer?

Discus and support How do disable search history in file explorer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I was wondering how do I completely disable the search history in the search box in file explorer? I found this guide, but this is for erasing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by windows8thumba, Jul 8, 2017.

1. How do disable search history in file explorer?

windows8thumba, Jul 8, 2017

2. Windows 10 File History Error

When in File History, after selecting the backup drive, clicking the "Turn on" button results in the following error message:

File History

Could not enable File History

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no

enabled devices associated with it.

Closing the error message window leaves the File History turned off.

How do I Turn on File History?

Regards Gordon

HappyAngler, Jul 8, 2017
  3. Microsoft Edge on Windows Phone - search suggestions.

Hello,

How do I turn off search suggestions (when typing in the URL bar) based on browsing history in Microsoft Edge on Windows Phone?

I have been able to disable suggestions from my search engine, but unable to stop my phone suggesting pages which I have already visited. It seems that to stop my phone from displaying my history every time I make a search, I will have to either use InPrivate
    browsing all the time, or delete my history every time I make a search. I want to retain my history, but stop my phone from "suggesting" it to me. Is there a way to do this?

Note that I am referring to my phone's history suggestions, not the 'show search and site suggestions as I type'
    option, which I have already disabled through settings.

Thanks.

Stanley Law, Jul 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

How do disable search history in file explorer?

You can easily find out how to do that with a web search.
    How To Disable Windows Search in Windows 7, 8 and 10

Why would you wish to? There are effectively no performance impacts on a normally running system.

Note that indexed search is used in (e.g.)
    - file explorer's search box
    - Settings search
    - by Cortana (very limited value!)

Granted, free 3rd party programs provide much faster search features.

dalchina, Jul 8, 2017
  5. Thanks for the reply. Sorry I wasn't being clear. I meant I just need to disable search HISTORY. I still want to have the search box. In Windows 8 there is a way so there's no auto-fill or suggestion or history when you type in the search box. My old Windows 10 was like that, but then it was upgraded from Windows 8.

In essence I still want search, but I'm looking for a way so Windows 10 doesn't record any recent search history.

windows8thumba, Jul 11, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    I suspect that's not possible without a hack. It's not clear where file explorer search history is stored- presumably in the registry.

Cortana does have some history related settings (gear icon, scroll down) which you can disable.

Those are two quite different things, of course.

dalchina, Jul 11, 2017
  7. Eagle51 Win User
    Eagle51, Jul 11, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

It also cleans out the past history list of items.

Berton, Jul 11, 2017
  9. windows8thumba, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do disable search history in file explorer? - Similar Threads - disable search history

2. file explorer search history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer search history: Since the last cumulative update I think both Win11 computers I have no longer have the search history popping up in the search boxes for any file explorer window. every time I'm moving from folder to folder to look for something I have to retype the search term and it's a...
  3. file explorer search history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer search history: Since the last cumulative update I think both Win11 computers I have no longer have the search history popping up in the search boxes for any file explorer window. every time I'm moving from folder to folder to look for something I have to retype the search term and it's a...
  4. File explorer search history and program logs

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer search history and program logs: Dear all When I use Search in File Explorer, Windows stores / logs the search history. 1. Is there a place in Windows, where I can see timestamp / when I have made a search in file explorer? 2. Is there a place in Windows, where I can see when I have opened a program, for...
  5. File explorer search history and program logs

in Windows 10 Customization
    File explorer search history and program logs: Dear all When I use Search in File Explorer, Windows stores / logs the search history.1.Is there a place in Windows, where I can see when I have made a search in file explorer?2.Is there a place in Windows, where I can see when I have opened a program, for example Google...
  6. File Explorer search history

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer search history: In any Windows 10 File Explorer window, a search bar can be found under the ribbon to the right side. When placing the cursor in this field, a drop down list appears of all previous searches. It can become quite long over time. I've been unable to find how that archived...
  7. How do I clear the Search History in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I clear the Search History in File Explorer?: How do I clear the Search "history" in File Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-clear-the-search-history-in-file-explorer/b4ff9c91-f943-4683-b936-df61dab5ecb4"
  8. Win 10 File Explorer Search History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 File Explorer Search History: I had a number of search windows open when File Explorer crashed. I would like to recover all of the search strings from "Search History" but the Recent Searches dropdown list only has a few of them. How can I access the full list? Thanks....
  9. File explorer search history is not clearing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File explorer search history is not clearing: Hi I have gone through all the steps in the following thread, but my file search history is not clearing or updating. Search terms clear, but the old search reappears with deleted files on it. Search History in File Explorer - Clear in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums...
  10. Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer: How to: Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer How to Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer [img] Information By default, the search box in File Explorer will show a list of suggestions as you type in the search box. These...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How do i stop Windows Phone sharing search history