Windows 10: Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer

Discus and support Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer How to Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer

How to: Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer

How to Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer

Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer [​IMG]
    Information By default, the search box in File Explorer will show a list of suggestions as you type in the search box. These suggestions are the history of your past typed searches into the search box.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable search history for File Explorer Search Box suggestions for specific or all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable File Explorer search history.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Search History in File Explorer using Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Search History in File Explorer using a BAT file

EXAMPLE: Search history in File Explorer

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Search History in File Explorer using Local Group Policy Editor

Note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.

1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and File Explorer. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of File Explorer, double click/tap on Turn off display of recent search entries in the File Explorer search box to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Search History in File Explorer
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Search History in File Explorer
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Search History in File Explorer using a BAT file

Note The .bat files below will modify the DWORD value below in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

DisableSearchBoxSuggestions DWORD

<delete> = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Search History in File Explorer for All Users
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_File_Explorer_Search_History.bat

Download

3. To Disable Search History in File Explorer for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_File_Explorer_Search_History.bat

Download
    4. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

5. Unblock the .bat file.

6. Right click or press and hold on the downloaded .bat file, and click/tap on Run as administrator.

7. Click/tap on Yes if prompted by (UAC).

8. You will now notice your screen flicker as a command prompt quickly opens and closes and restarts explorer to apply the registry changes.

9. You can now delete the downloaded .bat file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 21, 2017

2. How do disable search history in file explorer?

Hello, I was wondering how do I completely disable the search history in the search box in file explorer? I found this guide, but this is for erasing only. Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

I want to completely disable the search function. Windows 8 had this option: Search Suggestions in File Explorer - Enable or Disable in Windows 8 but it didn't work for Windows 10.

Thank you!

windows8thumba, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Eagle51 Win User
    Eagle51, Oct 26, 2019
  4. acomic Win User

acomic, Oct 26, 2019
  5. windows8thumba, Oct 26, 2019
  6. How do disable search history in file explorer?

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I wasn't being clear. I meant I just need to disable search HISTORY. I still want to have the search box. In Windows 8 there is a way so there's no auto-fill or suggestion or history when you type in the search box. My old Windows 10 was like that, but then it was upgraded from Windows 8.

In essence I still want search, but I'm looking for a way so Windows 10 doesn't record any recent search history.

windows8thumba, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Search

2. file explorer search history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer search history: Since the last cumulative update I think both Win11 computers I have no longer have the search history popping up in the search boxes for any file explorer window. every time I'm moving from folder to folder to look for something I have to retype the search term and it's a...
  3. file explorer search history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer search history: Since the last cumulative update I think both Win11 computers I have no longer have the search history popping up in the search boxes for any file explorer window. every time I'm moving from folder to folder to look for something I have to retype the search term and it's a...
  4. File Explorer search history

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer search history: In any Windows 10 File Explorer window, a search bar can be found under the ribbon to the right side. When placing the cursor in this field, a drop down list appears of all previous searches. It can become quite long over time. I've been unable to find how that archived...
  5. Win 10 File Explorer Search History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 File Explorer Search History: I had a number of search windows open when File Explorer crashed. I would like to recover all of the search strings from "Search History" but the Recent Searches dropdown list only has a few of them. How can I access the full list? Thanks....
  6. File explorer search history is not clearing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File explorer search history is not clearing: Hi I have gone through all the steps in the following thread, but my file search history is not clearing or updating. Search terms clear, but the old search reappears with deleted files on it. Search History in File Explorer - Clear in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums...
  7. Enable or Disable Clipboard History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Clipboard History in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Clipboard History in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Clipboard History in Windows 10 Copy paste its something we all do, probably multiple times a day. But what do you do if you need to copy the same few things again and again? How do you...
  8. Clear Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer: How to: Clear Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer How to Clear File Explorer Search History in Windows 10 The search box in File Explorer will show a list of suggestions as you type in the search box. These suggestions are the history of your past typed searches...
  9. Enable or Disable File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable File History in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a schedule to a location you select...
  10. How do disable search history in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do disable search history in file explorer?: Hello, I was wondering how do I completely disable the search history in the search box in file explorer? I found this guide, but this is for erasing only. Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials I want to completely disable the search...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disable file explorer search history

2. enable windows search history on explorer in windows 10

3. how to enble search in explorer

4. enable search in file explorer