Windows 10: How do I restore a deleted file encryption key on Windows 10?

Discus and support How do I restore a deleted file encryption key on Windows 10? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I deleted my file encryption key from User Certificates in the Control Panel. I understand that Windows does not delete the private key and that User... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by louwhendre, Oct 11, 2017.

1. How do I restore a deleted file encryption key on Windows 10?

I deleted my file encryption key from User Certificates in the Control Panel. I understand that Windows does not delete the private key and that User Certificates only deletes the key from the registry. How can I recover my deleted key?

:)

louwhendre, Oct 11, 2017

2. Cant decrypt my files on my external drive from another computer, Lost my certificate key while changing computers.

My inquiry wasn't concerning the effectiveness of BitLocker / Windows encryption. Obviously, it works.

There is a serious flaw in the restore protocol.

I have the encryption key, the files, and the exact same computer. Same IP address. Same everything. The only thing that changed was the re-installation of Windows. Should not Windows know how to handle restoring encrypted files when all security criteria
    is met?

TrinketToes, Oct 11, 2017
  3. Can I recover encrypted files with EFS without having key.pfx file ?

Today I installed Windows 10 on my machine

Then I delete all the old files of the old Windows

After that I surprised that some very important files

Encrypted on the old Windows

Now I can not access any old Windows files to get the encryption key

what can I do

please help

Encrypted files mean life or death to me

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Michael Azzar, Oct 11, 2017
  4. Gordon7 Win User

How do I restore a deleted file encryption key on Windows 10?

Hey and welcome to TenForums, have you tried to look in your Recycle Bin on your desktop?

Open the Recycle Bin and see if it's there. If it is, right-click on it and choose Restore.

Normal operation of Windows is to "delete" everything to the Recycle Bin, as a safety precaution.

Gordon7, Oct 11, 2017
  5. I did, the key is not in the recycle bin.

louwhendre, Oct 11, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
  7. Gordon7 Win User
    First try to set these settings in File Explorer's Folder Option:

How do I restore a deleted file encryption key on Windows 10? [​IMG]

Follow step 1 to 5 - open Folder Options > set "Show Hidden Files" and Un-tick "Hide protected system files"

remember to click the "Apply" & "OK" after this is don. Then go and look again in your Recycle Bin!

If you still do not find the delete file (maybe a reg. file) there, - then if you have your System Restore activated, you can
    use that to go back to a Restore point, just before you made the wrong delete of that key.
    If you deleted the key today, then use a restore point from yesterday or what comes close to that.

Here is a tutorial that show you how to make System Restore to an earlier point in time - use Option 2 only:

System Restore Windows 10

Gordon7, Oct 11, 2017
  8. How do I restore a deleted file encryption key on Windows 10?

I have tried changing the Folder Options to show hidden files and protected file. However nothing new in the Recycle Bin.

louwhendre, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How do I restore a deleted file encryption key on Windows 10?

1. How do I restore a deleted file encryption key on Windows 10? - Similar Threads - restore deleted file

2. How do I access encrypted File?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I access encrypted File?: I recently did a factory reset of my PC. Before i did that, i moved an encrypted file to a thumb drive. I have a new user account and PC name and cannot access the encrypted file on the thumb drive. I do not recall how I encrypted the file, but chances are it was encrypted...
  3. How do I access encrypted File?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I access encrypted File?: I recently did a factory reset of my PC. Before i did that, i moved an encrypted file to a thumb drive. I have a new user account and PC name and cannot access the encrypted file on the thumb drive. I do not recall how I encrypted the file, but chances are it was encrypted...
  4. how to restore a deleted file in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to restore a deleted file in windows 10: I accidently deleted files from think or swim platform, is there a way to restore them again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-a-deleted-file-in-windows-10/6c50bac5-b178-4430-bcfe-d639b99f7d3a
  5. how to restore a deleted file in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to restore a deleted file in windows 10: I accidently deleted files from think or swim platform, is there a way to restore them again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-a-deleted-file-in-windows-10/6c50bac5-b178-4430-bcfe-d639b99f7d3a
  6. how to restore a deleted file in windows 10

7. How do I recover an encrypted deleted partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I recover an encrypted deleted partition?: I hope I'll get a possible solution here.I mistakenly deleted my D:\ partition.Part0 : UEFI partition.Part1 : System reserved.Part2: 90 GB C:\Part3: 140GB D:\ Bitlocker encrypted but is automatically unlocked on boot since I use it as my users folderPart4: Recovery...
  8. How do I recover an encrypted deleted partition?

How do I recover an encrypted deleted partition?: I hope I'll get a possible solution here.I mistakenly deleted my D:\ partition.Part0 : UEFI partition.Part1 : System reserved.Part2: 90 GB C:\Part3: 140GB D:\ Bitlocker encrypted but is automatically unlocked on boot since I use it as my users folderPart4: Recovery...
  9. How to Restore Deleted Files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Restore Deleted Files?: I transferred photos and videos from my iPhone to a newly created folder iPhone Pics 6 on my laptop. Then by mistake, I pressed some keys maybe ctrl + z, then the iPhone Pics 6 folder disappeared. I tried to undo what I did, then in a flash a window opened saying 1770 files...
  10. How to restore encrypted files by the ransomware virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to restore encrypted files by the ransomware virus: Hi everybody, my computer has infected the ransomware virus that the files on the hard disk are all encrypted, encrypted file names are added 795256hz extension, such as abc.pdf file, the encrypted file became abc.pdf.795256hz. This virus will be placed a file...