Windows 10: How do I separate my Microsoft account from my Windows 10 Account?

Discus and support How do I separate my Microsoft account from my Windows 10 Account? in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have accidentally added my daughter's Microsoft account to my Wife's Windows 10 account when I built her PC. Now when she logs into Windows it is as... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by CyberKnight13, Dec 3, 2019.

1. How do I separate my Microsoft account from my Windows 10 Account?

I have accidentally added my daughter's Microsoft account to my Wife's Windows 10 account when I built her PC. Now when she logs into Windows it is as our daughter. I want to separate the two accounts but everything I've tried has not helped. The option for logging in with a local account is not showing up and I do not want to delete her profile and rebuild it if possible. What are my options? Thank you!

Sincerely,

Christopher

:)

CyberKnight13, Dec 3, 2019
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown How do I separate my Microsoft account from my Windows 10 Account? :(

Zakin, Dec 3, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Dec 3, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

How do I separate my Microsoft account from my Windows 10 Account?

Change Microsoft Account Details in Administrator Account

Hi Daryl, welcome to the Ten Forums.

It's quite easy in fact, simply switch the account in question first to a local account, then switch back to a Microsoft account, this time using your wife's MS account credentials.

Tutorials:
    Notice that before doing this you need to remove the new additional MS account on the PC, the one you created with her credentials. Windows allows only one user account for each email address, if the new account exists you cannot switch the original administrator account to an MS account using the same email address. Tutorial: User Account - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Kari, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

How do I separate my Microsoft account from my Windows 10 Account?

1. How do I separate my Microsoft account from my Windows 10 Account? - Similar Threads - separate Microsoft account

2. how do i separate the account from my device?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i separate the account from my device?: I've had multiple school accounts that have been associated with my device. an old school account is still associated with my device and it it prompting me to log into that account....
  3. how do i separate the account from my device?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i separate the account from my device?: I've had multiple school accounts that have been associated with my device. an old school account is still associated with my device and it it prompting me to log into that account....
  4. How do I unlink a separate Microsoft account from Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I unlink a separate Microsoft account from Windows 11?: So I was trying to use the Nearby sharing feature, when all of a sudden a "Sign in" was needed. However, the sign in email address is nothing alike to my actual email address.This email address does belong to me as I made it as a burner email due to issues trying to figure...
  5. How do I unlink a separate Microsoft account from Windows 11?

How do I unlink a separate Microsoft account from Windows 11?: So I was trying to use the Nearby sharing feature, when all of a sudden a "Sign in" was needed. However, the sign in email address is nothing alike to my actual email address.This email address does belong to me as I made it as a burner email due to issues trying to figure...
  6. How do I restore separate Microsoft accounts ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I restore separate Microsoft accounts ?: My husband and I have always maintained our own Favorites on our 2 computers.I recently purchase a new laptop, with Windows 11. He is still using his desktop PC with Windows 10. Suddenly, our Favorites have merged. I'm seeing his Favorites all mixed in with mine, and he's...
  7. How do I restore separate Microsoft accounts ?

How do I restore separate Microsoft accounts ?: My husband and I have always maintained our own Favorites on our 2 computers.I recently purchase a new laptop, with Windows 11. He is still using his desktop PC with Windows 10. Suddenly, our Favorites have merged. I'm seeing his Favorites all mixed in with mine, and he's...
  8. Cannot separate Microsoft account from my local PC account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot separate Microsoft account from my local PC account: My brother recently used his Microsoft account on my PC, which until then only had a local account. I wanted to remove it earlier, but there was no option to do so. I've so far come to understand that this Microsoft account is now tied to my local account and I cannot remove...
  9. How do I unlink my Microsoft account from my Windows 10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I unlink my Microsoft account from my Windows 10?: So, I recently linked my Microsoft account to my Windows 10. That did a lot of stuff I didn't like. I now want to know how to unlink my Microsoft account from my Windows 10 account. Help?...
  10. How do I unlink my local account from a Microsoft account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I unlink my local account from a Microsoft account?: Hello, I have what appears to be a common problem, as far as I can see, from searching about this issue but also one without a good resolution. I have a Windows 10 laptop. I am a local administrator and up until yesterday, there was no Microsoft account associated with...