Windows 10: How do I turn off Task View and restore original desktop?

Discus and support How do I turn off Task View and restore original desktop? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Greetings all, A game recently crashed on my laptop, and, in attempting to close it, I seem to have somehow turned on Task View. The crash required... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Newbi, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Newbi Win User

How do I turn off Task View and restore original desktop?

Greetings all,

A game recently crashed on my laptop, and, in attempting to close it, I seem to have somehow turned on Task View. The crash required a restart. Now my desktop is devoid of folders and icons, the Task View button is on the task bar, and only the Start menu comes up. I can revert to desktop using the Start menu, but it is devoid of icons and reverts to Start each time I click the desktop screen. I can create virtual desktops, but still no folders and icons. My desktop folder still contains most of the folders and icons, but I see no way to restore them to the desktop.

At any rate, the virtual desktop thing is not for me. How can I disable this and restore my original desktop, with icons, and without Task View?

Thanks in advance for any help!

:)

Newbi, Jan 7, 2017
  2. ASmith25 Win User

Turning off Task View

It will not let me get a screen shot. Every time I try the screen switches to a black screen with just a background. I found an online photo that resembles what I see at other times though.

How do I turn off Task View and restore original desktop? [​IMG]

This photo above (from the internet) shows what I see where my desktop once was. Unfortunately that handy dandy "desktop" button is not on mine, as in this photo (this looks like the screen view on my Surface). These apps used to be in my start menu, now
    it has taken over my desktop. I was able to get a screen shot of my task bar, but it won't let me copy and paste it into the box. This is so frustrating! I have also found a desktop option, but when I click on it it goes to the screen with the apps. I
    know the desktop is still there somewhere because when I go to "this PC" there is still a desktop file with all the icons I used to have on it. I hope this helps because I am not sure what else to do.

ASmith25, Jan 7, 2017
  3. ASmith25 Win User
    Turning off Task View

Dell laptop.

ASmith25, Jan 7, 2017
  4. How do I turn off Task View and restore original desktop?

MoxieMomma, Jan 7, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 7, 2017
  6. Hi:

LOL.
    Excellent point.
    That's why @Brink gets paid the big bucks.*Smile

(I use neither Tablet Mode nor Task View, so I know not about that which I speak.*chuckle)

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jan 7, 2017
  7. Newbi Win User
    That was it! Thank you very much for both the help and the prompt response.

Newbi, Jan 8, 2017
  8. Newbi Win User

Yes, it was in tablet mode. Thanks for the help, though! I very much appreciate it.

Newbi, Jan 8, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. I'm glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I turn off Task View and restore original desktop? - Similar Threads - turn off Task

2. How do I restore original defaults?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I restore original defaults?: how to restore back to original defaults? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-restore-original-defaults/99f83279-3e43-4da3-8594-d350933fd50d
  3. How do I restore original defaults?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I restore original defaults?: how to restore back to original defaults? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-restore-original-defaults/99f83279-3e43-4da3-8594-d350933fd50d
  4. I can't restore Desktop to it's Original Location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't restore Desktop to it's Original Location: Hi!,I moved my Desktop to my D drive but didn't make a new folder named desktop. Now desktop is mixed with other folders/content of my d drive. I wanted to restore it to its original location which is in the local C drive but it fails and I receive this: "The Folder can't be...
  5. I can't restore Desktop to it's Original Location

I can't restore Desktop to it's Original Location: Hi!,I moved my Desktop to my D drive but didn't make a new folder named desktop. Now desktop is mixed with other folders/content of my d drive. I wanted to restore it to its original location which is in the local C drive but it fails and I receive this: "The Folder can't be...
  6. How do I reorganize virtual desktops in task view?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reorganize virtual desktops in task view?: I saw a number of articles around the web discussing how it's possible to reorganize move virtual desktops in task view like this one, or this one, or this one. These appear to be for a Windows insider build released back in march of 2021. It's now a year later. Have these...
  7. How do I reorganize virtual desktops in task view?

How do I reorganize virtual desktops in task view?: I saw a number of articles around the web discussing how it's possible to reorganize move virtual desktops in task view like this one, or this one, or this one. These appear to be for a Windows insider build released back in march of 2021. It's now a year later. Have these...
  8. How do I reorganize virtual desktops in task view?

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Restoring Tasks in Multiple Desktop views

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restoring Tasks in Multiple Desktop views: I am using several Desktop views when working on several programs and activities. For example, may have a desktop open with MATLAB applications, another with Arduino apps, and so on. When I power down, all of the current work files and sessions are lost. How can I restore...
  10. Turn On or Off Hover to Select Desktops in Task View in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Hover to Select Desktops in Task View in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Hover to Select Desktops in Task View in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Hover to Select Virtual Desktops in Task View in Windows 10 Task View is a virtual desktop manager in Windows 10 that allows you quickly switch between all of your open apps...