Windows 10: How screwed am I? Locked out of account

Discus and support How screwed am I? Locked out of account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So today I made a MS account only because I wanted to download Edge extensions. I had no idea it would hijack my Windows login and convert it from... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Locked4ever, Aug 15, 2016.

1. How screwed am I? Locked out of account

So today I made a MS account only because I wanted to download Edge extensions. I had no idea it would hijack my Windows login and convert it from local to MS outlook without my permission. The MS account I made was full of crap that doesn't come back to me (fake reset email, etc.), and more importantly, a password that I never wrote down because I intended to, and did, mark the account for closing the second I installed the extensions.

Because I didn't use the account for any emails, the automated MS password recovery system tells me there's not enough information to reset my password.

How the bloody hell can I log in with my local account?

:)

Locked4ever, Aug 15, 2016
  2. Krekt Win User

I only have the disabled administrator account on my computer, of which I am locked out of.

<Original title: Locked Out>

Well, good game guys, I'm pretty much screwed. I only have the disabled administrator account on my computer, of which I am locked out of.

HALP.

Krekt, Aug 15, 2016
  3. LeeB1430 Win User
    Locked out of Windows after Fall Creators Update

I agree with all the above. But, this morning when burning the 1709 image it appears the power supply POP'd and went dead. Sounded like a small firecracker.

I have a spare but can't figure out how to get the fan that's blocking removal of the power supply out. Must have some plastic clips that I can't see as there are no screws.

LeeB1430, Aug 15, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

How screwed am I? Locked out of account

cereberus, Aug 15, 2016
  5. Thanks. Unfortunately this is not working for me with the new windows update. Files were moved, but no prompt at login.

6. Kari Win User
    Just to make this clear for future readers of this thread:

How screwed am I? Locked out of account [​IMG]
    Note Windows never "hijacks" your existing local account, Windows does never convert it to a Microsoft Account without your specific permission!

When for instance downloading apps or Edge extensions from Windows Store you are allowed to use the Microsoft Account only to sign in to store, keeping your Windows sign in local account:

How screwed am I? Locked out of account [​IMG]

(Click screenshot to enlarge.)

Only with your specific permission by entering your local account password and clicking Next will your local account be converted to a Microsoft Account.

Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

7. Sorry to argue, but completely incorrect in this instance. I am very familiar with W10 making it a point to push the user into connecting with a live account, and I have always made it a point to avoid it.

I did not receive such a prompt today. Coincidentally, I just installed the latest update for extensions.

I simply set my locally logged in PC to hibernate for lunch, and returned to the live account requiring the live password I do not possess.

8. brummyfan Win User

If this is a laptop, disconnect the mains, take out the battery and press the Power button for few seconds, leave it to rest for a while then insert the battery, connect the mains and follow cereberus's instructions from post 2.

brummyfan, Aug 15, 2016
  9. Kari Win User
    Of course you had that prompt, an option to select to use Microsoft Account only for Store. That you didn't notice it or bother to find out what it means is hardly Microsoft's fault. Or do you mean that Microsoft has made two different WIndows versions, one for you without that prompt and one for rest of us?

The possibility to use Microsoft Account only for Store, not converting Windows account has been there from first versions of Windows 10. The option "Sign in to just this app instead" has been on that dialog from beginning of Windows 10.

10. Just a point on the latest laptops you cannot remove the battery as it is built in, on my acer and Toshiba laptops that is the case.
    The only way to remove it is to take laptop apart, which I would not recommend.
    The only way to do it is remove mains lead and let it run down that way.
    Or hard press the power button which on some laptops gives you an option to do a reset.

hTconeM9user, Aug 15, 2016
  11. I tried to get the extension, it said I didn't have an account. I made an account and only saw an install button when I went back. No prompt. Don't know what else to tell you.

12. Will try, thanks.

13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Locked4ever,

You might see if you may be able to use OPTION THREE to reset your MSA password. You can select "I don't have any of these" at step 5 if you are unable to use any of the other options, but it will take longer.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...a.html#option3

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How screwed am I? Locked out of account - Similar Threads - screwed Locked account

2. Account hacked and I am locked out!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account hacked and I am locked out!: My Microsoft account was hacked today and I am locked out. When I try to login I got a prompt to enter the recovery email which a RUSSIAN ONE!! HOW did that happen? How can I get my account back???...
  3. Account hacked and I am locked out!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Account hacked and I am locked out!: My Microsoft account was hacked today and I am locked out. When I try to login I got a prompt to enter the recovery email which a RUSSIAN ONE!! HOW did that happen? How can I get my account back???...
  4. I am locked out of my main windows account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am locked out of my main windows account.: My brother recently logged in on his account and now my account doesn't show up to be logged into anymore. I can still see its folder in users and can still see it in control panel. But 0 options to login to it. I've tried almost everything but nothing has worked....
  5. I am locked out of my main windows account.

I am locked out of my main windows account.: My brother recently logged in on his account and now my account doesn't show up to be logged into anymore. I can still see its folder in users and can still see it in control panel. But 0 options to login to it. I've tried almost everything but nothing has worked....
  6. I am locked out of my main windows account.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  7. I am locked out of my account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am locked out of my account.: I have just logged into my account on a new device. The moment I logged in, I was prompted with "Help us protect your account." I try to verify other accounts but it does not work. What do I mean by it does not work? Well it goes back into the "Help us protect your account"...
  8. I am locked out of my account.

I am locked out of my account.: I have just logged into my account on a new device. The moment I logged in, I was prompted with "Help us protect your account." I try to verify other accounts but it does not work. What do I mean by it does not work? Well it goes back into the "Help us protect your account"...
  9. i am locked out

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    i am locked out: i am locked out. Cannot send or receive emails. Cannot connect to TeamViewer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-locked-out/12d5f0b1-6116-451a-b69f-0663562bc4cb
  10. I am locked out of my admin account for Teams

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I am locked out of my admin account for Teams: I set up two factor authentication and am now stuck in a login loop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-locked-out-of-my-admin-account-for-teams/06a7cae6-fc69-4627-b0d3-7c3fbc5996f0