Windows 10: How to add exclusions only for real-time scanning

Discus and support How to add exclusions only for real-time scanning in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; After using Avast for a long time I thought I would try Windows Defender out. One newbie question - how do I add exclusions for real-time scanning... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by WebMaximus, Jan 29, 2018.

1. How to add exclusions only for real-time scanning

After using Avast for a long time I thought I would try Windows Defender out.

One newbie question - how do I add exclusions for real-time scanning only or isn't this possible in Windows Defender?

I have some areas where I don't want any real-time scanning for performance reasons but I still want these areas scanned when performing a manual or scheduled scan.

Or maybe the footprint using Windows Defender is small enough not having to worry about performance issues even with real-time scanning enabled for all files and folders?

:)

WebMaximus, Jan 29, 2018

2. I have brought a laser engraver printer,but the system reject any time the program.What I can do to fix this problem?

If you want to do it like that, it's okay...

But, as I mentioned in my other reply, you could also either add an exclusion (How to Add or Remove Exclusions for
    Windows Defender in Windows 10
    ) for the program , or just turn off real-time scanning (How to Turn On or
    Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows 10
    ) while you use that printer.

Jsssssssss, Jan 29, 2018
  3. How do I REVERSE exclusions from Windows 10 settings?

No, it doesn't. I added a file to exclusion, moved it somewhere else and tried to remove the exclusion. It worked for me. Don't know you are having problem in removing exclusion.

What definitions and versions?

If you are adding a file as exclusion, only that file will be excluded, that too when it is in the specified folder. If you move the file somewhere else, it won't get excluded. If you exclude a folder, it won't be scanned (and same rule is applicable
    to folders too, move the folder and it'll get scanned).

If you add a file type exclusion, all files of the specified extension won't get scanned. If you exclude a process, it'll be excluded from Real Time Protection.

You mean you found an exclusion that you didn't add?

Prashant Kumar

PrashantKumar96, Jan 29, 2018
  4. AndreTen Win User

How to add exclusions only for real-time scanning

Think that real time and scheduled scans can't be separated.
    Paths or processes can be excluded, but for both. Manual scan is not a problem, since it could be run with path in mind...

Check more here for powershell cmdlets:
    technet.microsoft.com | library

Commands would be Set-MpPreference and Add-MpPreference

AndreTen, Jan 29, 2018
  5. Ok, guess I'll start with no exclusions to find out how big (or small) the performance footprint is.

WebMaximus, Jan 29, 2018
  6. AndreTen Win User
    Of course, you can add exclusions via Defender itself: Virus and threat protection / Exclusions:

How to add exclusions only for real-time scanning [​IMG]

AndreTen, Jan 29, 2018
  7. As stated in my initial post I do know I can add exclusions.

What I couldn't find was how to add exclusions only affecting the real-time scanning.

WebMaximus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to add exclusions only for real-time scanning

1. How to add exclusions only for real-time scanning - Similar Threads - add exclusions real

2. How do I add exclusions?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I add exclusions?: I'm trying to add an exclusion for LOOT https://loot.github.io/ in order for it to work properly.https://www.howtogeek.com/671233/how-to-add-exclusions-in-windows-defender-on-windows-10/So I go to Windows Security, then I go to Virus & threat protection, and I am supposed to...
  3. Problem with real time scanning and NTLite software.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problem with real time scanning and NTLite software.: Hello, I have the following problem with windows defender real time scanning when this is turned on it make NTLite software slow to make A ISO file for windows. Any help would be great. Thanks Matthew...
  4. Cannot add exclusions to Microsoft Defender + Defender real-time protection

Cannot add exclusions to Microsoft Defender + Defender real-time protection: Hi all, Three months ago I bought a brand new Dell XPS 15 9500, as it proved to be among the most reliable and powerful mid- to high-end machines on the market for an AI student like myself, with the occasional ability to run powerful models thanks to its GPU. Now, it has...
  5. Add exclusions for game process and folders or turn off real time protection ?

Add exclusions for game process and folders or turn off real time protection ?: I have had an issue with Borderlands The Pre-sequel crashing. I have tried all the suggestions given by Gearbox software support and all failed except the last one which was to disable Windows Defender real time protection while gaming. Now the game is stable and there...
  6. Real Time file Scanning

in Windows 10 Customization
    Real Time file Scanning: Hey guys, how do you turn off real time file scanning? Im trying to download CCS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/real-time-file-scanning/c204fde1-1410-4626-8f5b-c8d6c5d34eb2
  7. Add Exclusions

Add Exclusions: I am in windows security, Virus & threat protection. According to windows it should have an option to manage settings(but it doesn't) then under Exclusions there is suppose to be an option to add or remove exclusions(but there's not. Need help please....
  8. I Cannot Turn on McAfee Real time Scanning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I Cannot Turn on McAfee Real time Scanning: I cannot Turn ON McAfee Real Time Scanning.......I paid for it! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/i-cannot-turn-on-mcafee-real-time-scanning/58255216-53ef-492f-8a2a-cb4354b62d0f
  9. how to add an exclusions-list in mbar ?

how to add an exclusions-list in mbar ?: Mbar is missing an exclusion-list , I have to exclude the same items it finds , after every scan ! Is it possible to add an exclusions-list to the program ?? 113727
  10. How to Disable Windows 10 real time scan of removable drives...?

How to Disable Windows 10 real time scan of removable drives...?: How to Disable Windows 10 real time scan of removable drives when inserted? Each time, I plug it in. I get a notice that there is a virus. I already know what the files do, they are just a couple of pups. I know I can disable after inserted but I want any removable drive I...