Windows 10: How to add icons to the left of Start Menu?

Discus and support How to add icons to the left of Start Menu? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just got Windows 10 a few hours ago. I don't see how you pin icons for programs to the LEFT side of the start menu. I can pin things to the right side,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jagwar, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Jagwar Win User

How to add icons to the left of Start Menu?

Just got Windows 10 a few hours ago. I don't see how you pin icons for programs to the LEFT side of the start menu. I can pin things to the right side, but I don't want those tiles.

:)

Jagwar, Dec 17, 2015
  2. Darov M. Win User

How to add programs of choice to the left side of the start menu in Windows 10

Thank you for your response, Mr., Keene. Do you perhaps have an idea as to whether, or when this functionality will be implemented?

Darov M., Dec 17, 2015
  3. Darov M. Win User
    How to add programs of choice to the left side of the start menu in Windows 10

Interesting. I guess I'll follow your advice and look into the feedback app.

Again, thank you for your answer.

-D.

Darov M., Dec 17, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Dec 17, 2015
  5. Jagwar Win User
    Jagwar, Dec 17, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    All of the programs/apps you have installed should appear within the all apps section of the start menu.
    Screen Shot

How to add icons to the left of Start Menu? [​IMG]

BunnyJ, Dec 17, 2015
  7. Jagwar Win User
    I have programs installed and it's empty.
    This was a 8.1>10 upgrade btw

Jagwar, Dec 17, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

@ Jagwar:
    On the 'front' menu, the only thing you have is the 'Most used' list and,
    the list below it, which can be customized by changing the 'target' of the shortcut.
    (I'll find out if our esteemed Mr Brink has a tutorial on that!) *Smile

Edwin, Dec 17, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yep. *Wink

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Dec 17, 2015
  10. Jagwar Win User
    This new start menu sure is different than the Windows 7 one... still trying to understand it completely.

Jagwar, Dec 17, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    Simple fix, install Classic Shell and you have a Windows 7 like start menu back.

Ztruker, Dec 17, 2015
  12. Jagwar Win User
    Was looking forward to not having a 3rd party program for my start menu as they can "break" and simply aren't as bug-free as Microsoft software. But I did go ahead and install it. Do you know if you can remove some of the links on the right? (like "Networks and connections")

Jagwar, Dec 17, 2015
  13. AndreyT Win User

The left side of the Start Menu is for frequently used programs. The list is populated automatically and is limited to 6 entries. This is a very poor design decision, BTW: the menu itself is resizable vertically, but regardless of its current size the list is limited to 6 entries. I hope Microsoft eventually figures out that the size of that list should be flexible.

It is probably possible to manipulate the contents of that list manually, since the stats that define frequently used programs have to be stored somewhere. I just don't know where. In any case, there's no immediately available GUI-level feature for adding programs to that list.

P.S. Another bizarre design decision by MS is removal of combined "recently opened documents" list. It was an extremely useful feature. The current per-program lists are significantly less convenient and go against the much-touted "document first" design principle.

AndreyT, Dec 17, 2015
  14. Jagwar Win User
    It is indeed a lame design; taking more away from what the consumer can actually customize himself. It looks like they want you to use the tiles for programs and whatnot and the left side play as the secondary list.

Jagwar, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to add icons to the left of Start Menu? - Similar Threads - add icons left

2. How to add a program to the start menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to add a program to the start menu?: I'm trying to configure the Windows 11 start menu to work the way I want. I found these instructions for adding a program to the menu:1. Click the Start button on the task bar.2. Click All Apps.3. Right click the app I want to add. Windows opens a context menu which, in the...
  3. How to add a program to the start menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to add a program to the start menu?: I'm trying to configure the Windows 11 start menu to work the way I want. I found these instructions for adding a program to the menu:1. Click the Start button on the task bar.2. Click All Apps.3. Right click the app I want to add. Windows opens a context menu which, in the...
  4. Start Menu left margin icons - expanded?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu left margin icons - expanded?: Is there a way to customize the Windows 10 start menu to always expand the left margin icons? There are three lines at the top left corner that can expand the left margin outward, but it collapses afterwards. I'd prefer to get rid of the alphabetized scroll list altogether...
  5. No left hand start menu!

No left hand start menu!: I am using the windows insider edition, and I would like to get rid of the start menu that the windows flag opens without tiles in it and have the tiles float on the desktop. Can this be done? Me 151559
  6. How to add Settings to context menu with icon

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add Settings to context menu with icon: I found a video on how to add "Settings" to my context menu. It also explained how to add an icon to "Settings" which is the same operation. I now have "Settings" on my context menu but I have tried over and over to add an icon and it isn't working. But I can't seem to add...
  7. Start menu (left)

Start menu (left): Hello! Is there any way that the start menu opens like this always? (Want the Windows 10 start menu to show the expanded start menu) [img] 125495
  8. How to add Run to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add Run to Start Menu: Normally Winkey+R will open the run box but not when you are running in a VM under Oracle, so ... how do I add Run to the Win 10 Start Menu? Edit: Found that right click on Start Menu brings up dialog that Run is in. 2274
  9. Left Sidebar on the Start Menu is collapsed showing just Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Left Sidebar on the Start Menu is collapsed showing just Icons: Please help spent hours googling, but just end up at customisation guides, which none mention the situation Iv'e made [img] to expand the icons and see names of folders I need click "expand" icon at top. [img] What have I done and how can I get it back to...
  10. Left click start menu makes desktop icon disappear.

in Windows 10 Support
    Left click start menu makes desktop icon disappear.: A customer brought me a machine with an issue I have never seen before. All desktop icons were gone and the only thing on the desktop is 3 lines in the upper left (opens an empty start menu), 3 lines in the lower left (opens all programs list) and the power button above that....