Windows 10: How To Back Up?

Discus and support How To Back Up? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm running Windows 10 Pro. I used to use a Mac and it had Time Machine for backing up and this worked really well. All I had to do was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by NiceAndShy, Sep 28, 2016.

1. How To Back Up?

Hi all, I'm running Windows 10 Pro.

I used to use a Mac and it had Time Machine for backing up and this worked really well. All I had to do was plugin an external USB HDD to set it up and then it would automatically back up every file and setting on my Mac.

I know there are many 3rd party apps that will backup, but I just want to use something that's in-built into Windows 10 Pro.

Thank you for any help!

:)

NiceAndShy, Sep 28, 2016
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Sep 28, 2016
  3. How How Win User
    I can't minimize windows edge browser in Windows 10

I am using a desktop and cannot minimize. By now there should be a solution. How can I got back to Windows 8, this is not working for me.

How How, Sep 28, 2016
  4. How To Back Up?

I've always used Acronis True Image, but it does cost money.

HTG has a nice comprehensive list of various backup utilities at this link that are built into Windows 10, each with different functions depending on how/what you want to backup.

Ten Seconds, Sep 28, 2016
  5. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Sep 28, 2016
  6. Thanks so much, but I'd much prefer to just use Windows in-built backup since I'm running Win10 Pro.

NiceAndShy, Sep 28, 2016
  7. Golden Win User
    To be honest, Windows in-built backup (both 7, 8 and 10) has never been very good at all. You will find 3rd party tools are easier, more flexible and, in my opinion, more reliable.

Have a look at system imaging for the ultimate failsafe:

Macrium Reflect - Backup Restore - Windows 10 Forums

If you are insistent on risking Windows in-built tools, do a search in the tutorial section of this forum using "backup" as a keyword.

Golden, Sep 28, 2016
  8. How To Back Up?

I see.

What's so bad about the Windows 10 Pro in-built backup? I was told it was just upgraded in the recent Windows 10 Update...

NiceAndShy, Sep 28, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 28, 2016
  10. I back up every time with the windows own one onto an external drive and finds it works and does the job, as good as any other

hTconeM9user, Sep 28, 2016
  11. Bree New Member
    Apparently Microsoft found that with earlier versions of Windows, home users were taking one look at Backup and Restore and (finding it too difficult to understand) giving up on backups of any sort.

That's why File History was born. Turn it on and a right-click on any of your documents allows you to browse and restore past revisions.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Unlike Mac's Time Machine, File History is just for your documents - you'll need to make separate provision for taking a system image. If you want the built-in solution, read Brink's tutorial linked to earlier. I've used backup & restore to make (and restore) system images without any problems.

12. Thanks so much for your reply!

I've used "System Image" before in Windows 8.1, but this took all night to create a backup... Do I need to create a system image every time I use this??? In Time Machine it allowed me to create a backup the first time and then each time after that it only backed up the files that had been changed so each day I could run a backup in Time Machine.

NiceAndShy, Oct 1, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

How To Back Up?

Yeah, a system image will always be a new full image each time you create one.

For what you're wanting, you might give Macrium Reflect, that Golden posted above, a play with to see how you like to.

Brink, Oct 1, 2016
  14. Thanks, but is it possible to create a System Image and then add files to it each day like I do in Time Machine?

NiceAndShy, Oct 1, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Sorry, but not with Windows System Image.

Brink, Oct 1, 2016
Thema:

How To Back Up?