Windows 10: How to change the folder path for Documents, Music, etc libraries?

Discus and support How to change the folder path for Documents, Music, etc libraries? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I plan on having an SSD for the OS and a separate hard drive for programs/documents, music, etc. What I don't know is how exactly to change the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jagwar, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Jagwar Win User

How to change the folder path for Documents, Music, etc libraries?

I plan on having an SSD for the OS and a separate hard drive for programs/documents, music, etc. What I don't know is how exactly to change the directory for my Documents, music, videos, pictures, downloads libraries. Can anyone explain how to do this?

This is for Windows 10 (obviously)

:)

Jagwar, Mar 12, 2016

2. Windows 10 Update On May 24, 2017 - Folders Redirect

Again, that does NOT change the path of the folders under "My PC". The path for the Documents folder is set to C:\Users\(my user name)\OneDrive. It should be C:\Users\(my user name). No matter what I do, including resetting the target folder for this, it
    will not redirect from the set path.

How do I change the path for my Documents, my Pictures, etc. folders?

Thank you.

Jim Purcell, Mar 12, 2016
  3. RicW-nw Win User
    Exclude subfolder

Perish the thought! - Yes, I'd just relocate your downloads folder to 'Documents' (make sure you change the download path at locations you've already used too) - then you can edit tags etc. there before moving them to the music folder. As far as I can see
    you cannot remove folders within the music folder from Groove. You'll need to copy any tracks still in that folder elsewhere and then delete it.

RicW-nw, Mar 12, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I can well understand your intention to separate the OS from your programs and data.

However it's not a good idea to have your installed programs on a different physical disk (E.g. D: ) to your OS as you plan. Why?
    1. The registry is on C, the program on D
    2. Other files and folders related to the program may well be on C
    3. Coordinating backups e.g. disk images of the two separate disks
    4. You'd need system restore on on C and D
    5. What happens if one disk fails- what do you do then?
    6. etc etc.

So simply by specifying your install path as D: doesn't mean (as I assume you know) your program is independent of the OS. Only true of portable programs.

If, say, your boot 'disk' is an SSD, you might be concerned about space depending on how big your SSD is at this point (= how much you're prepared to spend). Then you might have to make an exception for an especially large program, for example.

Further, your boot time will be somewhat reduced if you have programs loaded on startup on your HDD.

dalchina, Mar 12, 2016
  6. RolandJS Win User
    +1 dalchina! I recommend creating data folders on the designated partition or hard-drive. And, educating each of your important data-creating programs to default save into [onto] the designated hard-drive's folders you created. When you have to OS restore, your data will not care in the least 'cause it's all residing on another partition [or hard-drive]. Be advised: if you use Firefox, Thunderbird, eM Client, or similar programs -- you can save certain folders to your backups hard-drive just prior to OS restore.

RolandJS, Mar 12, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Jagwar, *Smile

Actually, you do not need to change the location of Libraries since the location depends on where the folders included in the library are located, and what included folder you set as the default save location. The default save location is where everything you save in the library is actually saved to.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Mar 12, 2016
  8. Jagwar Win User

I'm looking at the 2nd link and it says to click on "Manage" at the top, but I have no "Manage" button.

Jagwar, Mar 12, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Just wondering- was 'Manage' Windows 8, and is it now
    Rt click folder
    Properties

dalchina, Mar 12, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    When you have a library selected or opened, you should have a "Library Tools" Manage tab that you'll need to click on to open first. You should then see the Manage button in the ribbon.

Brink, Mar 12, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Mar 12, 2016
  12. Jagwar Win User
    I see now, I had that menu disabled.

Jagwar, Mar 12, 2016
  13. Jagwar Win User

OK Can someone explain why these two menus (which should be identical) contain different files?

How to change the folder path for Documents, Music, etc libraries? [​IMG]

Jagwar, Mar 12, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The folders in "This PC" point to your "C:\Users" folder to location.

The other are libraries instead that are only collections of included folders in each library. They include more than just the same locations in This PC.

They are separate locations. *Smile

Brink, Mar 12, 2016
  15. Jagwar Win User
    Oh, then I'm trying to change those "This PC" folders versus the Libraries.

Jagwar, Mar 12, 2016
Thema:

1. How to change the folder path for Documents, Music, etc libraries? - Similar Threads - change folder path

2. Add system folder like Documents, Pictures, Music, etc?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Add system folder like Documents, Pictures, Music, etc?: Hello! I started making games in Unity and I want to create a system folder called "Games". I created one in my "C:/Users/(myname)/" folder, and found out how to change the icon (here's a pic). Kind of obsessive, I know, but is there any way to make it have a folder as part...
  3. Lost music, picture, documents, etc.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost music, picture, documents, etc.: Went to work on my computer, but when I turned it on, I found an error stating I needed a disk to hard boot it! I was able to get to order of start up and got the computer to work, and everything was there 10 days ago. Yesterday, it was gone...everything. All the folders were...
  4. Folders: Changing directory of user library folders desktop, music, pictures, documents, videos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders: Changing directory of user library folders desktop, music, pictures, documents, videos: For the user library folders such as Desktop, Music, Pictures, I know that the directory can be changed by going in to "properties" > "location" Like so: https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/change-location-of-user-folders-in-windows/ I'm looking to change the directory of these...
  5. ny way to display the full path for certain folders (documents, etc)?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ny way to display the full path for certain folders (documents, etc)?: Hi I noticed that File Explorer doesn't show the full path in the title bar (after I enabled this) for certain folders such as Documents, Downloads...that you select in the navigation pane. It shows fine if I navigate to the same folder though. Any way to show the path for...
  6. Any way to display the full path for certain folders (documents, etc)?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any way to display the full path for certain folders (documents, etc)?: Hi I noticed that File Explorer doesn't show the full path in the title bar (after I enabled this) for certain folders such as Documents, Downloads...that you select in the navigation pane. It shows fine if I navigate to the same folder though. Any way to show the path for...
  7. Rename Documents and Music folders?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rename Documents and Music folders?: hi, just read this forum again and i'm not so sure if my problems related to this or not. Anyway, wanna know can i Rename the Folders and How can i do it. I've marked the folders that i want to rename in the picture. [img] this issue suddenly happens after the latest...
  8. Multiple Documents, etc folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Multiple Documents, etc folders: My Win7 had My Documents, My Downloads, etc setup on the D drive. The default for Win 10 after the upgrade has the C drive Users area as default. There is no location tab on the Win10 folders. How can I get the default to save to the D drive? 15663
  9. How to make shortcuts open to full folder path and not libraries path?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make shortcuts open to full folder path and not libraries path?: Hi, I have an issue where if I make shortcuts to specific folders located inside my User folder (Pictures, Videos, Documents, etc), I have an issue where the shortcuts (even on Quick Access) open up to a smart folder where the filepath is something like This PC/Desktop...
  10. Folder stuck on "Music Library"

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder stuck on "Music Library": I accidentally set my account folder "C:\Users\MYACC" to Music Library. I tried different methods to reset Libaries but couldn't get the folder from showing "Music" as its name on Windows Explorer. Is this a symbolic link? Junction? How do I take it off? When I go into...