Windows 10: How to export favorites from Edge browser

Discus and support How to export favorites from Edge browser in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; After the "November update" to Windows 10, the Edge browser no longer uses a folder structure to store favorites. Instead, it now uses an Extensible... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by egray, Jan 15, 2016.

1. egray Win User

How to export favorites from Edge browser

After the "November update" to Windows 10, the Edge browser no longer uses a folder structure to store favorites. Instead, it now uses an Extensible Storage Engine (ESE) database. So, that means you can no longer just do a copy-n-paste in an attempt to export your favorites.

I've created a demonstration project that reads from this ESE database and produces an HTML-based "bookmark.htm" file that can be used to import into other browsers (like IE, Chrome, etc.)

Take a look at this article for the technical details: Export Edge Favorites
    or if you're not squeamish about loading an EXE file from a hobbyist like me, you can download the executable install file and give it a try

:)

egray, Jan 15, 2016

2. IE 11 Cannot Import from Edge

This is hardly surprising since Edge was not around when IE11 was built. You must use the universal method: Export your favorites from Edge, then import them into IE11. You can ask Google how to do it:

export favorites from edge

Frederik Long, Jan 15, 2016
  3. e.gray Win User
    Answer to: How to Export Favorites and Bookmarks from the Microsoft Edge browser to a Bookmark.htm or html file?

So, your technique requires that you manually replicate all of the changes in the Edge favorites back to IE?!?! That might be a viable solution if you only had minimal changes... but what if you have hundreds?

e.gray, Jan 15, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 19, 2016
  5. egray Win User
    EdgeExport v1.2

I’ve made a few changes to the EdgeExport application to nudge it away from just being a “demonstration project”. The original idea was to tread lightly, and not interfere with the original database at all… so that my application could not possibility do any harm.

But a few folks were having trouble with database integrity (getting a message saying that the database was not shutdown properly). So, I’ve modified the application to automatically attempt a recovery of the database.

You can download the updated version from the same location:
    Export Edge Favorites

egray, Feb 13, 2016
  6. Peter B Win User
    Just a quick note...Avast Anti-Virus wouldn't allow me to download the updated .exe file...screenshot attached.
    How to export favorites from Edge browser [​IMG]

Peter B, Feb 14, 2016
  7. egray Win User
    Yeah, downloading an EXE file from any web site is a potential threat. So, your anti-malware is doing a good job of warning you of the potential.

However, if you'd still like to download the file, despite the warning, then you can click on the "details" button to tell Avast to download it anyway.

egray, Feb 14, 2016
  8. CDNKIWI Win User

Thanks heaps (as they say in NZ) for creating this application egray. Really appreciate it! I started using Edge after recently migrating to Win10 from Win7 and was doing some research so had quite a bit of favorites I wanted to keep. I was about to re-image my PC and I wanted to tidy the favorites up and move them to IE since it is so much easier to manage them in IE. Your application worked brilliantly. I had to close and restart the Edge browser to get it to display by clicking "view" and then had to quit out of Edge to get it to export but it produced the output that I needed.

Cheers!

CDNKIWI, Mar 9, 2016
  9. egray Win User
    I've been working on a new utility to help manage edge favorites. It's still in "beta", but it is suitable for the brave to play with

EdgeManage v0.9.2 (beta)

The new Edge browser in Windows 10 is not really "feature complete". It lacks an easy way to manage favorites (aka Bookmarks).

The first version of Edge stored the favorites in the file system. So, you could use the File Explorer to add, delete, rename files to manage your favorites. Although Edge could import favorites from other browsers, it could not export them.

After the "November Update", the Edge browser no longer uses the file system, and instead uses an internal "ESE" database to store favorites. So, this means that you can no longer use the File Explorer to manage your favorites.

The current version of the Edge browser does not allow you to edit URLs, sort, import or export to a bookmarks.html file, backup/restore/copy the favorites database.

That's where this application steps in... it will allow you to:

• View favorites and folders in a graphical tree
    • Use "drag and drop" to move favorites and folders around
    • Sort all or portions of your favorites
    • Rename folders/favorites
    • Manually add/delete folders/favorites
    • Edit the URLs inside favorites
    • Import favorites from an HTML-based bookmarks.html file
    • Export favorites to an HTML-based bookmarks.html file
    • Backup and Restore the Edge database (can be used to copy to another PC)

Check it out at: Manage Edge Favorites

egray, Mar 15, 2016
  10. egray Win User
    Well, it's complete...and no longer a beta
    Download the most current version at Manage Edge Favorites

egray, Mar 27, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 27, 2016
  12. CycleBrew Win User
    I happened upon a fix that worked for me.

I exported my favorites to html from Edge (which would not import directly). I then opened the html file in IE and saved the file as a "Webpage, HTML only (*.htm, *.html)" instead of the "Webpage, complete (*.htm, *.html)" default. I then imported that file to IE as normal.

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, I didn't come across anything similar.

Cheers

CycleBrew, Dec 11, 2017
  13. torre Win User

It is a sin that Edge does not have a simple method to manage Favorites and to delete them all at once easily like other browsers.

torre, Dec 11, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 11, 2017
  15. torre Win User
    *Smile Thanks Brink, I have seen that tutorial but personally, seems a bit much.

I am not in the holiday spirit today. *Smile

torre, Dec 11, 2017
Thema:

1. How to export favorites from Edge browser - Similar Threads - export favorites Edge

2. Import/Export Edge favorites as HTML

in Browsers and Email
    Import/Export Edge favorites as HTML: I go to settings and more go down and select settings but do not get the GENERAL selections that is shown in step three. Where am I going wrong? I am running Version 20H2 build 19042.685 latest update of Edge shipinomore 170150
  3. Exporting Edge favorites

in Windows 10 Customization
    Exporting Edge favorites: Good evening, I have purchased a new PC. Is there anyway I can export my favourite sites from Edge on my old PC and import them into Edge on my new one? Thanks Mike...
  4. Favorites deleted from edge browser

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Favorites deleted from edge browser: HI, I updated windows 10 to the latest release and my favorites were deleted from edge.Any solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/favorites-deleted-from-edge-browser/5e10b64b-b8eb-4b55-b14d-383405f1e42c"
  5. How to Export Favorites to HTML file from Microsoft Edge Chromium

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to Export Favorites to HTML file from Microsoft Edge Chromium: How to: How to Export Favorites to HTML file from Microsoft Edge Chromium How to Export Favorites to HTML file from Microsoft Edge Chromium Microsoft has adopted the Chromium open source project in the development of Microsoft Edge on the desktop to create better web...
  6. Managing favorites in edge browser?

in Browsers and Email
    Managing favorites in edge browser?: How do I manage my favorites in the new Edge browser? I accidently moved a favorites folder into another favorites folder & I don't know how to get the folder out of the other folder? Thanks 12466
  7. no export favorites button in EDGE. How do I export my favorites?

in Browsers and Email
    no export favorites button in EDGE. How do I export my favorites?: no export favorites button in EDGE. How do I export my favorites including the favorites line in the top? 66205
  8. Import/Export Edge Favorites

in Browsers and Email
    Import/Export Edge Favorites: Microsoft Edge Favorites - Export in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums Though Edge may not be the browser of choice, would like to hear reviews/comments of the above method of export/import of favorites from those that have used the method. This method was designed...
  9. How to remove all favorites from Edge Browser

in Browsers and Email
    How to remove all favorites from Edge Browser: So I decided to give Edge another try, and seeing that I am still unable to directly import my favorites from Firefox I went around it by exporting them to a HTML file, importing them into IE and then into Edge. Well only half of them ended up appearing in edge and I now...
  10. How To Export Your Favorites From Edge To Another Browser

in Browsers and Email
    How To Export Your Favorites From Edge To Another Browser: I've been asked this a few times already and have always replied "It can't be done" *Redface Anyhow, seeing how I didn't follow the instructions in my signature and have found myself corrupting my Windows system while heavily overclocking and stress testing the CPU on a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. export edge favorites to ie 11