Windows 10: How to remove Guest account?

Discus and support How to remove Guest account? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; A while back I updated to windows 10 from Win7. For the last while I have occasionally gotten an error on boot that says something like "The windows... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by joelshort, Aug 29, 2016.

1. joelshort Win User

How to remove Guest account?

A while back I updated to windows 10 from Win7. For the last while I have occasionally gotten an error on boot that says something like "The windows Host Services has stopped working" and when I close the error I get a black screen. If I cntrl-alt-del I can restart the computer but the same error comes up.

If I instead Sign-Out instead of rebooting I am taken to the logon screen that has my main administrator account and a Guest account. If I logon using the main account everything is fine. I don't remember setting up a guest account and I have no need for it. I'm also not sure how things get messed up and how the guest account becomes active despite me never logging out of the main administrator account.

The strange thing is that if I go into User Accounts there is no guest account listed so I cannot remove the problem account.
    Any thoughts as to what is going on or how to remove the problem guest account?

:)

joelshort, Aug 29, 2016
  2. Kmw2714 Win User

Editing Guest User Accounts in Windows 10

How can I edit guest user options in windows 10? All I can find is how to add or remove a guest user account.

Kmw2714, Aug 29, 2016
  3. Guest account from W 8.1 to W 10

I have updated W 8.1 to W 10. In W 8.1

I had open guest account and on login user page on W10 is login to guest account visible, but W 10 don't have guest account. On sign up for that guest account W 10 report, that guest .... stop running or something like that.

No function to delete or remove such account is available in W 10.

Question:

How to remove or delete such "guest" account or remove or delete login mark such "guest" account?

Or that "guest" account will disappear after 30 days when return to W 8.1 will no longer be available?

iztoktolar, Aug 29, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

Perhaps Windows Club's Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4[?] for Windows 10 might have a checkbox that removes [**] the guest account. I assume the normal remove guest acct while in the admin acct is not working. Use UWT sparingly, or, you might be reaching for your Windows install DVD or your factory restore partition.

[**] Addendum: I used the wrong word "removes" -- I should have used the phrase "disables but does not remove"

RolandJS, Aug 29, 2016
  5. philc43 Win User
    Hello *Smile

Have you looked through the tutorials on accounts such as how to see what other accounts are on your system? I am sure you will be able to sort it out by following the various tutorials but feel free to follow up with any questions.

At some point someone may have manually added a guest account as shown here.

philc43, Aug 29, 2016
  6. joelshort Win User
    philc43, thanks for those links. It led me to a way to disable the Guest account using lusrmgr.msc Since the Guest account appears to be "built in" I am not able to remove the Guest account but it has been disabled and no longer shows up on the login screen. Hopefully that will solve the problem. *fingerscrossed*

joelshort, Aug 29, 2016
  7. Vesao Win User
    Try these steps and you should be able to delete the guest account:
    • Press the WIN + X keys and select "Command Prompt (Admin)" from the Quick Access menu.
    • At the Command Prompt, run this command: Code: net user Guest /del[/quote]

Vesao, Aug 30, 2016
  8. tsram90 Win User

Try these steps and you should be able to disable the guest account:

• Press the WIN + X keys and select "Command Prompt (Admin)" from the Quick Access menu.
    • At the Command Prompt, run this command:

Code:

tsram90, Aug 2, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    I'd be willing to bet that the post just under a year ago has been solved.

Berton, Aug 2, 2017
  10. tsram90 Win User
    I would join the bet. It would have been solved long ago.

But I had this problem and this was the first place I looked. But I didn't find any answer.
    So I thought I would share what worked for me, for the others who will come looking for it later.

tsram90, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to remove Guest account? - Similar Threads - remove Guest account

2. How to delete guest account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete guest account?: Recently I decided to change my pc name, however it made a guest account with the name I wanted to pc to have I tried to delete it by user account but I can't.. anyone know what to do? I had lock screen disabled but now it shows up....
  3. How to delete guest account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete guest account?: Recently I decided to change my pc name, however it made a guest account with the name I wanted to pc to have I tried to delete it by user account but I can't.. anyone know what to do? I had lock screen disabled but now it shows up....
  4. Guest Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Guest Account: How do I create a solo "Guest Acct" where I have family or friends can use it openly? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/guest-account/4b142ba3-7cb0-4129-8118-55938015394d
  5. Guest account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Guest account: How do I add a guest account? The activate user command syntax given in a 2015 response is not correct. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/guest-account/53ac58a3-2342-4cd5-a6ea-391734922c21
  6. How to create a Guest account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to create a Guest account?: How so I add a Guest account to my PC? When I go through Settings/Accounts/Other People, I get the message that I can't use a "snapin" with this edition of Windows 10, and that I must use the User Accounts too in the Control Panel. When I try that, it simply opens the...
  7. Guest account

Guest account: How so I add a Guest account to my PC? When I go through Settings/Accounts/Other People, I get the message that I can't use a "snapin" with this edition of Windows 10, and that I must use the User Accounts too in the Control Panel. When I try that, it simply opens the...
  8. cannot remove a standard guest account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    cannot remove a standard guest account: when i am clicked "remove" the guest account, a dialogue windows appears, saying: "this person needs to sign out before you can delete their account" i don't understand how this guest can sign out. plz help me, thx! Darcy...
  9. Guest account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Guest account: I asked this before but was unable to view any replies. My friend has a small business. He allows patrons to use his computer. Someone goes into settings and turns off the security and updates. How do I make an admin account for him with a password, and then make an open...
  10. How to log in to the guest account?

How to log in to the guest account?: Hello: I have successfully activated the hidden guest account by using the net user /guest:active command from an elevated command prompt. However, the account does not appear at the bottom left of my login screen along with the other accounts on my system, so I am unable...