Windows 10: How to transfer a laptop to my Windows 10 account from someone else's account?

Discus and support How to transfer a laptop to my Windows 10 account from someone else's account? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently acquired a laptop, and I am trying to set myself up on the laptop. The problem is that the laptop is locked to the previous owner's Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Thravang, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Thravang Win User

How to transfer a laptop to my Windows 10 account from someone else's account?

I recently acquired a laptop, and I am trying to set myself up on the laptop. The problem is that the laptop is locked to the previous owner's Windows 10 account. I have tried to transfer the laptop to my account, but the problem is.... the previous owner died suddenly, and as such I don't know her account details. How do I get past that issue? From what I understand so far, I have to remove the laptop from her MS account, but I don't know her password to do so. She's 6 feet under, it would be quite difficult for me to ask her.

:)

Thravang, Jun 12, 2019
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown How to transfer a laptop to my Windows 10 account from someone else's account? :(

Zakin, Jun 12, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Multiple questions about installing - transfer accounts etc.

According to you, the accounts were Windows built-in admin, a local admin and standard user. None of them needs to be moved.

The built-in admin account, as the name says, will be there when you boot the laptop first time. It is disabled by default, you just need to enable it. For two other accounts, simply create same accounts on laptop.

Attach the HDD to laptop using an external USB enclosure, copy contents of data folders to respective folders on laptop.

You mentioned that the desktop accounts were / are local accounts, not Microsoft accounts. See the options to get Pro here:
    If you can still access Windows on desktop, boot it up, make it a Microsoft account and link license to that MS account. Tutorials:
    When done, see this tutorial. It will show step by step what do on the laptop to transfer desktop license to it: Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

This article is the best I have seen about when a license transfer is possible, and when not:

4. 95Viper Win User

95Viper, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

1. How to transfer a laptop to my Windows 10 account from someone else's account? - Similar Threads - transfer laptop account

2. Account Transfer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Account Transfer: Hi all, I have been using a different computer for a while now but I haven't been using it in my account. I had never got around to adding my account to the computer and had been using my little brothers account. It has been around 6 months now and I want to use my account...
  3. Removal of account from my laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Removal of account from my laptop: How can I remove my account from a laptop ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removal-of-account-from-my-laptop/a4553cdc-e8dd-4b05-b7fc-2d458e6955c8"
  4. How to disassociate a Microsoft Account from a Local Account on a Windows 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disassociate a Microsoft Account from a Local Account on a Windows 10 laptop: My son accidentally set up his Microsoft account on his uncle's laptop. His uncle only had a local Windows account previously. Now his laptop is set up under my son's account and has my son's email address, etc and parental controls associated with his user profile. I...
  5. How to transfer my history with Account: MajBen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to transfer my history with Account: MajBen: How to get reinstated to my several year old history with Microsoft Community Account lost when computer quit: Account Name was MajBen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-transfer-my-history-with-account-majben/67673435-b9a0-486d-ba99-6f593835b53b
  6. Someone Attempt to Hack into my Account

Someone Attempt to Hack into my Account: So I received an email saying someone has access my email and to change my password, witch I have , but my question is how do I find out exactly who it was ? Say if it was my mom or bf would it tell me the device it tried to log in from ? How do I find that out ? [Original...
  7. Account on someone elses PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Account on someone elses PC: A whiIe ago I added my xbox account to a friend’s laptop because it gave me the standard “add you account to access your account features and track achievements and all that?” messge. I clicked yes abd after that his account could not access things like the web browser. He...
  8. someone added their account to my laptop and i need to remove it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    someone added their account to my laptop and i need to remove it: i need to remove an account someone added to my laptop, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/someone-added-their-account-to-my-laptop-and-i/6432ee18-86bc-417d-9efc-dc7eb83e1029
  9. any way to get around "someone else being in my Microsoft account"

any way to get around "someone else being in my Microsoft account": Because of this issue I have to be posting from my alt account. Basically here's what happened, my surface pro broke, I took it to the store to get it repaired, as they repaired it they gave me a loaner laptop. They were not able to fix it and just replaced it. I am now...
  10. Someone else trying to use account

Someone else trying to use account: My wife got a notification that someone else might be using her account and was instructed to reset her account. The phone number that was listed for the text code was a number we never had....