Windows 10: How to transfer a laptop to my Windows 10 account from someone else's account?

Discus and support How to transfer a laptop to my Windows 10 account from someone else's account? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently acquired a laptop, and I am trying to set myself up on the laptop. The problem is that the laptop is locked to the previous owner's Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Thravang, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Thravang Win User

How to transfer a laptop to my Windows 10 account from someone else's account?

I recently acquired a laptop, and I am trying to set myself up on the laptop. The problem is that the laptop is locked to the previous owner's Windows 10 account. I have tried to transfer the laptop to my account, but the problem is.... the previous owner died suddenly, and as such I don't know her account details. How do I get past that issue? From what I understand so far, I have to remove the laptop from her MS account, but I don't know her password to do so. She's 6 feet under, it would be quite difficult for me to ask her.

:)

Thravang, Jun 12, 2019
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown How to transfer a laptop to my Windows 10 account from someone else's account? :(

Zakin, Jun 12, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Multiple questions about installing - transfer accounts etc.

According to you, the accounts were Windows built-in admin, a local admin and standard user. None of them needs to be moved.

The built-in admin account, as the name says, will be there when you boot the laptop first time. It is disabled by default, you just need to enable it. For two other accounts, simply create same accounts on laptop.

Attach the HDD to laptop using an external USB enclosure, copy contents of data folders to respective folders on laptop.

You mentioned that the desktop accounts were / are local accounts, not Microsoft accounts. See the options to get Pro here:
    If you can still access Windows on desktop, boot it up, make it a Microsoft account and link license to that MS account. Tutorials:
    When done, see this tutorial. It will show step by step what do on the laptop to transfer desktop license to it: Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

This article is the best I have seen about when a license transfer is possible, and when not:

4. 95Viper Win User

95Viper, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

1. How to transfer a laptop to my Windows 10 account from someone else's account? - Similar Threads - transfer laptop account

2. My laptop settings is logged into someone elses account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop settings is logged into someone elses account: I am logged into a friend's account for some reason on the settings app and i can't log out in order to log back into my own account. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-settings-is-logged-into-someone-elses/c7a40d2c-63d1-4a6d-910f-a72392fb21c9
  3. My laptop settings is logged into someone elses account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop settings is logged into someone elses account: I am logged into a friend's account for some reason on the settings app and i can't log out in order to log back into my own account. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-settings-is-logged-into-someone-elses/c7a40d2c-63d1-4a6d-910f-a72392fb21c9
  4. Someone else's windows account is blocking me from my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Someone else's windows account is blocking me from my computer: Im the administrator for my computer and have the password but I don't have any password for Windows. How do I get in to to either remove windows and reinstall it or get in to add me or remove the one on it...
  5. Someone else's windows account is blocking me from my computer

Someone else's windows account is blocking me from my computer: Im the administrator for my computer and have the password but I don't have any password for Windows. How do I get in to to either remove windows and reinstall it or get in to add me or remove the one on it...
  6. How to delete my account as verification account used for someone else?

How to delete my account as verification account used for someone else?: Hello,I keep receiving emails that there was unusual activity on a different account that I am not using and I don't have access to. It's from somebody I am no longer in contact with but it's possible that we took my account for account verification.My question is, can I...
  7. How to delete my account as verification account used for someone else?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete my account as verification account used for someone else?: Hello,I keep receiving emails that there was unusual activity on a different account that I am not using and I don't have access to. It's from somebody I am no longer in contact with but it's possible that we took my account for account verification.My question is, can I...
  8. How to remove someone else's email from my account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to remove someone else's email from my account?: Hello, I recently had a friend over who logged into their Xbox account on my Windows 10 PC. After they left, I went to use Chrome on the same PC, but this happened: [img] This was totally expected, because my Windows account is NOT part of a family. So I went to account...
  9. Transferring a Windows 10 PC to Someone Else

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transferring a Windows 10 PC to Someone Else: I have an HP Laptop with an up to date version of Windows 10 Home that I want to give to an elderly friend to use. I've deleted all of my files, pictures, programs, history, etc., but I'm not sure how to delete myself as the Administrator and set up a new Administrator...
  10. Account on someone elses PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Account on someone elses PC: A whiIe ago I added my xbox account to a friend’s laptop because it gave me the standard “add you account to access your account features and track achievements and all that?” messge. I clicked yes abd after that his account could not access things like the web browser. He...