Windows 10: How to Use Cipher Command to Overwrite Deleted Data in Windows

Discus and support How to Use Cipher Command to Overwrite Deleted Data in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: How to Use Cipher Command to Overwrite Deleted Data in Windows The Cipher.exe command-line tool can be use to encrypt and decrypt data on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Jack_T2015, Jul 27, 2018.

1. How to Use Cipher Command to Overwrite Deleted Data in Windows

How to: How to Use Cipher Command to Overwrite Deleted Data in Windows

The Cipher.exe command-line tool can be use to encrypt and decrypt data on drives that use the NTFS file system and to view the encryption status of files and folders from a Command Prompt. Cipher.exe tool can be use to manage encrypted data by using the Encrypting File System (EFS).

Microsoft has developed an improved version of the Cipher.exe tool that provides the ability to permanently overwrite (or "wipe") all of the deleted data on a hard disk. This feature improves security by ensuring that even an attacker who gained complete physical control of a Windows 2000 and later versions of Windows computer would be unable to recover previously-deleted data.

IMPORTANT: Please note the following important information:

• You must close all programs before you start Cipher.exe.
    • Cipher.exe is not a cure-all that makes it safe to store sensitive data in a plain-text format. Although you can use this tool to remove sensitive data from a drive, if best practices are followed, such data would not normally be created on the drive.
    When you delete files or folders, the data is not initially removed from the hard disk. Instead, the space on the disk that was occupied by the deleted data is "deallocated." After it is deallocated, the space is available for use when new data is written to the disk. Until the space is overwritten, you can recover the deleted data by using a low-level disk editor or data-recovery software.

When you encrypt plain text files, Encrypting File System (EFS) makes a backup copy of the file so that the data is not lost if an error occurs during the encryption process. After the encryption is complete, the backup copy is deleted. As with other deleted files, the data is not completely removed until it has been overwritten.

This tutorial will show you how to use the cipher command to overwrite deleted data on a hard drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: Cipher command usage. The switch we are going to be using is the /w switch.

How to Use Cipher Command to Overwrite Deleted Data in Windows [​IMG]

To overwrite the deallocated data:

1 Quit all programs.

2 Open an elevated command prompt.

3 Type following command and press Enter key:
    cipher /w:folder path

Where folder path is the full path of any folder in the volume that you want to clean. For example, the Cipher /w:c:\test command causes all deallocated space on drive C to be overwritten. If C:\folder is a Mount Point or points to a folder on another volume, all deallocated space on that volume will be cleaned.

You can use the Cipher /w:C command line command to remove deleted files permanently. To wipe deleted files from a drive other than C:, substitute the actual drive letter that you wish to scan.

Data that is not allocated to files or folders is overwritten. This permanently removes the data. This can take a long time if you are overwriting a large amount of space.

How to Use Cipher Command to Overwrite Deleted Data in Windows [​IMG]

Related Tutorials

:)

Jack_T2015, Jul 27, 2018
  2. Naki Win User

GPU-Z what command line parameter ?

Suggestion: /? (-?) and /help (-help) command-line arguments to show a list of all possible arguments in a small window. *Smile How to Use Cipher Command to Overwrite Deleted Data in Windows :)

3. ryanly Win User
    GPU-Z what command line parameter ?

Current /? (-?) or / help (-help) parameter is invalid

ryanly, Oct 27, 2019
  4. How to Use Cipher Command to Overwrite Deleted Data in Windows

Can anyone solve this cipher?

That doesn't seem credible to me. In the solve 408-cipher (mailed July 31, 1969), he used all of those characters ( L, backwards L, <, >) and they weren't directions inside the cipher, they were simply cipher characters. That's not to say he couldn't have changed it up but if you look at what he proposes, it doesn't really make any sense either. The 408-cipher had very few typos in it. It was in coherent sentences.

What's unique about the above cipher is that, not long after he had the 340-cipher published (mailed Nov. 8, 1969), he published this (mailed April 20, 1970):
    "My Name Is..." Letter
    He calls himself "zodiac," he clearly wants people to solve the 340-cipher, and I believe he gave his name using the same cipher to help decipher it (clearly the intent of the text leading up to the 13-cipher). The problem is, those circled 8's don't appear in the 340-cipher. They are unique to the 13-cipher. I reason that this was deliberate. Coincidentally:
    Code: AEN+8K8M8tNAM _Z_O_D_I_A_C_[/quote] It fits like a glove and dodges all of the characters that are not in the 340-cipher. What that suggests to me is that every even index of character is junk data hiding the message. The non-junk data is what is posted above. Unlike the 408-cipher, it isn't just a little random, it is extremely random. That's what made me post this. I doubt I can solve it beyond the initial riddle. The more eyes looking at it the better.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 27, 2019
  5. AngelMesa Win User
    Encrypt a folder with Cipher

Hi Comdervids,

I’m Independent Advisor willing to help you. I would suggest to enclose the folder's name in quotations and use backslashes instead of forward-slashes like this:

cipher /E C:\Desktop\Derek's things

Or cipher /E C:\Desktop\"Derek's things"

Or cipher /E "C:\Desktop\Derek's things"

Best Regards,

Angel.

AngelMesa, Oct 27, 2019
  6. bro67 Win User
    bro67, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

How to Use Cipher Command to Overwrite Deleted Data in Windows

1. How to Use Cipher Command to Overwrite Deleted Data in Windows - Similar Threads - Cipher Command Overwrite

2. Error on Cipher Command

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error on Cipher Command: Hi, there!I made a few attempts to encrypt a folder, but the command keeps on returning the same error message: "...The request is not supported".The folder I want to encrypt is located in a USB drive. Here's the command I've entered: cipher /e D:/TestThe entire path reads:...
  3. Error on Cipher Command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error on Cipher Command: Hi, there!I made a few attempts to encrypt a folder, but the command keeps on returning the same error message: "...The request is not supported".The folder I want to encrypt is located in a USB drive. Here's the command I've entered: cipher /e D:/TestThe entire path reads:...
  4. Error on Cipher Command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. What's the command used to overwrite a program preventing the lock screen from starting?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What's the command used to overwrite a program preventing the lock screen from starting?: I remember using command prompt to overwrite OBS Studio which prevents the lock screen from starting, but I can't find the command anywhere online. Does anyone know the command?...
  6. Cipher command on cmd not working

Cipher command on cmd not working: [ATTACH] When I try to use the cipher command on cmd, this happens. Can anyone help? I am using windows 10 home edition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cipher-command-on-cmd-not-working/284fa5fd-7158-4303-a9e0-394f7a00fed8
  7. Windows 10 Cipher Command

Windows 10 Cipher Command: Is running cipher /w:C: completely safe and wipes deleted files? Is there a risk on running this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cipher-command/5e447e0e-3104-42f3-b969-5d05278d49ee
  8. "The request is not supported" error on cipher command

"The request is not supported" error on cipher command: Hi, i just want to secure my personal file on my PC using cipher command on cmd. Here i input the command: C:\Windows\system32>cd C:\Users\User\Desktop\Yada C:\Users\User\Desktop\Yada>cipher /e What i expect: Encrypting files in C:\Users\User\Desktop\Yada\...
  9. How to delete a Service in Windows 10 using Registry or Command-line

in Windows 10 News
    How to delete a Service in Windows 10 using Registry or Command-line: [ATTACH]The Windows Service is a computer process that runs in the background without having a user interaction. It usually gets active when you start your […] This article How to delete a Service in Windows 10 using Registry or Command-line first appeared on...
  10. Ccleaner - Secure Deletion (Overwritting)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ccleaner - Secure Deletion (Overwritting): Hi! I want to always Permanently Delete (Shred) files and folders on my PC so that no one can recover those data. Now I heard for a program called Eraser which allows us to shred files/folders by clicking right click of mouse on the files/folders and then choosing Shredding...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to overwrite deleted windows registry files using cipher command

2. Cipher.exe windows 10