Windows 10: Erase Disk using Diskpart Clean Command in Windows 10

Discus and support Erase Disk using Diskpart Clean Command in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Wow - I learnt something new here - the clean all command. So boot from an installation drive, press shift+f10, select OS drive in diskpart and use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by cereberus, May 30, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

Erase Disk using Diskpart Clean Command in Windows 10

Wow - I learnt something new here - the clean all command.

So boot from an installation drive, press shift+f10, select OS drive in diskpart and use clean all if selling PC - so who needs DBAN!

:)

cereberus, May 30, 2017

2. How to format a MAC HDD to WIN NTFS using WIN 10

Hi there,

In come cases Disk Management won't allow you to delete a partition formatted in a file system it doesn't recognize. In this case you can use the command line tool Diskpart. Note that you should be extremely careful which disk you choose to clean in diskpart
    as this will erase all the data on it. You can find a detailed guide
    here
    . Hope that helps.

TechpumpkinWD, May 30, 2017
  3. Dyan Rey Win User
    Windows 10 installation doesn't recognize my drive

Have you tried to delete the partitions by selecting Delete? If you are trying to perform a clean install of Windows to your SSD, let's go ahead and erase it:

• On the disk selection screen (make sure that the window for disk selection is active), press [Shift]+[F10] to open a command prompt window.
    • Type the following commands and press [Enter] after each line:

- diskpart

- select disk 0

- clean
    • Close the command window.
    • Click the Refresh button and proceed with the installation.

Dyan Rey, May 30, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Correct. That will wipe the OS drive completely.

Brink, May 31, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Might just be worth adding a sentence how to get to diskpart from an installation drive or similar.

Actually a mini iso that just booted to the command prompt would be a really handy tool but never seen one.

cereberus, May 31, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I have a link in step 1 for how to open a command prompt at boot to help.

Brink, May 31, 2017
  7. scop8 Win User
    Hello,

I wan to re-install Win10 on a SSD, but want to do a clean-all command from diskpart first (virus issues). However, upon trying to do a secure erase first in Command Prompt (admin) - diskpart - selected disk - clean all, I got an error: "Clean all is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump, or hibernation volume."

There's only Disk 0 as an option, I assume the error is because I can't do a clean wipe of the disk/OS I'm currently using?

I have Win10 USB ready. Can I do a diskpart at start-up from the installation USB? Or is there another method to completely wipe the SSD before re-installing? Thank you *Smile

scop8, Jul 13, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello scop8, *Smile

You should be able to run the "clean all" command from a command prompt at boot when opened after booting from Windows 10 installation media.

Brink, Jul 13, 2017
  9. scop8 Win User
    I'll give it a shot, thanks Brink *Smile

scop8, Jul 13, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Please let us know how it went. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Erase Disk using Diskpart Clean Command in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Erase Disk using

2. How to use Diskpart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to use Diskpart: I have a problem with my laptop. When I turn it on, it goes directly (after a while) to Windows RE. I can't do any of the easy recoveries off the menu - says it couldn't be fixed. I don't see any error messages on the screen. I booted from a Windows 10 ISO on a USB...
  3. Diskpart command info needed?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Diskpart command info needed?: Hi, I have a UEFI boot laptop (not Legacy BIOS). If I was to use Diskpart to create a Windows 10 bootable USB flash drive for UEFI only would the following commands be correct? If my understanding is correct there is no need for the "Active" command to be typed in as it isn't...
  4. Displaying the disk free space with Diskpart

Displaying the disk free space with Diskpart: Hi Starting the command prompt from the Windows 10 v1703 DVD, how do I display the disk free space to create other partitions using Diskpart utility? Thanks Bye 83257
  5. W10 Diskpart/disk list

W10 Diskpart/disk list: Hi to all and thank you to Spunk and Navy LCDR - Issue almost resolved from your help. I have just installed, in my notebook an old SSD EVO 850 Samsung as a 'second' separate SSD to use for a back-up. When I try to use Diskpart to clean this SSD I encounter a hitch....
  6. data recovery after using diskpart clean

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    data recovery after using diskpart clean: My son has a Dell laptop/tablet, it originally came with Win8 installed but he upgraded to win 10. The latest windows updates caused the machine to get into a reboot cycle and he was unable to roll it back when trying to restore to an earlier point (he said it gave him a...
  7. Need diskpart commands

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Need diskpart commands: I am going to reinstall but i forgot the typical diskpart commands that i want to do before hand on my SSD , i know clean is one of them but i forgot the others . I just have one SSD for boot and usage . Thank you 19116
  8. Windows won't boot after using DiskPart

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows won't boot after using DiskPart: Used Diskpart to access a spare OS that is same as my main OS, now I can not get the spare OS to boot? When I try and boot it go to Preparing Automatic Repair, can't get past this.Will not boot in save mode or nothing. Can still acess the drive from other OS,is there a window...
  9. Using DiskPart Prior to Setup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using DiskPart Prior to Setup: There is a key combination one uses while in windows setup screen to go to the dos prompt. But I can't remember it. Can anyone enlighten me? James 55281
  10. DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk: Oh good! Thanks so much, Kari. I feel like a kid opening my Erector Set - Wikipedia on Christmas morning. Played with that thing for hours. Automated scripting is the cat's meow. *Smile 95941