Windows 10: Erase Disk using Diskpart Clean Command in Windows 10

Discus and support Erase Disk using Diskpart Clean Command in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Erase Disk using Diskpart Clean Command in Windows 10 How to Erase a Disk using Diskpart Clean Command in Windows 10 [img] Information... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by cereberus, May 30, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

Erase Disk using Diskpart Clean Command in Windows 10

How to: Erase Disk using Diskpart Clean Command in Windows 10

How to Erase a Disk using Diskpart Clean Command in Windows 10

Erase Disk using Diskpart Clean Command in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information You can use the clean or clean all Diskpart command options to erase (wipe) a disk leaving it unallocated and not initialized.

The clean command removes any and all partition or volume formatting from the disk with focus. On master boot record (MBR) disks, only the MBR partitioning information and hidden sector information are overwritten. On GUID partition table (GPT) disks, the GPT partitioning information, including the Protective MBR, is overwritten; there is no hidden sector information. The clean command will only mark the data on the disk as deleted, and will not zero (secure erase) the disk like the clean all command below.

The clean all command performs the same action as the clean command above, but includes to specify that each and every sector on the disk is zeroed (secure erase), which completely deletes all data contained on the disk. This will make the data on the disk unrecoverable. It will take about an hour per 320 GB to finish running the "clean all" command on a disk.

This tutorial will show you how to use the clean or clean all Diskpart commands to erase a disk in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to "clean" or "clean all" a disk.

Warning Be sure you verify the correct disk number of the disk you want to erase from Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) before doing the steps below.

You do not want to erase the wrong disk, and lose data.

EXAMPLE: Disk that is not initialized and unallocated after running "clean" or "clean all" command

Here's How:

1. Open either an command prompt at boot for what you want to use.

Note You will not be able to run the clean or clean all command on the disk that Windows is installed on unless you do so in a command prompt at boot.

2. Type the command below, and press Enter. (see screenshots below step 5)
    diskpart
    3. Type the command below, and press Enter.
    list disk
    4. Type the command below, and press Enter.
    select disk #

Note Substitute # in the command above with the actual disk number (ex: "3") of the disk you want to clean.

For example: select disk 3

5. Type the command below you want to use, and press Enter.

Note The clean command will finish quickly since it only marks the data on the disk as deleted.

The clean all command will take about an hour per 320 GB to finish running since it performs a secure erase.

clean

OR

clean all

6. You can now GPT[/b], and create a New Simple Volume on the disk. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

cereberus, May 30, 2017

2. How to format a MAC HDD to WIN NTFS using WIN 10

Hi there,

In come cases Disk Management won't allow you to delete a partition formatted in a file system it doesn't recognize. In this case you can use the command line tool Diskpart. Note that you should be extremely careful which disk you choose to clean in diskpart
    as this will erase all the data on it. You can find a detailed guide
    here
    . Hope that helps.

TechpumpkinWD, May 30, 2017
  3. Dyan Rey Win User
    Windows 10 installation doesn't recognize my drive

Have you tried to delete the partitions by selecting Delete? If you are trying to perform a clean install of Windows to your SSD, let's go ahead and erase it:

• On the disk selection screen (make sure that the window for disk selection is active), press [Shift]+[F10] to open a command prompt window.
    • Type the following commands and press [Enter] after each line:

- diskpart

- select disk 0

- clean
    • Close the command window.
    • Click the Refresh button and proceed with the installation.

Dyan Rey, May 30, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Correct. That will wipe the OS drive completely.

Brink, May 31, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Might just be worth adding a sentence how to get to diskpart from an installation drive or similar.

Actually a mini iso that just booted to the command prompt would be a really handy tool but never seen one.

cereberus, May 31, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I have a link in step 1 for how to open a command prompt at boot to help.

Brink, May 31, 2017
  7. scop8 Win User
    Hello,

I wan to re-install Win10 on a SSD, but want to do a clean-all command from diskpart first (virus issues). However, upon trying to do a secure erase first in Command Prompt (admin) - diskpart - selected disk - clean all, I got an error: "Clean all is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump, or hibernation volume."

There's only Disk 0 as an option, I assume the error is because I can't do a clean wipe of the disk/OS I'm currently using?

I have Win10 USB ready. Can I do a diskpart at start-up from the installation USB? Or is there another method to completely wipe the SSD before re-installing? Thank you *Smile

scop8, Jul 13, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello scop8, *Smile

You should be able to run the "clean all" command from a command prompt at boot when opened after booting from Windows 10 installation media.

Brink, Jul 13, 2017
  9. scop8 Win User
    I'll give it a shot, thanks Brink *Smile

scop8, Jul 13, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Please let us know how it went. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Erase Disk using Diskpart Clean Command in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Erase Disk using

2. Help : Data Lost By Using Diskpart Clean Command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help : Data Lost By Using Diskpart Clean Command: By Installing Windows 11 from Windows 10 , To Make Space for Windows 11I have Entered the Command Diskpart Clean and Then convert the Diskpart to mbrAfter Installing Windows 11, I noticed That There was Only Local Disk C Which is Formatted or Cleared and Other Local Disks...
  3. Help : Data Lost By Using Diskpart Clean Command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help : Data Lost By Using Diskpart Clean Command: By Installing Windows 11 from Windows 10 , To Make Space for Windows 11I have Entered the Command Diskpart Clean and Then convert the Diskpart to mbrAfter Installing Windows 11, I noticed That There was Only Local Disk C Which is Formatted or Cleared and Other Local Disks...
  4. can i undo diskpart clean command on volume or partition or disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can i undo diskpart clean command on volume or partition or disk: can i undo diskpart clean command on volume or partition or disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-undo-diskpart-clean-command-on-volume-or/0ab610ad-6bfd-4491-b447-8dc384344675
  5. Used the "clean" command in DiskPart by mistake

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Used the "clean" command in DiskPart by mistake: I'm in a pickle and need somebody to help me. While removing some unnecessary partitions in HDD, I accidentally ran "clean" command instead of using "delete partition" command in DiskPart. Right after that, I also ran "create partition primary" command. But fortunately, I...
  6. Clean command in DiskPart in cmd by mistake

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Clean command in DiskPart in cmd by mistake: Hey geeks, My PC was having some trouble from last few days, so during the chkdsk, it made one of my partition RAW. So, in order to repair it, I accidently ran clean command in diskpart of Command Prompt Admin on my 1 TB HDD. Then I closed the command prompt immediately...
  7. 0xc00000e after using diskpart to clean disks.

0xc00000e after using diskpart to clean disks.: I was preparing some disks for use in a Storage Space using the clean command under diskpart, as I had plugged them in (hotswap SATA HBA) after the machine had booted, I had to reboot to start using them for the Storage Space. As I rebooted, I was hit by the BSOD 0xc00000e...
  8. Unable to clean disk using diskpart

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to clean disk using diskpart: Hi there! when trying to install windows 10 after it corrupting itself, ive been faced with the issue of not being able to delete the partition of my drive with the system files on it it gave an error code that was something along the lines of 0x80700001, i tried to clean...
  9. Clean command diskpart windows 10

Clean command diskpart windows 10: I accidentally ran this while in a windows 10 boot disk trying to recover my computer after it stopped booting. thankfully I have all the main partition's data on a backup drive, but is there anyway to basically "undo" the command? I guess not because I assume it just wipes...
  10. Unable to clean disk using diskpart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to clean disk using diskpart: Hi there! when trying to install windows 10 after it corrupting itself, ive been faced with the issue of not being able to delete the partition of my drive with the system files on it (it gave an error code that was something along the lines of 0x80700001), i tried to clean...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. erase dvd disk windows 10