Windows 10: How to Use Microsoft Safety Scanner in Windows

Discus and support How to Use Microsoft Safety Scanner in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: How to Use Microsoft Safety Scanner in Windows How to Use Microsoft Safety Scanner in Windows Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free scan... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Chesstnut, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Chesstnut Win User

How to Use Microsoft Safety Scanner in Windows

How to: How to Use Microsoft Safety Scanner in Windows

Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free scan tool designed to find and remove malware from Windows computers. Simply download it and run a scan to find malware and try to reverse changes made by identified threats.

Microsoft Safety Scanner only scans when manually triggered and is available for use 10 days after being downloaded. It is recommend that you always download the latest version of this tool before each scan.

Microsoft Safety scanner is a portable executable and does not install itself on your computer. To remove this tool, you would just delete the downloaded msert.exe executable file.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to scan your computer on-demand for malware with the portable Microsoft Safety Scanner tool in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

This tool does not replace your antimalware product. For real-time protection with automatic updates, use Windows Defender Antivirus on Windows 10 and Windows 8 or Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7. These antimalware products also provide powerful malware removal capabilities.

Here's How:

1 Download the 32-bit or 64-bit version of 32-bit or 64-bit Windows.
    Download
    2 Save the msert.exe to where you want, and run it.

3 If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes. (see screenshot below)

How to Use Microsoft Safety Scanner in Windows [​IMG]

4 Check the Accept all terms of the preceding license agreement box, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

5 Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

6 Select (dot) the type of scan (ex: Quick, Full, or Customized) you want performed, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshots below)

If you select Customized scan, you will need to click/tap on the Choose Folder button, select the drive or folder you want to scan, click/tap on OK, and then click/tap on Next.

7 Microsoft Safety Scanner will now start scanning what you selected. (see screenshot below)

If the tool finds any infections, it will identify the malware that it has found and then remove that malware from your computer, or give you options for what to do.

8 If the scan completes without any issues found, click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

9 If you like, the Microsoft Safety Scanner scan log results are located at: C:\Windows\Debug\msert.log

Example msert.log file:

Code:
    That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Chesstnut, Jul 20, 2018
  2. dalchina Win User

Unable to Load Microsoft Safety Scanner Web Page

Hi, Which specific URL are you having problems with?

Does this help?
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2916641
    "If a malware infection is preventing you from downloading the Microsoft Safety Scanner to your computer, use one of the following methods to download and run the tool.Method 1: Run the Microsoft Safety Scanner from removable media

Save the Microsoft Safety Scanner to removable media on an uninfected computer, and then run the tool on the infected computer. To do this, follow these steps:........................................"

You can also get the scanner here e.g.
    Microsoft Safety Scanner Download

dalchina, Oct 27, 2019
  3. jeanacox Win User
    Need help/suggestions to remove this virus. Microsoft Safety Scanner was suggested and tried but it could not remove one

*Original Title: Zeus b2957e virus

Need help/suggestions to remove this virus. Microsoft Safety Scanner was suggested and tried but it could not remove one

which of course is this Zeus b2957e since it is still there. I am a novice compared to most/all of you so I am up for any help/suggestions.

The malware listed on Microsoft Safety Scanner it could not remove= Exploit:Java/Obfuscator.W

[Moved from Windows]

jeanacox, Oct 27, 2019
  4. JamesJoey Win User

JamesJoey, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Arun B J Win User
    About Microsoft Safety Scanner

Hi Wilson,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

You can run Microsoft Safety scanner in Windows 10.

Refer the link below to download the Microsoft Safety scanner.

Microsoft Safety Scanner Download

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Anti-Virus Disclaimer:

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data
    loss.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Update Issue Safety Scanner

If you are using Windows Defender, you won't need Safety Scanner, as Windows Defender contains all malwares which are in Safety Scanner list and it has additional protection like cloud-protection, just make sure it is update and run a full system scan with
    it.

Do you have access to those files which has been detected with ESET?

Could you post back the list of malware?

Cyber_Defend_Team, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. How to Use Microsoft Safety Scanner in Windows - Similar Threads - Microsoft Safety Scanner

2. Microsoft safety scanner

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft safety scanner: Hello, I have run a Microsoft safety scanner a number of times each scan yields the same result, 9 infected files, it does not allow me to view these files or inform me of their location I'm wondering if is there a process by which I can view these files. Thanks for the reply...
  3. Microsoft safety scanner

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft safety scanner: Hello, I have run a Microsoft safety scanner a number of times each scan yields the same result, 9 infected files, it does not allow me to view these files or inform me of their location I'm wondering if is there a process by which I can view these files. Thanks for the reply...
  4. Microsoft safety scanner

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft safety scanner: Microsoft safety scanner encuentra 55 archivos infectados durante el proceso, pero al final dice que NO detectó nada, no ejecuta ninguna acción.Atte.Leonidas https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-safety-scanner/5976b64d-7f1e-4707-9a84-50f108575baa
  5. SAFETY SCANNER MICROSOFT?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SAFETY SCANNER MICROSOFT?: Hi I just ran Microsoft safety scanner full scan saw 12 infected files while it was scanning said it would give me a report at the end of the scan did not give me a report just said finished scanning? Thank you TIMMY 2 TOES...
  6. Microsoft Safety Scanner

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Safety Scanner: Hi all,I recently downloaded Microsoft Safety Scanner, just to make sure all was well.This is the result of the first pageYou will notice it says 2 files are infected.The end of the scan shows a different result however.I ran this test twice with the same results. Just...
  7. Microsoft Safety Scanner

Microsoft Safety Scanner: Hi all,I recently downloaded Microsoft Safety Scanner, just to make sure all was well.This is the result of the first pageYou will notice it says 2 files are infected.The end of the scan shows a different result however.I ran this test twice with the same results. Just...
  8. Microsoft Safety Scanner

Microsoft Safety Scanner: When full scanning with Microsoft Safety Scanner, it displayed 98 infected files but on completion of the scan it showed "no viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software". Did Microsoft automatically delete these infected files? Or did I just waste 7 hours...
  9. Microsoft safety scanner

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft safety scanner: After a lengthy scan the outcome was it completed successfully with no virus's etc. So how did it avoid the virus Trojan Win 32/ Malgent MSR still showing in the Windows Defender icon in the taskbar. This virus is continuous, on start, and have to use Defender to quarantine...
  10. Microsoft Safety Scanner

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Safety Scanner: When doing a full scan using Microsoft Safety Scanner I can see 4 infections reported while the scan is running but the final report shows there were no viruses etc. What report is accurate please ?...