Windows 10: I messed up moving Documents folder location to D:\

Discus and support I messed up moving Documents folder location to D:\ in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I messed up trying to move my Documents folder location to my D:\ data partition. I was following this tutorial, but not carefully enough: Documents... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sonicwind, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:23 PM.

1. sonicwind Win User

I messed up moving Documents folder location to D:\

I messed up trying to move my Documents folder location to my D:\ data partition.

I was following this tutorial, but not carefully enough: Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10

I didn't create a new Documents folder on the D:\ partition first, as the tutorial says to do. I clicked on "Move..." and selected the D:\ partition itself for the new location.

Now, in the menu on the left in File Explorer:

* Under Quick Access, it no longer shows a Documents folder, instead it says D:\ and has a document icon.

* Under my User Profile, it no longer shows a Documents folder, instead it has the name of my D:\ partition and the hard drive icon.

* If I click on my D:\ drive label under This PC, it shows the empty My Bluetooth folder that should be in the Documents folder.

I then tried making a Documents folder on the D:\ drive and moving it again, but I get the error: The folder can't be moved here. Can't redirect a parent into a child. The specified path is invalid."

How do I undo this and try again? I'm going to ask before I make it worse. I didn't have any documents in the folder yet.

I hope this is clear. Thank you for your time.

:)

2. Sharlotte Win User

Moving Folder Locations from SSD onto D Drive

So i moved my documents, pictures, videos, and music folders from my ssd to my D drive.

This is the process i followed: right click folder, click properties, click the location tab, click move, select the D drive, click ok.

What I failed to do, was create a NEW folder within the D drive (labelled either documents, pictures, videos, etc) to move the folder too. I misread the instructions, and just assumed I was putting the folder INTO the D drive, and that the folder itself would be moved to the D drive, and that I didn't need to create a folder with the same name as the folder I was moving. I hope that makes sense!

Anyway, now I have 4 separate D drives listed in my PC menu. Pretty sure underneath it all this is messing stuff up. Any help would be appreciated. Pretty concerned at this point that this is a permanent error.

3. Stevekir Win User
    Default Locations Two folders messed up

Here is how I did what the OP wants:

My C drive is on an ssd. Because I needed more space than the ssd offered, I wanted my four most important folders (Documents, Pictures, Music and Video) to be on the much bigger internal hard drive (Drive D). This involved manually making four (in my case) new (target) folders with the same names on that internal hard drive (D). (To do that, I opened Drive D and did Right Click > New.) Then, after a few more steps, Windows was configured to thereafter Redirect (the formal word/command) all save, open etc commands to those target folders rather than the default ones on the C drive. The step-by-step instructions are on the following Web site:

After the actions in the Web site have been followed, the following windows will appear when you press This PC or File Explorer:

Attachment 150088This shows View > Tiles. (You might need to scroll at the top of the window to select Tiles - Tiles is just my favourite).

But the Documents etc, are empty. That's OK. Redirection only operates on newly created files. Note the Web site gives instructions about about Moving (not copying) all your existing files to the new folders.

To test, create a dummy file and save it to Documents (navigate to Documents and note in passing that it is now filled with your existing files). Then press This PC or File Explorer (to open the same window in the attachments to this message). Confirm again that all your existing files and the dummy file are in Documents. As before, you see only one set of Documents etc. folders but they are actually on Drive D. Repeat for as many folders as you want. I redirected four in all. Simple.

All this is not as complex as looking at the instructions implies.

4. Rose Cal Win User

Suddenly, Documents folder has moved to Downloads

We appreciate the details you've provided. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to move your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10:

• You need to create a new folder named Documents at the location you want to move your personal Documents folder.
    • Press Win + E to open File Explorer, right-click
      Documents, and select Properties.
    • Select the Location tab and click the Move button.
    • Browse and select the new Documents folder at the location you want to move the folder Documents. Click the
      Select Folder.
    • Click OK to apply.
    • Click Yes to move all the files from the old location to the new location.
    • Your personal Documents folder and all of its contents will now be moved to the new location.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thema:

1. I messed up moving Documents folder location to D:\ - Similar Threads - messed moving Documents

2. Moved document folder location and now name is incorrect

in Windows 10 Support
    Moved document folder location and now name is incorrect: Hi, I moved the location of my 'Documents' folder from the C drive to the root of my D drive in error. What I meant to do was move it to D:\Documents. I have managed to restore the original location back to the C drive, and clicking on Documents under the user heading...
  3. Messed up downloads folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Messed up downloads folder: Hi. I was checking on Microsoft Edge and was trying to change it's default download location to my Desktop. Now I couldn't find anything and so after some google'ing I saw a guide that instructs me to change something on my Downloads folder by going...
  4. Cannot move Documents folder to new location

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move Documents folder to new location: Short version: I'm getting an error message when I attempt to move my Documents folder to a new location (same volume):The folder can't be moved here...The filename or extension is too long (see attachment). Longer version: I want to move my Documents, Videos, and Pictures...
  5. moving temp folder location

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    moving temp folder location: I moved my system and user temp folder locations in the belief it would save so many writes to my SSD, not sure if it was a good idea or not.. now have an error popup which mentions not being able to find the temp folder.....this could be because the partition i moved the...
  6. Moving Folder Locations from SSD onto D Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Folder Locations from SSD onto D Drive: So i moved my documents, pictures, videos, and music folders from my ssd to my D drive. This is the process i followed: right click folder, click properties, click the location tab, click move, select the D drive, click ok. What I failed to do, was create a NEW folder...
  7. How can I move the location of the Public Documents?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I move the location of the Public Documents?: Also, how can I move the location of the Public Documents? I only have the one user profile set up on this PC. I use the Public folders to access files with the other devices on our home network. 90465
  8. Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10: How do I make sure that the security permissions of the moved Documents folders are correct? I have a shared computer with an admin account and 2 user accounts. When I move the user's Documents to the new drive, it seems that the permissions are the default of the drive...
  9. Cannot move documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move documents folder: I am trying to move my documents folder from the external drive I put it on before installing Win10. It looks like its going to move, then says its done but nothing has moved. Any ideas? 8188
  10. Unable to move location of My Documents or My Pictures folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to move location of My Documents or My Pictures folders: So currently when I go into "This PC" I have 6 icons at the top : Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures & Videos. As I'm running my OS off a 120gb SSD I typically store my documents/photos/videos etc on another drive, in this case my D drive. If I right click >...