Windows 10: I want to transfer my digital liscense, which is connected to my Microsoft Account, from...

Discus and support I want to transfer my digital liscense, which is connected to my Microsoft Account, from... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've assembled a gaming computer and had the windows 10 OS installed on it and said "activate windows" on it a few days later. Despite already owning a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Megumin Stormy, Oct 27, 2019.

1. I want to transfer my digital liscense, which is connected to my Microsoft Account, from...

I've assembled a gaming computer and had the windows 10 OS installed on it and said "activate windows" on it a few days later. Despite already owning a Microsoft account, I signed in thinking it would've I've been OK. So now I was wondering, how do you transfer a digital license from one activated windows to an un-activated windows using a digital license that is connected to a Microsoft Account? I do not own a product key because it already had windows 10 OS on it and it wasn't used, but a brand new laptop.

I know I have the same versions on both the laptop and desktop, which would be Windows Home. Even after going through the troubleshooter plenty of times, it still does not even help. I haven't changed hardware at all since I have built the PC. I was wondering if there is a way to figure it out, since this problem has been plaguing me for a long time. Even then, if there is a way to completely transfer a digital license that is connected to an account from one pc to another, I would like to know because I am infuriated and would like some help.

Much appreciated if you could help, even a little.

:)

Megumin Stormy, Oct 27, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Multiple questions about installing - transfer accounts etc.

According to you, the accounts were Windows built-in admin, a local admin and standard user. None of them needs to be moved.

The built-in admin account, as the name says, will be there when you boot the laptop first time. It is disabled by default, you just need to enable it. For two other accounts, simply create same accounts on laptop.

Attach the HDD to laptop using an external USB enclosure, copy contents of data folders to respective folders on laptop.

You mentioned that the desktop accounts were / are local accounts, not Microsoft accounts. See the options to get Pro here:
    If you can still access Windows on desktop, boot it up, make it a Microsoft account and link license to that MS account. Tutorials:
    When done, see this tutorial. It will show step by step what do on the laptop to transfer desktop license to it: Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

This article is the best I have seen about when a license transfer is possible, and when not:

3. Kari Win User
    key points of Tutorial "Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital "

Yes.

Yes. Signing in to Windows 10 with a Microsoft account, the password is always that of Microsoft account.

Yes. Digital license of a Windows 10 PC can only be attached to one MS account at any given time.

Yes.

Please notice that license transfer and management can be confusing if you do not use descriptive computer names.

By default Windows names a PC with DESKTOP-XXXXXXX where XXXXXXX is a random 7 character alphanumeric string. Naming your PC before assigning license to a Microsoft account helps you to identify your computers and digital licenses when transferring licenses.

Here's how to name a PC when installing Windows 10:

6L1pl1VoGNs
    (Video from thread Tips and tricks - You saw it first on TenForums! Solved - Windows 10 Forums)

To give a descriptive name later, see this tutorial: Change Computer Name in Windows 10 Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

4. I want to transfer my digital liscense, which is connected to my Microsoft Account, from...

Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License  

This is what i get on step 2

I want to transfer my digital liscense, which is connected to my Microsoft Account, from... [​IMG]

MCardona81, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

I want to transfer my digital liscense, which is connected to my Microsoft Account, from...

1. I want to transfer my digital liscense, which is connected to my Microsoft Account, from... - Similar Threads - transfer digital liscense

2. How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?: So a while ago I bought a key to windows 10 home online from microsoft on accident. I already have windows and by the time I caught it it was to late to return it so the key has sat unused in my email. Now however, my nephew is building a computer and would like to use the...
  3. How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?: So a while ago I bought a key to windows 10 home online from microsoft on accident. I already have windows and by the time I caught it it was to late to return it so the key has sat unused in my email. Now however, my nephew is building a computer and would like to use the...
  4. How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to Transfer Digital Liscense to New PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Transfer Digital Liscense to New PC.: I own 2 windows 10 digital licenses that I both purchased for 140 dollars linked to my Microsoft Account. One of them is attached to an old PC that is completely disassembled. How do I transfer that to my new PC when setting up windows?...
  6. How to Transfer Digital Liscense to New PC.

How to Transfer Digital Liscense to New PC.: I own 2 windows 10 digital licenses that I both purchased for 140 dollars linked to my Microsoft Account. One of them is attached to an old PC that is completely disassembled. How do I transfer that to my new PC when setting up windows?...
  7. How to Transfer Digital Liscense to New PC.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Reinstalling digital liscense

Reinstalling digital liscense: i bought my pc that had a windows 10 digital license but currently im running windows 11 on it and i am having trouble i have no clue how to re install my digital license....
  9. If I unlink my Microsoft account with my Digital Liscense, can I still use it?

If I unlink my Microsoft account with my Digital Liscense, can I still use it?: I've wanted to use a different OS for my PC but I want to retain the license/product key for use on another computer. Note that I don't want to transfer my license to a different machine, in short I want to save it for later.Is there any way I can do this?Best regards, BotRod...
  10. Digital Liscense

Digital Liscense: I am trying to downgrade my laptop to Windows 7 as an experiment for a comparison. I used the same product key to obtain an activated version of Windows 10, therefore the product key should work the same. But, I am pretty sure that Windows 7 wont ask for my account...