Windows 10: Icons Gone on destop and taskbar

Discus and support Icons Gone on destop and taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have just switched on my Win10 and all the icons have gone on the desktop and task bar. I need serious help urgently. The icon images in my task bar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jackhandle, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Icons Gone on destop and taskbar

I have just switched on my Win10 and all the icons have gone on the desktop and task bar. I need serious help urgently. The icon images in my task bar have also disappeared and replaced with identical icons. Screen shot attached.

Having just gone into the file system there are no icons or images there either

I have not downloaded anything new recently

David

:)

Jackhandle, Mar 22, 2017

2. How to set up 2 Chrome icons on taskbar?

Right click on the google Chrome icon>Properties>copy the target line command.

On the Destop right click>new>shortcut>paste the target line command>add name for example Google Chrome1>Finish.

Right click on the new Google Chrome1 icon>Pin to Taskbar.

Regards.

IT Guy Viki, Mar 22, 2017
  3. update firmware problemb

I'm updating FW for nokia n95 8gb But but fone power. I open fone agian. but destop not show icon, destop white. you can help me? thank you

phihoanght, Mar 22, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Icons Gone on destop and taskbar

Try an system restore to return your system to a previous time when all was OK.

philc43, Mar 22, 2017
  5. AndreTen Win User
    You could also try to clear and rebuild Icon cache. Tutorial by Brink

If that don work, check permissions on ...User\Appdata\Local folder

AndreTen, Mar 22, 2017
  6. Tried restart several times no luck. Tried going back to a restore point but that failed, apparently there was an error. So what next?

David

Jackhandle, Mar 23, 2017
  7. AndreTen Win User
    Hi David!

Didi you try to rebuild the icon cache, as proposed in post above?

AndreTen, Mar 23, 2017
  8. wiski Win User

As someone having the same issue, it did not unfortunately. My PC was fine last night, started this morning and it's the same as the OP, except I also noticed it tells me to 'Connect to the internet to activate Windows'. When I tell it to activate it tells me it can't reach the Windows activation servers.

Icons Gone on destop and taskbar [​IMG]

I see no recent updates that were done, and rolling back the OS to a week ago with the restore option did not fix the issue. I do not see anything running in the background or starting with Windows. About to start a Malwarebytes search just in case it might be something like that.

EDIT

After a full scan Malwarebytes found nothing.

When I try to right-click and go to Properties on any folder or file, including the Local folder in that location, it does not open any windows for me.

wiski, May 23, 2017
  9. AndreTen Win User
    There are some solutions for this issue, but for Windows 7 systems. Parts of registry could be changed.

Any system tweaking programs updated recently?

I would suggest inplace upgrade Dolwnload latest ISO from MS, mount it and run install. All of the settings and files should remain unchanged. Backup is recommended, thou. There are some other possibilities, but this should be quickest.

AndreTen, May 23, 2017
  10. wiski Win User
    I haven't installed or changed any programs recently, and based on the update history neither has MS.

Is that downloading the ISO via the Windows installation media tool?

wiski, May 23, 2017
  11. AndreTen Win User
    Yes. You can follow tutorials, but is quite obvious. Option 3 should do it (direct download from MS)

This problem is still a mystery (at least for Windows 10), there are some same problems described, but no straight solutions...

Edit: download the same type ISO as you're running now (language and 32 or 64 bit). Only if you didn't upgraded to Creative build, you could do an upgrade.

AndreTen, May 23, 2017
  12. wiski Win User
    Okay, I did the upgrade (remoted in from work) and it looks like it fixed the icon issues, but Windows still wants me to connect to the internet to activate:

Icons Gone on destop and taskbar [​IMG]

I was actually half hoping I would have to do a full restore so I could find a way to block the Creator's Update, but now I worry if I do that I might not be able to activate Windows normally.

wiski, May 23, 2017
  13. wiski Win User

Okay, new development. I was using Ultimate Windows Tweaker because I like to remove the shortcut arrows on my icons, which were back after the upgrade. As soon as I check the option to remove the arrows my icons disappeared again, when I clicked to show the shortcut arrows my icons came back.

Not sure what changed in Windows to have this suddenly cause an issue.

wiski, May 23, 2017
  14. AndreTen Win User
    So there was system tweaker involved after all. It is useful info you provided now, some other user can really benefit from it.

Windows activation is another problem. If everything was in order with first activation, Windows should activate. Nobody else can mess with your computer while you are away?

AndreTen, May 23, 2017
  15. wiski Win User
    As far as System Tweakers go, I hadn't used this one for two months. I installed Windows, used the program to remove the shortcut arrows, uninstalled the program, used Windows for months with no issues, started it this morning and my icons were gone.

That's why I didn't consider it to be any sort of issue, I didn't even remember that I'd ever used it until I saw the shortcut arrows again.

Nah, private computer at home, but I haven't looked at the activation screen for a long time, so for all I know it's been like this for a while. I'm now getting tempted to just reinstalled Windows fresh this afternoon, as it doesn't take long to do. I think I might have actually even made an image after I installed it the first time.

wiski, May 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Icons Gone on destop and taskbar - Similar Threads - Icons Gone destop

2. Icons messed up on destop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons messed up on destop: I've had this issue for a while but it wasn't a problem until recently. I have two screens, when I play a full screen game on display 1, display two goes into 'half' screen mode, it shifts to the right and only shows the left half of what is being displayed. the desktop does...
  3. Icons messed up on destop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons messed up on destop: I've had this issue for a while but it wasn't a problem until recently. I have two screens, when I play a full screen game on display 1, display two goes into 'half' screen mode, it shifts to the right and only shows the left half of what is being displayed. the desktop does...
  4. Icons messed up on destop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. ALL taskbar icons are gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ALL taskbar icons are gone: [ATTACH] Ive tried basically everything that the internet has told me, scanned for malware, deleted iconcache.db and restarted, etc etc. https://preview.redd.it/fe4fw9tnkl261.png?width=1919&format=png&auto=webp&s=429d446858f1612def4f809f2de56e6011376307 submitted by...
  6. Taskbar frozen, icons gone

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar frozen, icons gone: PC, is Acer swift When I started my PC this morning, it would not show any icons on the desktop. Furthermore, the taskbar has frozen. I cannot click anywhere on the taskbar, because I'll get a pop up thats says the application doesnt respond, but it might if I wait and I...
  7. Network icon is gone in taskbar

Network icon is gone in taskbar: The computer icon with the eithernet connector (or if on Wi-Fi, the wifi logo) in the taskbar is gone from my system. And when I try to activate it from setting>taskbar my volume control icon turns on and off instead of making my network icon appear shown here with orage...
  8. The battery icon on the taskbar is gone

The battery icon on the taskbar is gone: My battery icon has gone missing for some reason, I can't turn it on either as you can see in the picture. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-battery-icon-on-the-taskbar-is-gone/16ecac25-fc3f-40c3-8f5a-0cd8f81dda91
  9. Taskbar Icon Tray gone

Taskbar Icon Tray gone: I rebooted my pc and came back to all of my icons spread out on my taskbar. I tried consulting Windows Tech Support but they didn't help and provided me a howtogeek article. I can't drag the icons on top of each other to put them in the tray, and the arrow is gone. I don't...
  10. Taskbar Icons gone

Taskbar Icons gone: aLL OF A SUDDEN SOME OF MY tASKBAR iONS ARE NOW GREYED OUT/SAME COLOR AS THE TASKBAR ITSELF. i TRIED CHANGING THE COLOR BUT NO JOY! wHY IS THIS HAPPENING https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-icons-gone/250e7e32-28c7-4856-b36b-8209c902d12d