Windows 10: Inadvertently activated my Microsoft Account on the my wife's computer

Discus and support Inadvertently activated my Microsoft Account on the my wife's computer in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I purchased a laptop for my wife and inadvertently activated my Microsoft Account on it now both my computer and her's have my account. How do I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by BobN256, Sep 13, 2018.

1. BobN256 Win User

Inadvertently activated my Microsoft Account on the my wife's computer

I purchased a laptop for my wife and inadvertently activated my Microsoft Account on it now both my computer and her's have my account. How do I activate her account on her computer without missing up my system? Thank you in advance.

:)

BobN256, Sep 13, 2018

2. Child inadvertently changed administrator on computer

Hi Denyse,

It is possible that your daughter accidentally linked her Microsoft Account to your Windows 10 computer. You can follow these simple steps to confirm:

• Make sure you're signed in with the administrator account (your daughter's account where your files are).
    • In the search bar, type Settings then hit
      Enter
    • Click on Accounts.
    • When the Account Settings menu opens, you'll see the email address of the active Microsoft Account.
    Once you've confirmed that the active Microsoft Account is your daughter's, we can proceed to un-link her account from your computer. You can follow these steps to convert the Microsoft account back to a local user:

• On the Account Settings menu, click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    • The Switch to a local account window will appear, type in the current password then click on
      Next.
    • Enter the local username and password you want to use then click on
      Next.
    • Click on Sign out and finish.
    You need to sign back in. This time, sign in as the local admin user you've just set up. That local user account should have all your files and documents on it.

If you need further assistance, let us know.

Jezhel Uga, Sep 13, 2018
  3. Windows 10 only allows login with Microsoft account, my Wife's account is not available on login screen.

Hi Scott,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will be glad to assist you with your issue.

This issue might have occurred if your Wife account was a Local Account and when you have Synchronized your Microsoft Account to play Mine craft game, your Wife local account might have got synchronized to your Microsoft Account and
    hence the user account is your Microsoft Account now. However to be sure if this is the issue, I suggest you to check how many user accounts are listed on the laptop.

1. Login to the system with your ID and password.

2. Now right click on the Start menu
    and select Control panel.

3. Open User Accounts.

4. Now select Manage another account.

5. Check if your Wife user account is listed there.

If your Wife account is not listed there then it means your Microsoft account is synchronized with the local account. In this case you can convert the account in to local Account again. However we suggest you to create another
    Microsoft Account as it is required to download and play games and apps from Windows Store.

Step 1: To convert Microsoft Account into Local Account.

1. Click on the Start Menu and select
    settings.

2. Now select Accounts.

3. Click on the Your e-mail and accounts
    and click on the option Sign in with a Local account instead.

4. follow the onscreen instruction.

Step 2: To create New Microsoft user account.

You can refer to the link below for more information on
    how to create new user account:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Note: Applies to Windows 10 as well.

For reference: One email address to sign in everywhere

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Sep 13, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

Change Microsoft Account Details in Administrator Account

Hi Daryl, welcome to the Ten Forums.

It's quite easy in fact, simply switch the account in question first to a local account, then switch back to a Microsoft account, this time using your wife's MS account credentials.

Tutorials:
    Notice that before doing this you need to remove the new additional MS account on the PC, the one you created with her credentials. Windows allows only one user account for each email address, if the new account exists you cannot switch the original administrator account to an MS account using the same email address. Tutorial: User Account - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Thema:

1. Inadvertently activated my Microsoft Account on the my wife's computer - Similar Threads - Inadvertently activated Microsoft

2. My wife logged in to her Microsoft account, now to get into my PC my wife's credentials are...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My wife logged in to her Microsoft account, now to get into my PC my wife's credentials are...: My PC is running Windows 11. On my PC my wife logged in to her Microsoft account to update a payment credit card. Now to get into my PC my wife's credentials are requested. She appears to be now the Administrator of my PC. How do I rectify this?...
  3. My wife logged in to her Microsoft account, now to get into my PC my wife's credentials are...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My wife logged in to her Microsoft account, now to get into my PC my wife's credentials are...: My PC is running Windows 11. On my PC my wife logged in to her Microsoft account to update a payment credit card. Now to get into my PC my wife's credentials are requested. She appears to be now the Administrator of my PC. How do I rectify this?...
  4. My wife's microsoft account is locked.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My wife's microsoft account is locked.: I am setting up a new computer for my wife and her microsoft account is locked. We live in a cell phone dead spot so are unable to receive text messages. I got on chat and was there for an hour in the first spot and then kicked off. How do I unlock her account?...
  5. My wife's microsoft account is locked.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My wife's microsoft account is locked.: I am setting up a new computer for my wife and her microsoft account is locked. We live in a cell phone dead spot so are unable to receive text messages. I got on chat and was there for an hour in the first spot and then kicked off. How do I unlock her account?...
  6. I logged into my Microsoft account on my wife's computer, now Microsoft hijacked Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    I logged into my Microsoft account on my wife's computer, now Microsoft hijacked Windows: I installed an app from the Microsoft store on my wife's computer. It required a Microsoft login to do that, so I used mine. Well, it applied that account to everything in Windows and now my wife's computer has my computer's wallpaper, taskbar theme, and I still haven't found...
  7. Change Microsoft account on my wife's laptop.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Change Microsoft account on my wife's laptop.: My wife started a new job and received a brand new laptop from her employer. When setting up the laptop she used the Microsoft account information we already use on our personal computer. Can we remove our personal Microsoft account from the laptop and use a new account?...
  8. My Local account is showing account details for my wife's Microsoft Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My Local account is showing account details for my wife's Microsoft Account: When I try to access my Local Account, I am unable to switch to my own Microsoft Account - message saying that another user on this device is already using this account. In addition, in the section where I should list my 'Accounts used by other apps', I have my Wife's...
  9. My wife is on my account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    My wife is on my account: Microsoft want allow my wife to use Office 365 on our computer. It seems to have as needing an account in her name???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wife-is-on-my-account/e5b78438-b155-4545-80b6-347833b83c4e"
  10. Open an account for my wife

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Open an account for my wife: I have tried to find a way to open an extra account for my wife but all links just open my existing account and the only link on there is to add any existing accounts I might have...