Windows 10: Is there a way to eliminate / delay this hovering text in the taskbar?

Discus and support Is there a way to eliminate / delay this hovering text in the taskbar? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This hovering text is very annoying: [img] I understand the hovering text describes what your mouse pointer is actually hovering over; but if the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EyeInTheSky, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Is there a way to eliminate / delay this hovering text in the taskbar?

This hovering text is very annoying:

Is there a way to eliminate / delay this hovering text in the taskbar? [​IMG]

I understand the hovering text describes what your mouse pointer is actually hovering over; but if the pointer is locked into the hovering text field by the slightest accidental movement of the mouse, the actual click you make doesn't trigger the icons action, it triggers the selection within the next available actions of the icon.

The hovering text wouldn't be a problem if it had a delay of say five seconds; but the hovering text field shows up immediately as soon as the pointer hits the icon, making it near impossible to accurately use a right mouse click action to use the next available fields of actions produced by a right click.

I have come across this:

Go to Start > Run (Winkey+R) and type regedit, press enter
    Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Advanced
    Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value named ExtendedUIHoverTime
    Double-click ExtendedUIHoverTime and select Decimal
    Enter a value in milliseconds (1 s = 1000 ms) that will “delay” the popup
    Restart computer

However, it doesn't work because the article was from 2014.

Any other ideas I can try?

:)

EyeInTheSky, Oct 3, 2018
  2. Eddo51 Win User

Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10

Rather than set delay time value to wait, I want to set "time to show list" while hovering over a taskbar icon. Is there a registry setting that controls this? Thanks.

Eddo51, Oct 3, 2018
  3. How to OPEN Programs in Taskbar Preview WITHOUT Clicking ??

@Triliuner I'm sorry to hear it's not as simple as that.

When you have multiple windows opened from a single application e.g. 2 separate windows from Chrome, do they show up as previews when you hover over Chrome's icon in the taskbar, or as a list? Just asking to clarify that, they are at least showing as previews. If not, this should help: Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

As for the different windows not showing when you hover your mouse over a preview, maybe it has something to do with the delay, see here: Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials (restoring the default value)

I hope that helps, if not, maybe others can suggest some other things to try..

TheDeerDude, Oct 3, 2018
  4. cjkelly83 Win User

Is there a way to eliminate / delay this hovering text in the taskbar?

WIndows 10 Hover select delay

Hi thanks for this. the option is listed here in the old stye control panel but it is not listed in the same place in the modern style settings windows.

Now for the next part of my question, can the delay be changed for the switch between windows? I like hover select and want to keep it but the setting in control panel only lets me turn it on or off.

Is there something in the registry that needs changed? Or is there a simpler solution?

cjkelly83, Oct 3, 2018
Thema:

Is there a way to eliminate / delay this hovering text in the taskbar?

1. Is there a way to eliminate / delay this hovering text in the taskbar? - Similar Threads - eliminate delay hovering

2. Is there a way to focus on hover?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to focus on hover?: Hi! I have a laptop which runs windows 11 and I use alot of custom shortcuts using the windows powertools aplication and in specific the "minimize window" shortcut wich minimizes the currently focused window, while it works well I would prefer to be able to focus on a window...
  3. Is there a way to focus on hover?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to focus on hover?: Hi! I have a laptop which runs windows 11 and I use alot of custom shortcuts using the windows powertools aplication and in specific the "minimize window" shortcut wich minimizes the currently focused window, while it works well I would prefer to be able to focus on a window...
  4. Hovering mouse delays in my PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hovering mouse delays in my PC: I have wired mouse on my PC however it is delays and sometimes it will not move. I check if this mouse works in my laptop and it works fine. I tried to use different USB port on the PC but the problem continues. Unfortunately, I dont have different mouse that I can try, this...
  5. Hovering mouse delays in my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hovering mouse delays in my PC: I have wired mouse on my PC however it is delays and sometimes it will not move. I check if this mouse works in my laptop and it works fine. I tried to use different USB port on the PC but the problem continues. Unfortunately, I dont have different mouse that I can try, this...
  6. Is there a way to delay the unhide of the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to delay the unhide of the taskbar?: I have “automatically hide taskbar” but i’d like it to take a bit longer to show up when i move the cursor down. submitted by /u/mare1999 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/me6o8v/is_there_a_way_to_delay_the_unhide_of_the_taskbar/
  7. Taskbar Hover Text Stuck

Taskbar Hover Text Stuck: [ATTACH] My mouse will hover over an icon on the toolbar and when it leaves the toolbar, it still has the text hover above it when the mouse is nowhere near it. This has been going on for years with no answers anywhere. submitted by /u/Grunstrag [link] [comments]...
  8. Is there a way to remove the delay before taskbar thumbnails disappear?

Is there a way to remove the delay before taskbar thumbnails disappear?: submitted by /u/themoredeviousduck [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ip2p2i/is_there_a_way_to_remove_the_delay_before_taskbar/
  9. Remove hovering text for Taskbar apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove hovering text for Taskbar apps: Hi all, How do I remove the text box when you hover over an app? I do a lot with Excel and Google sheets. Often when accessing tabs, the hovering text is triggered. The text hovers over their tabs and is slow to disappear, it costs time and causes frustration. It also...
  10. Taskbar eliminator

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar eliminator: I use my W10 machine for media viewing, and I have batch scripts configured to launch programs from Jriver Media center. When new programs launch, my taskbar raises, and the taskbar icon for that program blinks. I want to prevent the taskbar from raising because its...