Windows 10: Is there a way to eliminate / delay this hovering text in the taskbar?

Discus and support Is there a way to eliminate / delay this hovering text in the taskbar? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This hovering text is very annoying: [img] I understand the hovering text describes what your mouse pointer is actually hovering over; but if the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EyeInTheSky, Oct 3, 2018.

1. EyeInTheSky Win User

Is there a way to eliminate / delay this hovering text in the taskbar?

This hovering text is very annoying:

Is there a way to eliminate / delay this hovering text in the taskbar? [​IMG]

I understand the hovering text describes what your mouse pointer is actually hovering over; but if the pointer is locked into the hovering text field by the slightest accidental movement of the mouse, the actual click you make doesn't trigger the icons action, it triggers the selection within the next available actions of the icon.

The hovering text wouldn't be a problem if it had a delay of say five seconds; but the hovering text field shows up immediately as soon as the pointer hits the icon, making it near impossible to accurately use a right mouse click action to use the next available fields of actions produced by a right click.

I have come across this:

Go to Start > Run (Winkey+R) and type regedit, press enter
    Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Advanced
    Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value named ExtendedUIHoverTime
    Double-click ExtendedUIHoverTime and select Decimal
    Enter a value in milliseconds (1 s = 1000 ms) that will “delay” the popup
    Restart computer

However, it doesn't work because the article was from 2014.

Any other ideas I can try?

:)

EyeInTheSky, Oct 3, 2018
  2. Eddo51 Win User

Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10

Rather than set delay time value to wait, I want to set "time to show list" while hovering over a taskbar icon. Is there a registry setting that controls this? Thanks.

Eddo51, Oct 3, 2018
  3. TheDeerDude Win User
    How to OPEN Programs in Taskbar Preview WITHOUT Clicking ??

@Triliuner I'm sorry to hear it's not as simple as that.

When you have multiple windows opened from a single application e.g. 2 separate windows from Chrome, do they show up as previews when you hover over Chrome's icon in the taskbar, or as a list? Just asking to clarify that, they are at least showing as previews. If not, this should help: Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

As for the different windows not showing when you hover your mouse over a preview, maybe it has something to do with the delay, see here: Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials (restoring the default value)

I hope that helps, if not, maybe others can suggest some other things to try..

TheDeerDude, Oct 3, 2018
  4. cjkelly83 Win User

WIndows 10 Hover select delay

Hi thanks for this. the option is listed here in the old stye control panel but it is not listed in the same place in the modern style settings windows.

Now for the next part of my question, can the delay be changed for the switch between windows? I like hover select and want to keep it but the setting in control panel only lets me turn it on or off.

Is there something in the registry that needs changed? Or is there a simpler solution?

cjkelly83, Oct 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Is there a way to eliminate / delay this hovering text in the taskbar? - Similar Threads - eliminate delay hovering

2. Taskbar Reveal Delay Setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Reveal Delay Setting: I put my taskbar is on the left side of the screen for various reasons that I won't go into. I autohide it. My problem is when I accidently mouse over to click something on the very left of a screen, I accidentally trigger the unhide and the taskbar then covers whatever I...
  3. Question about hovering text.

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about hovering text.: Is there a way to turn off the hovering text that appears when you leave your mouse cursor inactive over a file or folder? I have provided a screenshot of what I want to turn off if possible. The red arrow points to what I want to turn off. [img] I know this is a helpful...
  4. Strange pink highlight on hover/tooltip text

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange pink highlight on hover/tooltip text: For some reason tooltip/hover text and some other text (often for settings) is highlighted pink. This is shown in the screenshot. I believe in previous versions of windows you could change this in "advanced apperance options" however that was removed in windows 8 and 10 (I...
  5. TASKBAR in the way SOLUTION

in Windows 10 Support
    TASKBAR in the way SOLUTION: The TASKBAR in all Windows versions has been annoying. No matter where you move it, it is in the way of something. They added a feature to automatically hide the taskbar which for some reason still doesn't work reliably in Windows 10. How about THIS? All the CORNERS of...
  6. Hovering text on my screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Hovering text on my screen: I have a hovering text on my screen that is coming from another window ( another opened Chrome window) Why does it happen, and how can i get rid of it without rebooting ? [img] 33690
  7. Taskbar Gets In The Way

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Gets In The Way: I need to position my cursor arrow at the bottom of the screen in order to scroll left and right so that I can see what I am reading or typing (as now) but the taskbar (which I hope to avoid using) keeps jumping up and getting in the way whenever the arrow is near it. Can I...
  8. Is there a way to eliminate &Apos in a newsfeed.

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a way to eliminate &Apos in a newsfeed.: Is follow several newsfeeds using Netvibes. In one of them, USA Today, apostrophes are replaced by &Apos. The same is true for double quotes. See the bottom line in the attached Screenpresso shot. Is there a way to get rid of them? Thank you. [img] 96477
  9. Hidden icons on the taskbar....how to eliminate it...???

in Windows 10 Support
    Hidden icons on the taskbar....how to eliminate it...???: I get that they feel the need to put new stuff in... but this just annoys the crap right outta me. I'm opening programs, and no freakin icon is appearing in my task bar. Please oh please tell me there's a way to eliminate this latest annoyance.... Tanks... 2111
  10. Taskbar eliminator

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar eliminator: I use my W10 machine for media viewing, and I have batch scripts configured to launch programs from Jriver Media center. When new programs launch, my taskbar raises, and the taskbar icon for that program blinks. I want to prevent the taskbar from raising because its...